Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, September 12th 2009  (Read 1629 times)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
Tidal Fraser River, September 12th 2009
« on: September 12, 2009, 02:17:11 PM »

Hello!

As my g/f had a hair appointment this morning, I thought it was the ideal time to scamper off to the Fraser and see if I could find a Pink Salmon or two.  I packed up all my gear and a cooler and headed down to the river.  Checked out a few spots, but there were no fish moving.  Eventually I decided I should just pick a spot and start casting, so I got my gear ready and was about to cast when I saw a boat drive past.  Hmmm, that looks like a fisheries boat, I thought to myself, which was immediately followed by, CRAP!  I forgot my license!

So back into the car I got, and drove all the way back out to Vancouver.  By the time I got back to the river, 45 minutes or so had passed, so I set right to fishing just after 9am.  The odd fish was rolling, but there didn't seem to be any bent rods.  20 minutes in, I felt a bump and then weight - so I set the hook!  Fish on!

The couple beside me let out an audible groan... I guess they'd been fishing a while without anything and were a little choked.  I got it near shore a couple of times but after a huge jump the lure came flying back at me and the buck swam away free.  Despite the odd fish still rolling and a couple of nudges to my lure, nothing else stuck for the next couple of hours, so I just put on more sunscreen and enjoyed the morning.

A little after 11am a nice fellow from Winnipeg named Steve started chatting with me and I felt another bump to my line, so I kept reeling.  Another bite followed moments later, and then weight, so I set the hook!  Fish on again!  This one was a female and didn't fight quite as tough as the first fish.  After 2 minutes or so I wondered if maybe it was foul hooked as I couldn't seem to turn it's head, and sure enough a moment later in the net I saw it was hooked just under the jaw.  Must've attacked the lure and spat it out as I set the hook.  Oh well, too bad she was foul hooked, so I carefully let her go.

Around noon my brother called me and wanted to see how it was going, so I told him to drop by and say hi.  He was there 15 minutes later and we chatted for awhile.  I let him try a few casts to see if he wanted to buy a rod like mine, and when the rod was back in my hands at about 12:30 I put out a long cast and was turned talking to my brother while I retrieved it when BANG!  fish on again!  This one went crazy, running all over the place.  I had to chase it downstream at one point as it charged across the surface like a torpedo.

After about 5 minutes I had it in the net - fair hooked in the jaw this time - and so I bonked the chrome bright buck to have for dinner tonight:

After that I figured it was time to call it a day, as I only wanted one fish for dinner anyhow.  It was a beautiful day to be out, and though my three fish were the only ones I saw on, there was definitely the odd fish around.  I'm sure other people must've had a bit of luck, but I didn't see it.

Cheers,
Tex

Fisherama

Re: Tidal Fraser River, September 12th 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 04:08:01 PM »

Good to hear you had a successful day!! Headed out to the Vedder myself this morning and got into a few jacks in a spot I met you at a few years ago  ;) :)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 06:14:56 PM »

Good to hear you had a successful day!! Headed out to the Vedder myself this morning and got into a few jacks in a spot I met you at a few years ago  ;) :)

Awesome!  If you're heading back again, let me know - it'd be cool to share the water with you again.  We can even carpool if that works.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 08:01:38 PM »

I had a great day today fishing for pinks with my flyrod. Arrived at the mid arm at two pm and I had fish right away. Got about 15 on but most got away. Kept three to take home. Great weather.
Fish on!

Aurora

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 08:39:36 PM »

Decided to spend the whole day fishing today.  Arrived at south arm around 9 am and started fishing.  Saw few fish and not too much action.  I got a nibble every once in a while but could not connect.  Around 10am "fish on".  This guy was strong and kept peeling out line.  It swam downstream about 30 feet close to shore so I had a quick look at it.  I think it was a spring about 10-12 lbs.  After it felt the rocks on shore it took off.  When I saw that most of my line had been pulled by the fish I decided to increase the drag in the hopes of holding the fish.  That is when my 8lb line let go. :'(

After that I joined up with some friends who were fishing near by.  I had a brief hook up but after a few head shakes hook was loose.  Little discouraged so we went for lunch at O-hare's.

