Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RCMP Checking fisherman?  (Read 19799 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: RCMP Checking fisherman?
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2009, 12:19:26 PM »

OK boys and girls.... Let's  minimize the name calling to about ZERO.  It's always unfortunate when a thread has to get locked.

Gaffer

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2009, 12:24:33 PM »

LAKES
Point taken DragonSpeed--- so that would include trebel hooks on lures out of the shrink bag too , would it ?-- Cheers

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2009, 12:27:07 PM »

In a democracy isn't it the people's responsability to stand up and force change?

No matter the political system it will always be up to the people to force change. Think Tiananmen Square.

Tieing a line with a weight, hook and a piece of wool then snagging salmon that have traveled thousands of miles and have passed hundreds of obstacles to get to its spawning stream isn't breaking the law, so that makes it right? I think not!

Relevance?

I'm sick of watching fishing store clerks sell barbed pink lures to obvious poachers/one-dayrs with no mention of pinching the barb's down.

Have you ever worked in a tackle store? I have. And I can honestly tell you that there is no garenteeed way of spotting a poacher when they are in a store. If you have some special way of telling then maybe you should work for DFO.

Maybe you'd like to state your field of work so we can criticize what you do.

Its more than obvious that this person will be using this lure for pink salmon

Ever fished for dolly varden? I've used pink lures for them, and you can use barbs when you're fishing in most lakes.

is it to hard for the clerk to ask "would you like me to put your barbs down?".

So now the store will assume legal responsibility for pinching the barbs of its customers (if the barb isn't fully pinched down to the Fisheries Officer's liking), thereby passing the accountability from the individual fishing to the retailer. BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS.

Its the local law and enforcing it should be up to everyone

No. Enforcing it is up to the fisheries officers or the RCMP. It's the local law and obeying it should be up to everyone.

especially people involved with the industry.

Since when did owning a tackle store make you a fisheries officer. A store cannot enforce the law, they can only guide people to obey it. Even that is optional.

I would have to agree it does trickle down to the responsibility of the individual but shouldn't the industry put sensible measures in place to protect fish?

Trickle down? You have to be kidding me!!! So when you speed on the highway and a cop pulls you over do you say "It's Ford's fault I was speeding. The governor only kicks in at 140km/hr."

The people running our fish right now are not doing a good job, thinks need to change.

Then do something about it. Posting BS on here doesn't do anything.

give your head a shake for rolling over and being such a sheep. Your a troll

Yup. You know me well enough to say that I don't think for myself and that I just follow along like a sheep.

When you come up with something intellegent to post please do, but until then sit down and shut-up.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 12:34:53 PM by DionJL »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2009, 12:34:41 PM »

OK boys and girls.... Let's  minimize the name calling to about ZERO.  It's always unfortunate when a thread has to get locked.

noxcape

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2009, 04:38:35 PM »

i guess i need to pinch the barbs on all my bass fishing gear

Stu

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2009, 08:48:35 PM »

The Army and Navy in New West has  barbless hocks. If you buy those they will bring in more selection, if nobody buys them they will stop stocking them.
Same to your local fishing store, just ask them and they will stock them. Just my $0.02
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

rides bike to work

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2009, 09:21:27 PM »

We were fly fishing the top of peg and there were four boats of fn fisher men down river from us taking turns drifting the run. then the new rcmp river boat pulled up beside there boats.we thought,this might get a little interesting, and it did.The RCMP got off the boat and brought the FN fishermen coffe and a flat of donuts.Than 2 of the rcmp walked up to us and asked how we were doing, we said good,than he asked us if we  were all getting all with the fn fishermen, of course we said we were all getting along fine, seeing as they brought the other guys donuts and us nothing, than they went back down and finished off a few donuts sitting on a long than burned off in there brand new river jet boat.

WHAT A LIFE!

Stu

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2009, 09:30:27 PM »

We were fly fishing the top of peg and there were four boats of fn fisher men down river from us taking turns drifting the run. then the new rcmp river boat pulled up beside there boats.we thought,this might get a little interesting, and it did.The RCMP got off the boat and brought the FN fishermen coffe and a flat of donuts.Than 2 of the rcmp walked up to us and asked how we were doing, we said good,than he asked us if we  were all getting all with the fn fishermen, of course we said we were all getting along fine, seeing as they brought the other guys donuts and us nothing, than they went back down and finished off a few donuts sitting on a long than burned off in there brand new river jet boat.

WHAT A LIFE!

Your tax money at work.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2009, 09:51:27 PM »

Coffee and donuts work better than tazers. :D

kaolinite

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2009, 12:58:40 AM »

No matter the political system it will always be up to the people to force change. Think Tiananmen Square.

Relevance?

Have you ever worked in a tackle store? I have. And I can honestly tell you that there is no garenteeed way of spotting a poacher when they are in a store. If you have some special way of telling then maybe you should work for DFO.

Maybe you'd like to state your field of work so we can criticize what you do.

Ever fished for dolly varden? I've used pink lures for them, and you can use barbs when you're fishing in most lakes.

