Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River, September 5th 2009  (Read 4540 times)

jon5hill

Re: Capilano River, September 5th 2009
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 09:06:25 PM »

quotas?  ??? I don't mean to be pessimistic, but I highly doubt any of them carry around a paper and pencil and mark down how many they have and all that. It appears to me to be lawless abuse of the fishery with no regard for any regulations or "quotas".

silverslab

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 11:49:35 AM »

All I can say is its nice to see they have upgraded their gear from shopping carts (which they used to use to build a dam across the river) to hooks ???

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 10:20:40 AM »

Capilano fall springs are due any time now.Expect to see the weirs go up in the next week or two.
It ain't the roe bro'

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 11:01:23 AM »

Not always the case.  Numerous times this year I have been offered fish they have caught.

SUPPOSED to be food at least :(

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 11:04:54 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that hatchery there to basically ensure that there are fish for the natives in that river, since we happily dammed the thing into oblivion, thereby pretty much destroying any natural fish population in the river?

Hooks_of_Fury

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 09:30:01 PM »

thats true man. i dont think the hatchery would be government sponsered if the natives didn't use it

the weirs are up. i was watching them dip net and snag below the bridge pretty fun to watch. But "oh my god there snagging fish!" jeez. they could probably just send a drift net through and clean the run out at least there doing it a traditional way with the weir and dip nets rather than jet boats and drift nets. and who cares anyway there not hurting any wild stocks if it weren't for the native fishery the river would probably be more like the seymour with a small volunteer hatchery and no good returns at least we get to fish the left overs.

hotrod

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 06:27:43 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that hatchery there to basically ensure that there are fish for the natives in that river, since we happily dammed the thing into oblivion, thereby pretty much destroying any natural fish population in the river?

This is absolutely true! However the hatchery needs to be held accountable and bump up the numbers for returns. It's no where near what it should be!

Hotrod

arrwp

mykisscrazy

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 10:37:20 PM »

The fishery that occurs on the lower part of the river is unfortunately the best reason to close the hatchery, or better yet hand it over to the Squamish First Nations and they could take care of all operations - sell surplus fish to operate the Hatchery - "Sea Ranching" .

The fish that is in his hand is a trout of some sort = Rainbow or Cutthroat, and I am leaning towards Cutthroat

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »

they need to produce more fish, and a strain that isn't so lock jawed, some days those fish are a joke. High water, fresh fish, perfect bait, or presentation and u get the skunk. Lets hope they open up the dam so the nookies can show themselves in the river. The canyon has some DEEP holes but the reason for lack of fish is that they can get through that first km of no water from the marine drive bridge to the highway bridge.
Fish killer 101