Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Langford Lake (Vancouver Island), September 10th 2009  (Read 1065 times)

mr.p

Langford Lake (Vancouver Island), September 10th 2009
« on: September 11, 2009, 03:06:28 PM »

Was over in Victoria for the past few days.  Didn't have much time to fish but I did manage to get out for a few hours.
Did some quick research online and read a few reports of big bass and trout coming out of Langford Lake. 5lbs Smallmouth and 8lbs Rainbow recently caught.
I was more interested in the bass.  I had only caught bass on one previous occaission, and that was while targetting trout.
Stopped by a couple tackle shops and got myself geared up with a bunch of stuff I've never heard of or seen before.
YUM Dingers(big worm), YUM Tubes, spinnerbaits and a couple ridiculously priced lures. ($12 each wtf?!!!)

I arrived at the lake and started my exploring.  There is a nice trail which leads around most of the lake.  There 2 docks/boardwalks and a designated fishing dock with rod holders built in.  I also found several little side trails that lead down to the lake and were perfect for a lone fisherman.  I decided to start with one of the lures.  First things first, cut and replace the treble hooks.  In the process of cutting off one of the treble hooks, I broke the lure.  -$12.  So on goes a jig head with a tube.  Fish that for awhile without success.  Then I rig up a YUM Dinger.  1st cast, I can feel it being tapped right as I start retreiving.  After a few more light taps comes a big tug and FISH ON! It turned out to be a smallmouth of about maybe 1 lbs.  I'm amazed how good a fight these little guys put on.  After that I managed to land 5 more and missed probably 15-20 serious bites.  Its amazing how hard you have to set the hook to get through the plastic bait and penetrate the fish's mouth. 

it was a great afternoon.  Its always enjoyable fishing a new body of water and for a new species of fish.
Met several locals.  Everyone was bottom fishing powerbait for trout.  There were also several car-toppers out on the lake that looked to be trolling.
I went back again this morning for a half hour or so but had no luck today.  Lots of surface action though.  I'm not a flyguy myself, but I think this would be a terrific lake to flyfish.  Some of the fish that I saw break water were the size of pinks!

This is what I was trying to catch:

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Langford Lake (Vancouver Island), September 10th 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 03:10:32 PM »

When I was living over in Cowichan I fished that lake several times. Nice bass and trout. Had a few trout in the 4lb range. Also some bass in the 3-4lb range as well. If your still there and have time go check out Shawnigan. My biggest smallie out of there is 7lbs!!!!

I agree they are amazing fighters. I have just as much luck on the fly as I do on gear. Much more fun on the fly though ;)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

koko

Re: Langford Lake (Vancouver Island), September 10th 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 12:16:48 PM »

St. Mary lake has lot of small mouth and trout. wind drift with dragon fly on a full sinking line if you don't want to cast.