Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RCMP Checking fisherman?  (Read 19815 times)

robj

RCMP Checking fisherman?
« on: September 03, 2009, 05:27:42 PM »

I was driving home from work, past a popular fishing spot on River Road.  See one car parked with a RCMP crusier beside it.  There were 2 guys there, with their fishing rods leaning against the cruiser.  Both of the guys were in handcuffs.  Wondering if the RCMP are now enforcing fisheries?  Drove by that spot and fished it many times during the years and never seen the RCMP checking anyone.  This may be a good warning to make sure you are all legal when fishing for pinks.  I know it is sometimes easy to forget to pinch the barbs.

Have a great day

Rob.

kaolinite

Re: RCMP Checking fisherman?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 05:50:17 PM »

I also think the RCMP are enforcing the rules, over the past few days iv seen them at my favorite fishing spot. Just looking down at everyone, didnt do anything just watched, no fish were landed tho so maybe if you have caught somthing then they will check you.

as for the barbs i belive all stores in region 2 should be responsible for their product and have none barbless hooks / pinching the products they sell. I see way to many people fishing with the barbs still up, easily over 50% of the people out on the fraser right now have the barbs up

poncho

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 06:02:59 PM »

I'm a municipal officer and we do enforcement in regards to sport fishing. It is up to every officer, as there is no real directive to do this.

I usually just check for licences and make sure people aren't keeping sturgeon.

Hook Set

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:18:09 PM »

I also think the RCMP are enforcing the rules, over the past few days iv seen them at my favorite fishing spot. Just looking down at everyone, didnt do anything just watched, no fish were landed tho so maybe if you have caught somthing then they will check you.

as for the barbs i belive all stores in region 2 should be responsible for their product and have none barbless hooks / pinching the products they sell. I see way to many people fishing with the barbs still up, easily over 50% of the people out on the fraser right now have the barbs up

Although it would be nice to have stores do this, they simply do not have the time to be spending it doing this, they would need new staff to pinch all those hooks. Also most packages hooks are packaged barbed and therefor the stores can't be opening everything up and pinching.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 07:36:44 PM »

I have been checked by RCMP at the Mamquam bar for my fishing license before.......
always a student

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 08:38:54 PM »

I was checked by a RCMP several weeks ago. A fellow fisherman, so we chatted at length. As to the two guys that were handcuffed I suspect that it's for something more serious than fishing with a barbed hook.

kaolinite

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 08:48:46 PM »

Although it would be nice to have stores do this, they simply do not have the time to be spending it doing this, they would need new staff to pinch all those hooks. Also most packages hooks are packaged barbed and therefor the stores can't be opening everything up and pinching.

Barbs are a industry invention, it is more economical to make all hooks barbed than unbarbed because it fits all fishing industries worldwide. Yes it is more convenient for industry but thats the problem. When people start to get greedy and think of profits before people (or in this case fish) problems are bound to happen.

I'm sure most local stores are passionate about fishing and would welcome the idea of all gear being unbarbed but they would also risk the loss of sales to competing stores that would continue to sell barbed gear so they simply do not change.

profits over everything. hell this site would not exist if it was not making profit.... think about that
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:50:20 PM by kaolinite »

robj

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 09:30:44 PM »

I don't think that having barbed hooks will get you handcuffed.  But it may have started as a license check and then the Mounty found some other stuff, and out came the cuffs.  Regardless stay within the rules and you have nothing to worry about.

Have a great day

Rob.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 10:27:16 PM »

There are fisheries in region 2 where barbs are allowed so that is why they sell them.  If DFO had a greater presence on our rivers this wouldn't be a problem.  From my observations most anglers comply with the barbless regulation.

Uncivil

• 'Geers on Gear
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 11:25:09 PM »

I was checked by a fisheries officer at the foot of Five road this afternoon.  Good to see them out moreoften.  No fish though
We can build it, take me to your Banker!

mr.p

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »

I've been checked by RCMP once years ago at a road block near Peg Leg.
Quick check of the license and a breif chat and I was on my way.
I think they are more interested in outstanding warrants, DUIs, etc.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 11:31:57 AM »

INSPECTION
If asked, you must allow a Conservation Officer, Fishery Officer, RCMP Constable, Park Ranger in a Provincial Park, Park Warden in a National Park or an Officer under the Wildlife Act to examine your fishing licence, gear and catch.

Hollis

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 11:45:34 AM »

Is it possible to do a Citizens arrest in the event you see regulations being violated?
The Fish Wisperer

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 12:16:34 PM »

Citizens arrest for regulation violation....I doubt it....but I wish you could. 

I'd have the tazer hanging right next to my bear spray :D

doja

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 12:19:14 PM »

Is it possible to do a Citizens arrest in the event you see regulations being violated?

Ya, not unless you want to get sued.

If you catch a guy breaking into you stuff and you hold him that is ok from what little I know, but if you hurt him you could be in allot  of trouble.

I don't think it is worth it unless it's a real big thing.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 12:24:12 PM by doja »