Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, September 2nd 2009: Trip to Remember  (Read 4667 times)

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
Tidal Fraser River, September 2nd 2009: Trip to Remember
« on: September 02, 2009, 02:57:35 PM »

Not in the numbers of fish but still one to remember. Got down to the lower Fraser at ten or so and I had just bought some pink flies to try on the island this weekend and decided to try them on the fraser. Brought out the 6 wt. and on the 5th cast I hooked into something. I originaly thought it was a squafish but then it took off. I was into my backing and the fish was 100m down river. I just realized I had a trout leader on which was 3lb test. By now I had the fish down river and I caught up to it. Now I had to land it. After some slipping on the rocks we landed it. I am now 1 for 6 in pinks and my first ever salmon on the fly. Needless to say all my pinks will now be on the fly ;) we had the one school go through but other then that it went dead. Good luck to all and another few days it will be good :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Tidal Fraser River, September 2nd 2009: Trip to Remember
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 03:34:11 PM »

Nice work steely.  It's a whole different ballgame with the flyrod isn't it :)

Nitroholic

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 04:30:03 PM »

went out for a couple hours in the south arm, saw one little school go through and saw someone hook into one. Might try again tonight before the rains come

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 05:09:48 PM »

I am heading out in about 30 minutes. Its almost addictive right now. I am 0-1 and you just never know when they will come in big numbers so you keep going, and going and going LOL

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 08:44:35 PM »

It is addictive. I have been down 12 days in the last two weeks. I almost can say I deserved that fish ;) heading out tomorrow too. I am going with the fly from now on ;D

Sinaran

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 08:59:57 PM »

I am heading out in about 30 minutes. Its almost addictive right now. I am 0-1 and you just never know when they will come in big numbers so you keep going, and going and going LOL
i thought u moved to the island already last year?  good to have another hotrod back.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 09:00:42 PM »

Today was the day to remember for sure... Full story to come. ;)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »

i thought u moved to the island already last year?  good to have another hotrod back.

18 months over there. Moved back because I know everyone missed me ;)

OK here is my story tonight.

Screw the logical tide scenarios where they should be there during the incoming to peak high tide. Two nights in a row I have tortured myself with this. So here is what happened. I show up 2 hours before the peak tide. I am walking towards the water and I see fish finning and jumping. Quickly I get my rod together and make some casts. I get one on and lose it a few seconds into the fight. 5 minutes later it just dies. I fish for another 2.5 hours and past the peak high tide. Not one more fish surfaced ( well other than a few sturgeon )

Tomorrow I am going against everything logical and fishing inbetween both the low and high tides in the afternoon. We'll see what happens.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 11:07:22 PM »

18 months over there. Moved back because I know everyone missed me ;)

OK here is my story tonight.

Screw the logical tide scenarios where they should be there during the incoming to peak high tide. Two nights in a row I have tortured myself with this. So here is what happened. I show up 2 hours before the peak tide. I am walking towards the water and I see fish finning and jumping. Quickly I get my rod together and make some casts. I get one on and lose it a few seconds into the fight. 5 minutes later it just dies. I fish for another 2.5 hours and past the peak high tide. Not one more fish surfaced ( well other than a few sturgeon )

Tomorrow I am going against everything logical and fishing inbetween both the low and high tides in the afternoon. We'll see what happens.
I have had most of my luck mid morning and I never watch tides as I have had the same amount of luck at all tides. However on the incoming tide I have found the fish become more willing to bite but not as many around.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 11:18:40 PM »

Hooked into one fish but lost it after 30 -40 sec. ...but the pinks were all over again ...surfacing...20 ft ...50 ft etc... in the Sandheads area. The fish were also moving in in big swarms 1-2 miles up river from the lighthouse jumping...finning... BUT they were also in big numbers right from the port of Steveston.... imagine many east of there as well........... should be great fishing in the Richmond area for the next week or more....& up river. (if the rains hit the pinks will really be moving or should anyways.) Next time I'm bring a casting rod & am going to put a buzz bomb into the pack of surfacing fish) But regardless of getting no landed fish... it was a special day as it was so beautiful !!! Sun... no wind...nature...& seeing so many boats out on the river & Sandheads........must of been 50 or so ...(spread out today)...& seeing so many on the shore of Gerry Pk... it's a great relaxation & good for the mind ... in this "crazy world" (ha)...GOING TO OUT SMART THESE FISH YET....my lureS went past literally 100's -1000's of pink & they just ignored it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 11:20:41 PM by arimaBOATER »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 09:07:41 AM »

Nice story Rod - 'The pink fever begins!'

Wonder if the boss would let take the day off tomorrow  ??? - I feel a chill coming on with aches and pains.. ah choo..  ;D
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 09:13:22 AM »

I feel a chill coming on with aches and pains.. ah choo..  ;D

WOW Your condition sounds bad, you better take a few days off.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 09:27:09 AM »

Wonder if the boss would let take the day off tomorrow  ??? - I feel a chill coming on with aches and pains.. ah choo..  ;D

Tell your boss that you have contracted the Swine flu. Guarantee he will give you a few days off, perhaps a week or so :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 12:11:43 PM »

Rod - you should actually check the PSC test fishing stats  to see the Pinks are more or less on track with the historical records of the past several years. Only 2003 saw a significant number enter the river in last 10 or 15 days of August and the first big wave normally comes in early in the month of Sept with a further surges into Sept. One key has been the change in the weather. Cooler temperatures, overcast and a bit of rain will trigger a surge of fish of all species.

However telling peopel they should be there by the last ten days is sure a good way to sell a lot of extra tackle and create some buzz on the web site. Happy pink fishing everyone!
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024