So now the store will assume legal responsibility for pinching the barbs of its customers (if the barb isn't fully pinched down to the Fisheries Officer's liking), thereby passing the accountability from the individual fishing to the retailer. BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS.

No. Enforcing it is up to the fisheries officers or the RCMP. It's the local law and obeying it should be up to everyone.

Since when did owning a tackle store make you a fisheries officer. A store cannot enforce the law, they can only guide people to obey it. Even that is optional.

Trickle down? You have to be kidding me!!! So when you speed on the highway and a cop pulls you over do you say "It's Ford's fault I was speeding. The governor only kicks in at 140km/hr."

Then do something about it. Posting BS on here doesn't do anything.

Yup. You know me well enough to say that I don't think for myself and that I just follow along like a sheep.

When you come up with something intellegent to post please do, but until then sit down and shut-up.

Wow i cant belive you took the time to picked that apart peice by peice, all for my own enjoyment!. 
I guess im completly wrong, your right.... "never argue with a idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience"
Take a step back. I posted a idea and you blasted me for it , going as far as calling me, a "commie"... your a troll!.... your the one the mods should put a muzzle on .
Lets go back to kindergarden and use the rule "if you got nothing nice to say dont say anything at all"  your the rotton brat in class they use words like "sit down and shut up" on you so play your role.......did you know its spelled intelligent not intellegent haha way to prove your point

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2009, 08:23:30 AM »

--show your colours: people breaking the law do not want to be around people who obey the law
--wear your wilderness watch patch or fishing club or make up your own, I'm an ethical fisher patch.

--
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:29:19 AM by skaha »

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2009, 09:58:51 AM »

Wow i cant belive you took the time to picked that apart peice by peice, all for my own enjoyment!. 
I guess im completly wrong, your right.... "never argue with a idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience"
Take a step back. I posted a idea and you blasted me for it , going as far as calling me, a "commie"... your a troll!.... your the one the mods should put a muzzle on .
Lets go back to kindergarden and use the rule "if you got nothing nice to say dont say anything at all"  your the rotton brat in class they use words like "sit down and shut up" on you so play your role.......did you know its spelled intelligent not intellegent haha way to prove your point

Taking a step back, I see that you posted an idea. I, as well as others, felt this idea was completely out of line, and so we posted how we felt about it. The "commie" remark was a little out of line I'll admit, and if you'd like, I will edit it from my post. However it is you that has stooped to name calling (idiot, troll, etc.), only because you can't intelligently defend you're position. So instead of defending your point or admitting you're wrong, you are now attacking me personally.

As for the spelling mistake, I give you kudos in finding the most ironic one in the thread. However I could have pulled out a few from your previous posts but I don't feel the odd slip of the finger when typing really makes a difference in the message of the post.

kaolinite

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2009, 11:54:05 PM »

Taking a step back, I see that you posted an idea. I, as well as others, felt this idea was completely out of line, and so we posted how we felt about it. The "commie" remark was a little out of line I'll admit, and if you'd like, I will edit it from my post. However it is you that has stooped to name calling (idiot, troll, etc.), only because you can't intelligently defend you're position. So instead of defending your point or admitting you're wrong, you are now attacking me personally.

As for the spelling mistake, I give you kudos in finding the most ironic one in the thread. However I could have pulled out a few from your previous posts but I don't feel the odd slip of the finger when typing really makes a difference in the message of the post.

troll is not name calling, its computer talk for someone who goes out of their way to bashes people when its completly not necessary. I can intelligently defend my position, i wouldnt be far off to say in 50 years all hooks in B.C will be barbless soo considering that, wouldnt it be logical for stores in BC to stop selling barb'd gear? The barb is a industry invention and it is a industry decisson, the same industry that i may add who is running are (the people's) salmon stocks into the ground.

SNapz

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2009, 01:02:35 AM »

How is the industry that sells barbed hooks running the salmon stocks into the ground? It's the fishermans job and responsibility to pinch the barbs on the hooks. That's why we have written regulations that people are supposed to read.  There's only so much babysitting that can be done and unfortuantely that's not what people in a fishing store are getting paid to do.

Another interesting part on the barbless hooks. I noticed that some places now sell barbless treble hooks so I bought some to use with anchovy hookups. That was a huge mistake.... Fish after fish would not stay on the hook by the time you could get the line of the downrigger. I ended up giving up on the premade barbless hooks and went back to the hooks where I pinched down the barb. After this the fish were staying on the line. And yes the barbs were fully pinched down. Last time I will be using premade barbless hooks when used with downriggers.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2009, 10:49:35 AM »

I don't understand how a manufacturer has anything to do with how DFO runs the fishery. But you seem to have some psychic powers because you can pick out a poacher before they poach, and can see 50 years into the future. So I wont question your knowledge.

Hooks have barbs because it is part of the manufacturing process. When the hook is bent, the barb acts as a holding point. That is why factory made barbless hooks have a different shape than regular hooks.