Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, September 2nd 2009: Trip to Remember  (Read 4659 times)

bluenoser

Re: Tidal Fraser River, September 2nd 2009: Trip to Remember
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 12:20:39 PM »

Great story Rod, the pictures as well.

I spent an hour on Deas Island casting and talking with a couple guys with no hits between us, another guy showed up and caught one on his second cast....it was small too just like the ones in Rodney's blog.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 12:31:13 PM »

Hi Ralph, not sure where I've given the impression that the big mass of the run would be here earlier as I agree with you that they are right on track, like I stated in this post:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=21409.msg203709#msg203709

While my business involves generating angling interest, my intent is not to deceive people so I could generate business for my advertisers. I hope that was not the suggestion here.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 12:52:59 PM »

I just looked over the PSC website regarding the pink runs. I went back as far as 2003. Not one year is consistant with the other. In 2003 they had a great run with big numbers coming in all the way into the third week of September. 2005, and 2007 both never had pinks in the third week of September.

The best thing is to head out and keep at it. When they come they come. The best plan of attack is to get out a few hours before the peak high tide

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 01:46:25 PM »

The best plan of attack is to get out a few hours before the peak high tide

So the "screw the conventional logic" plan didn't pan out or you havent tried it yet?  :D    I was into half a dozen or so yesterday and the new fisherman I brought with me caught his first salmon ever.....what a great way to introduce somebody to fishing.  About an 8lb buck too....marinating as I'm posting this !

lets see what this afternoon brings :D  Hoping for a gong show !!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 02:21:03 PM »

So the "screw the conventional logic" plan didn't pan out or you havent tried it yet?  :D    I was into half a dozen or so yesterday and the new fisherman I brought with me caught his first salmon ever.....what a great way to introduce somebody to fishing.  About an 8lb buck too....marinating as I'm posting this !

lets see what this afternoon brings :D  Hoping for a gong show !!

Well this morning I showed up about an hour before the peak tide. Fish were jumping and I missed one. About 15 minutes later they were gone and 2 more hours of fishing and maybe a total of 3 fish jumped. I have a feeling I missed it by about an hour ( which would mean I would have had to start fishing in the dark at 5am, no thanks ) So new plan of attack today is showing up about 3 hours before the peak high tide. 3rd time is the charm right ;)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 02:33:11 PM »

Hey Rod - think I was referring your "Each day when no fish are caught, I become more excited and worried at the same time. As other years, we started searching for pink salmon in the Tidal Fraser River around August 20th because small schools often sneak into the river during incoming tides. In previous years, I was always able to connect with a few fish and successfully land them before the massive run arrived."

Not much to worry about (but much to get excited about!)  as there have been large numbers of Pinks in the Southern approach for a month or more and for at least 2 weeks PSC has stated their regulatory announcements the run would exceed 12 million and now estimates at 17.5.

I have graphed the test catches at Whonnock for every cycle from 2001 to 2007 to the middle of September and other than 2003 they are all very close together from middle Aug to middle Sept.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 03:14:13 PM »

Ah, I should clarify that part a bit more because I wrote that under the assumption that those who follow the blog have read the previous entries because the fishing trip ones are kind of like episodes so one follow the previous one.

I wasn't worried that the fish were late or were not coming, but I was worried that I was not landing them earlier than I should while my fishing companions who we have a friendly competition with each season (who catches the first one) were already into fish.

The peak is always in mid September but personally I find the late August/early September fishery much more exciting because the element of chase is more involved (as opposed to going down to the river during each incoming tide and getting a fish on every blind cast).

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 03:35:05 PM »

Well this morning I showed up about an hour before the peak tide. Fish were jumping and I missed one. About 15 minutes later they were gone and 2 more hours of fishing and maybe a total of 3 fish jumped. I have a feeling I missed it by about an hour ( which would mean I would have had to start fishing in the dark at 5am, no thanks ) So new plan of attack today is showing up about 3 hours before the peak high tide. 3rd time is the charm right ;)

Just headed out the door myself :D  good luck out there.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 03:41:06 PM »

Well, well...reading all of this gets my blood up.   It looks like I have the day off tomorrow so I am going to be out on the South Arm chasing them with the incoming tide and hoping for the best.

I tried for them in New West last night because it was an easy drive for me but there was nothing there yet.   There were a few fishermen about and they were not getting into anything either.  It seems it was a bit early there but, from all this talk, that could be different today.

Tommorrow will be my first time seriously chasing these on the Fraser and I am not going to annoy anybody by asking about specific spots.  Just a general question:

Is the South Arm better than the North Arm at this time?   
Is it worth trying for them on the outgoing tide?  (...it seems not from the posts I have read but I am just curious if anybody has tried).
It looks like it is going to rain tomorrow.  What techniques work best on overcast days?  (I was thinking larger, less shiny spoons or larger flies if flyfishing).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 03:43:41 PM by fishseeker »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 03:49:26 PM »

South Arm should produce better than North Arm, as it always has early in the season.

Focus on the incoming tide, the head and tail ends of it. There are fish coming in during the outgoing too, but nothing like what you would see during the incoming right now.

Weather/lighting does not have much effect on fishing for them down here except perhaps improving their sight in the murky water on a sunny day. These fish are not shy and will bite if they see your lure or fly.

Also, the fishing around New West should be just as good as Richmond now, since fish passing by Richmond will have to pass through New West as they head upstream.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 04:21:38 PM »

Thanks Rodney, thats good to know.  I certainly found out how agressive they can be when I was up at Campbell River last week.  Very active on pink wool with a fly rod and very hard to keep them on.

Interesting about New West because I was there right on the tail end of a good incoming flood tide and it was very quiet.  I will have to try there again over the weekend.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2009, 05:11:17 PM »

I don't fish the lower end of the Fraser much but when I've been out the folks I've chatted with around New West have told me the south (Surrey) side is far better and not many fish seem to swim the North Bank above Annacis Island. Perhaps that  because most enter the South Arm or the strong influence of the Pitt makes it easier for them to scent their natal streams on the south bank. That is consistent with my experience fishing around home though I mostly prefer it up the valley.This seems to equalize by the time fish get around Derby Reach and Haney, so if you can fish the Surrey bank of the river.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024