Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 10th 2009: Vedder Canal  (Read 2556 times)

deepcovehooker

Chilliwack River, September 10th 2009: Vedder Canal
« on: September 10, 2009, 07:54:41 PM »

Got going late as I had a number of things to take care of this morning.  One was paying final payment of the mortgage.  Now I have a lot of extra cash for fishing supplies, unfortunately I am married so may not work out as well as I hope.

Anyway arrived at the K/W bridge about 10:00 am.  Fished till about 12:30.  There was about 10 to 12 fishers out some fly some gear.  I think just about everyone hooked into a fish but not all landed.  There were fish all over the river but hard to get to bite.  I threw everything I had at them, two different rows, beads, wool, pink spinners and pink blades but only one on.

But it was a great day and the weather was wonderful, you can't beat fishing on a day like this.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, September 10th 2009: Vedder Canal
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 10:05:30 PM »

I hope not too many Cultus Sockeyes got man handled or mistaken for pinks. In a frenzy everything gets bonked before they realize that the fish is not what it was thought to have been.
It ain't the roe bro'

gheart008

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 08:53:54 AM »

I hope not too many Cultus Sockeyes got man handled or mistaken for pinks. In a frenzy everything gets bonked before they realize that the fish is not what it was thought to have been.

Nonsense!  Who does that?!? ::)

The other night, these two guys who landed a nice fish had the decency to come over and ask me if I knew how to identify it since they didn't want to kill something they weren't supposed to.  Turned out to be a nice Jack Spring.  Although i didn't like the fact that they brought it over to me while in the net hanging, completely out of the water for a minute or so, had it been a sockeye or coho.

deepcovehooker

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »

The few I saw landed had large hums on their backs so one must assume they were pink males. 

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 05:33:38 PM »

The sockeye are also clipped so the only mistake that can be made is hatchery coho if you know what your doing. Never actually caught a cultus lake sockeye or seen one in my years fishing there so they are rare
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 07:46:38 PM »

Got going late as I had a number of things to take care of this morning.  One was paying final payment of the mortgage.  Now I have a lot of extra cash for fishing supplies, unfortunately I am married so may not work out as well as I hope.

Anyway arrived at the K/W bridge about 10:00 am.  Fished till about 12:30.  There was about 10 to 12 fishers out some fly some gear.  I think just about everyone hooked into a fish but not all landed.  There were fish all over the river but hard to get to bite.  I threw everything I had at them, two different rows, beads, wool, pink spinners and pink blades but only one on.

But it was a great day and the weather was wonderful, you can't beat fishing on a day like this.

you have about an hour or so morning and evening for the bite, then the "wool fishermen" are the only ones hooking (and rarely landing) the fish.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 11:25:48 PM »

u gotta move and find fresh untouched fish, once those first 3 or 4 get wacked they smarten up really fast and it dies off. finding water that hasn't been covered is the key to lots of fish right now, this requires people to actually WALK!  :o
Fish killer 101

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:40:46 AM »

How many pinks in the vedder are you allowed to retain?Just curious because some dude told me 4 but I thought was 2 the DFO notices give me a freaken headache:)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 08:54:37 AM »

How many pinks in the vedder are you allowed to retain?Just curious because some dude told me 4 but I thought was 2 the DFO notices give me a freaken headache:)

just check this link before you head out to keep up to date.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.htm
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 09:05:20 AM »

My nephews father inlaw set up a salmon/sturg for yesterday and guide said they were only allowed to keep two?We were fishing the vedder mouth so it should have been 4?I was really not into pink fishing anymore but a few people came quit a ways for this trip and wanted to take a few fish home with them.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 10:17:13 AM »

its 4, the guide was wrong.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.