Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River, September 5th 2009  (Read 4542 times)

jon5hill

Capilano River, September 5th 2009
« on: September 06, 2009, 10:51:09 PM »

Saturday morning I spent fishing the Capilano river with my good buddy Joe. We fished at the usual pools, looking for some fresh fish who might be willing to hit a blade or a fly. Not much luck so we explored the canyon and fished little holes here and there. We didn't catch anything but a few smolts and then split for lunch.

After lunch we headed to the mouth of the Capilano for the days lowest tide. This was my first time being there and it was a very thought provoking experience. Joe and I were standing on the west side of the river, tossing Indiana blades, croc spoons, buzz bombs, the usual plethora of hardware at them to no avail. I observed some other people on the east side of the mouth fishing the channel. I kept looking over as this one particular man was behaving so erratically and weird that it was absolutely captivating. He was casting out with what looked to be a level wind reel and about a 10' rod. All I saw at first were large splashes where he was casting and the man stomping around with a vengeance to catch a fish. He would mightily hurl his "lure" into the water at any leaping coho and instantly retrieve it with swift and furious yanking motions followed by short spasms of furious reeling. Then I got a glimpse of his "lure". This fellow was using only a treble hook the size of a small ship anchor, with the intent of foul-hooking any fish that cared to meander his direction. He was demonstrating the technique to a small boy who seemed to be his son. A slightly older boy who also appeared to be the mans son was well on his way, hurling a hook into the channel and yanking with utmost intensity. This electrifying trio of fish-hunters were native, as they are the only people permitted to be fishing on that side of the river.

So there I am, standing on the bank along side fellow fisherman who are each trying to perfect their craft in their own way to provoke a fish to strike. And on the other side of the river, several groups of natives are ruthlessly yanking their rods.

I thought how symbolic that river is.. it was a very gloomy yet poetic moment for me.

Nitroholic

Re: Capilano River, September 5th 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:55:11 PM »

yep nothing new there, sure is a sad sight   :-[

mr.p

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 11:50:51 PM »

same ol' same ol'.  Heres a closer look at the "lure" of choice on the east side of the river.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 12:54:41 AM »

Fishing for sport vs. fishing for food. 

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 01:13:04 AM »

Agreed....simple as that.

jon5hill

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 01:42:47 AM »

I would agree with that except they hooked a 2 lb coho and tossed it back as it was too small.. Food is food.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 05:22:23 AM »

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

mr.p

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 10:26:24 AM »

Not always the case.  Numerous times this year I have been offered fish they have caught.

fishfinder

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 10:35:13 AM »

same ol' same ol'.  Heres a closer look at the "lure" of choice on the east side of the river.

I've seen "sports fishermen" use similar gear at Cable Pool at dusk.

mr.p

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 11:40:39 AM »

I've seen "sports fishermen" use similar gear at Cable Pool at dusk.

Phone it in.  Or if you feel comfortable, confront them yourself.
The cap is one river where I feel 100% safe approaching anyone who is fishing unethically or breaking the regs.
The west van/van crowd seems to be alot less confrontational and aggressive.  Most of the time they claim to be unaware they were doing anything wrong and quickly change their methods.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 05:02:36 PM »

Phone it in.  Or if you feel comfortable, confront them yourself.
The cap is one river where I feel 100% safe approaching anyone who is fishing unethically or breaking the regs.
The west van/van crowd seems to be alot less confrontational and aggressive.  Most of the time they claim to be unaware they were doing anything wrong and quickly change their methods.

besides the stabbings, ya :-\

calfisher

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 06:52:13 PM »

West coast fly

tying instructions
9/0 Trebble hook
4-5 inches pencil lead

Wrap pencil lead around hook shank

Complete

Cal

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 08:38:19 AM »

Sport fishermen should want the natives to be as efficient as possible at catching fish so they can fill their stocks.
The treble hook solution is effective but unfortunately it is not selective.
From that perspective the shopping cart weirs are more efficient and allow them to select only fish they want to keep, but of course sporties would be unhappy if no fish are allowed through.

Where we need enforcement is in natives selling fish.
I propose treating people caught illegally buying native fish be treated equivalent to a 'john'.
Their pictures should be put in the paper and they should be sent to salmon 'john' school where they can learn about salmon conservation and the impact of their actions.
The only way to stop the natives selling fish is to educate the public and take away the demand. We can only take away the supply when the last salmon has been killed.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 10:22:15 AM »

i was talking to a guy yesterday at the shop, he said that a bunch of fish pushed into the river up to the weirs yesterday but couldn't make it over which made it super easy for them to net them instead of snag em. so lets hope they get their quota fast and then stop the slay fest
Fish killer 101

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 05:24:46 PM »

i was talking to a guy yesterday at the shop, he said that a bunch of fish pushed into the river up to the weirs yesterday but couldn't make it over which made it super easy for them to net them instead of snag em. so lets hope they get their quota fast and then stop the slay fest

What makes you think they're keeping track this time?