Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, August 31st 2009  (Read 3327 times)

fintail1

• got milt?
Tidal Fraser River, August 31st 2009
« on: August 31, 2009, 06:30:29 PM »

Got one today and lost about 3 others at no. 3 rd today on fly, fly is definitely the way to go for pinks as there were lure fisherman there and they didnt get a sniff and i got like 5 hits, so they are there and are starting to move in from sandheads.  Was fishing at 1-2:30
Fishing is one jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other

redlad

Re: Tidal Fraser River, August 31st 2009
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 06:48:30 PM »

I prefer fly as well, but...

I was working today but my young (11 & 13 years old) fishing buddies called in from the middle arm.  They had two on the bank and lost one at the shore, they are still out there fishing for more.

Nitroholic

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 07:58:54 PM »

going to try the low tide tomorrow, see if that will produce anything for me.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 08:54:37 PM »

On my way home from work this evening I checked out the Haney Wharf to see what was going on. Not a single person had a fish. I cant believe how many people are already down there trying. The dock is packed with people and the bulk of the run has not even started. My advice is to avoid the Haney Wharf.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 08:57:13 PM »

Haney wharf has always been a gong show during pink season. I like to go down there and stand above them all just for a good laugh.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 09:11:41 PM »

Haney wharf has always been a gong show during pink season. I like to go down there and stand above them all just for a good laugh.

Ya I knew that but usually once the word gets out that people are catching fish. Even last week it was busy. I agree though its good for a laugh ;)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 09:59:24 PM »

Fort Langley gave up one tonight (I invited him to a BBQ at my place and he graciously accepted) around 8pm, just as the light was fading, to a chrome/pink spinner... few jumpers but fairly quiet overall
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 11:19:10 PM »

Again crazy out at Sandheads.... between the 2 lighthouses.  At 2:30 there was maybe 8 boats out ...mostly around the north lighthouse....... by 4pm on ... must of been 20-30 boats...& the pack moved between the lighthouses...jumping all over the place & thick with fish.  Noticed though that many fish have moved up river...with the tide...(don't know if they will swim back to join the main pack or they will continue to move up river.) About a mile or so west of Steveston Harbour ...there was a thick pack of 15 fish in the main channel on the display screen. Seen boats land fish at times.... I lost one near the boat...Man...I'm jixed I've lost about 3-4 ... my dad has lost about 7 but he has landed 3 at least. He never got a hit today . Tried a pink coyote spoon.... 4 oz banana sinker...4-5 ft leader... & tried various lures.... Dad tried 12 oz ...& dicknite ... From what I read on a post a fly is the way to go.... I imagine pink/orange colored fly with 2-3 oz weight 4-5 ft leader may do the "trick". There is so many pink at the mouth so definately my results are not good ...have to change up my method. Gotta give it a break as been out 4 days straight ...then with juggling work... Still have some cooked pink salmon in the fridge plus what a great day to be on the water...sun..& great views ..fresh air...water for Sandheads was great though a little more choppy...but not un safe. When coming in seen alot of shore fishermen...On finder some fish near the park.... but not as many as yesterday showing. As Rod has stated the 1st week of Sept etc... be ready as those pinks will move in numbers up river.... :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 11:21:47 PM by arimaBOATER »

bcsixgill

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 11:59:19 PM »

Hit Gary point for a few hours in the early afternoon.  Saw a few fish rolling but no takers.  Didn't see anyone else catching anything either.  Drove over the Fishing pier along the dyke.  It was crowded but only one pink from a guy who caught it earlier.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 09:59:23 AM »

Had one on and lost it. I cannot land them. Had a big school go by at 1pm and lasted about 45 min. They are tight lipped though.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 10:44:53 AM »

Put one on that dock dinnertime yesterday, nice buck that went back, Pink BF spinner #4

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 12:36:31 PM »

Checked out and fished shortly at Brownsville after work. Not too many fishermen, and no pinks hooked or landed. Didn't see any fish on the shore either, so probably not much action before I went there. Water is still not that good. Hope the major runs will happen soon.

hookme

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 12:09:26 AM »

I was in Browseville also 8:15 PM 3 were caught and one  guy hookup a 52 lbs sturgen It was a good sight to see I wish I had my Camera with me  :-[

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 12:31:36 AM »

Too bad. I left before 8:00PM when the wife called 'dinner is ready'.  ;D

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 10:06:14 AM »

Had one on and lost it. I cannot land them. Had a big school go by at 1pm and lasted about 45 min. They are tight lipped though.

pinks have soft mouths, if you play them too hard they'll pop out unless you have a great hookset.  The best rods I know still lose a fair number.