Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, September 7th 2009  (Read 3706 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Tidal Fraser River, September 7th 2009
« on: September 07, 2009, 11:08:31 AM »

It was yet another fantastic morning of fishing with friends at South Arm in Richmond. We arrived slightly earlier this morning, at 6:30am, since there were already many people fishing yesterday when we arrived. Fishersak and Steelhead King were already fishing, but these early birds had not connected with any fish. Unlike yesterday, the river was flat calm so it was easy to spot all the risers and there wasn't a shortage of them.

My dad hooked his first fish after only a few casts, but to his disappointment the fish came off with ease near shore as he was rushing it a bit too much.

Fishersak and Steelhead King were both into fish soon after. I decided to move a bit further away to where Lucky and Mary were fishing because it was getting a bit too congested with that many fish hooked in a small area. Soon after we had moved, Mary was into a fish, and another, and another. Lucky was busy netting, bleeding and packing fish away and missed all the action, just like what I was experiencing the other day. ;D In total she had hooked about 5 and landed 3.

Mary's multiple fish had my dad panicking because he was not sure why he could not entice a fish. "Is it the retrieving speed? The depth? Lure colour?" The questions just kept coming and the only answer that I could provide was, "Sometimes it is simply luck." :P

I managed to hooked and landed two males, while my dad managed a rather large silver female before the morning rush tapered off. The action died down completely at 9:00am when the tide turned, which was completely opposite to what happened yesterday. This simply shows how different and unpredictable each day's fishing can be and there is no such thing as the best spot.

Fishersak managed to only land two fish despite of his eight hook-ups.

Many were not as lucky as us today. Fish Assassin was blanked today so he walked over to Fishersak and told him that the fishing will be hot tomorrow morning, because Fishersak has to go back to school and teach tomorrow. ;D

Perhaps we will give it another go this evening. :)

lucky

• Old Timer
Re: Tidal Fraser River, September 7th 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 12:54:52 PM »

It certainly was an enjoyable morning and I'm glad that Mary was into a few fish, the next time I ask her to wake up at 5:30 to go fishing it wont be so hard to get her out of bed.

After the excitement on the South arm I still hadn't got my fix so we headed for New West hoping to head off the schools that passed us in Richmond. Well it turned out to be a good idea, first cast in the new spot and I had a fish on and managed to hook up with a dozen or so others before ending with my limit. Mary spent most of the time on net making up for my time I had spent on net earlier in the morning.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 01:41:52 PM »

Phenomonal day for me too.  I landed fourteen and lost count of the number I lost :o [All catch and release today, as I already have enough in the freezer]

Interestingly for me, the best fishing was right when the tide started to rush out.  I thought conventional wisdom was best fishing about two hours before peak.

Anybody know how long this pink run lasts? (...I would really like to get my nephew out one evening this week or this coming weekend just so he can experience this).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 01:46:55 PM by fishseeker »

mr.p

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 02:02:37 PM »

Anybody know how long this pink run lasts? (...I would really like to get my nephew out one evening this week or this coming weekend just so he can experience this).

Usually around 3-4 weeks.  But judging by the fact this years run was a tad late and the HUGE numbers of fish moving through these past few days, I've got a feeling it will be a little shorter this year.  Its been school after school followed by mega schools for the past 5 days.   
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 02:30:50 PM »

Usually around 3-4 weeks.  But judging by the fact this years run was a tad late and the HUGE numbers of fish moving through these past few days, I've got a feeling it will be a little shorter this year.  Its been school after school followed by mega schools for the past 5 days.  
Thanks mr.p.   So I guess this coming weekend should still be a reasonable bet.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »

This year's pink run is pretty much on time. We've always caught them in good numbers starting in the first week of September. This year it started on September 1st/2nd. The run will be 3 to 4 weeks, but usually begins to taper off around the 15th of September in the Tidal Fraser. I've caught them down here all the way into the first week of October. :)

bmynbr

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 03:54:02 PM »

Had another good day out near abbotsford today.  Got into a bunch, landed 5 and kept 2, my buddy landed 8 and kept 3, and my other buddy with his 5 foot ultralight landed 5.  It was another fun day of catching pinks.

gman

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 07:48:39 PM »

This morning was my first time this year for Fraser pinks and I managed to land 3 within the first hour or so.  ;D I was back home before my wife and kids were out of bed. It's nice to go fishing a few hundered meters from home!

I was slightly shocked at the number of people out fishing for pinks at dawn on a holiday Monday though. This fishery has certainly got a lot more popular. Nice crowd though, everyone friendly and having fun... :)

Nitroholic

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 07:53:08 PM »

caught a smaller doe just after low tide this afternoon. Was crazy seeing so many fish crusing up the river just feet from shore. Pretty tight lipped though, going to try early morning tomorrow, need a few for the smoker  :)

Tee

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 08:23:04 PM »

I also went out with my fly rod for a few hours in early morning for pinks. Not long after in the water did I have a hard take on the fly, but it turned out to be my first ever pike minnow. It was quite large, around 14 inch. Then, I managed to land a few pinks that I decided to take one home for dinner. It is in the oven right now.

Tight lines
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:36:28 PM by Tee »
I only fish on days that end with "y".

coho killer

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 09:54:46 PM »

Is it only me that doesnt keep humpies? And why do they have humps? And can you eat them?

Obi Wan

• Fins & Skins... Ya Baby!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 10:25:52 PM »

This is just a General Report for the past week.

It's been great. I've caught something everyday. (not every outing). The Pinks are present most times except heavy out going tide. Even then, they can be caught if you know where to look.

They are biting on everything pink & orange, 1/4 to 1/2oz. spoons. Fast or slow retrieve. I've seen spinners, buzz b, flies catch them too. My boy have finally upgraded his spin cast to a spinning rod. Caught a couple of Pinks w/o my help.

People are well mannered, helpful, complient to regulations. I've seen more catch & release this year & no Snaggers. Generally great experience for the entire week.

Even get to see the Great Rod out fished by Nina. I guess that's when Rod came up with "Sometimes it is simply luck."  ;D

See you all on the River.

BTW,
The only thing that'll make this year better is If people pick up this garbage. Esp Fishing lines. This kills wildlife needlessly. Please pickup your mess PLUS what ever you see around you, it helps.

Is it only me that doesnt keep humpies? And why do they have humps? And can you eat them?

It's the species. The Pinks are called Humpies for this reason. It's fine to eat them. The flesh is fine esp when it's caught in the lower Fraser.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:29:14 PM by Obi Wan »
May the fish be with you!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 07:22:10 AM »

It's fine to eat them. The flesh is fine esp when it's caught in the lower Fraser.

Good fishing but with regards to taste, I've not many folks who enjoy them.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 08:09:26 AM »

I was going to say that the fish in this thread look good for table fair but some of the slugs I have seen people take from the fraser would not be making it to my table..... Key is to look at how far down the silver scales go to the belly. If they have receded quite a bit I throw em back IMHO, nitroholics fish has nice silver quite low down. Also wetting your hands and giving the shoulders of the fish a quick feel for firmness never hurts.
always a student

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 08:35:21 AM »

I noticed 2 interesting things this year,
- Fraser water is so warm, warmer than air.
- Every pink I caught had sea lice on them.