After lunch my buddy had to go home so I continued to fish.  During the peak of the tide I felt a tug on the line during a retrieve so I set the hook.  Another strong fish, but this time a I was able to bring it to shore.  Another spring.  This one was smaller but still very nice and I was able to land it.  Wierd.  Never expected to hook into two springs on the same day.

Kept fishing until dusk.  Not many fish going through but was able to land one pink doe.  Not many fish but a beautiful day fishing.

funpig

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 09:01:59 PM »

Fished the south arm from about 7AM to 11 AM.  Lot of people out.  I had one bite but lost it.  The guys around me had about 7 other bites, but everybody was skunked.  The pink run has really slowed down over the the last 3 days.  At one point, a twenty-five pound spring swam slowly in front of us about a foot from the river edge.  It was very dark and blotchy which was pretty surprising.  Is there a tributary close to the mouth of the Fraser where they spawn?

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 09:18:51 PM »

fished the incoming tide this afternoon and saw the most fish jumping and rolling that I've seen so far this year...they were everywhere, for like 3 hours straight!  It was awesome, but we couldn't entice any to bite our spinners, jigs, spoons, or hoochies...it was kind of frustrating, but at the same time it was great to see so many fish...at one point we saw 2 big coho jump at the same time - they were extremely silver and had to be easily over 10 lbs... I definitely don't think the bulk of the run is over quite yet, it might be peaking right now...back to the drawing board for tomorrow - what kind of lure do they (the pinks) want me to make? ???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 10:30:38 PM »

Yesterday we had some success around the late morning incoming tide so today I took my dad out once again. As this incoming tide change gets bigger this week, fishing should improve, at least that's the/my theory. :P

I was delighted to find that the spot where we wanted to fish was void of people. I was even more delighted to see some fish surfacing as soon as we had the rods ready. One roll was followed by two more, two than turned into several. There was obviously a school of fish passing by, so I was expecting a hook-up in no time.

Before this small school of fish went by, my dad had a bite as expected. He gently raised the rod and began reeling, but the fish obviously did not stay on long due to the poor hook set.

The second fish that my dad connected with flew out of the water immediately. The silvery body leaped several times before the spoon bounced away into the water. It was possibly a coho salmon, which become more common in mid to late September. Coho salmon cannot be kept right now, so it is always wise to take a second look on the landed fish and identify it properly before dispatching it.

After this brief excitement, the fishing died down and no more rollers could be seen. Fishersak then joined us after his haircut. Dad hooked his third fish at 1:00pm, not long before the tide peaked. This fish was well hooked, well played and guided into the net very swiftly. It was a bulky female pink salmon, the fourth fish that he has landed this season. Dad celebrated because he has broken his own record. Last season he was only able to land three fish.

Fishersak was soon into a fish as well. It bit the lure just several feet from the rod tip, like all the other fish today. It was also a nice female, which did not take long to land since it was already near shore when hooked.

After a couple more misses and another brief hookup, my dad set the hook and the absence of movement at the other end indicated a snag on the bottom. He swung the rod up and down, attempting to loosen the hook from the snag. Suddenly the line was peeling off the reel furiously. Dad held onto the rod and screamed with both surprise and excitement before the line went slack again. Gone! Still trying to figure out what was happening. He retrieved the slack line, which tightened a few seconds later and sent the rod kicking again! The fish must had swum toward him after going for a mad dash. This feisty male took two more runs before Mark netted it cleanly. It had to be the most unlucky fish after being given two chances to escape.

The amount of fish seemed to increase a bit as the tide turned as more risers could be seen, but not many were able to find a fish on their line. Fishersak managed to land one more fish before we decided to end the outing at 2:30pm. As for me, I must have kissed a skunk in my sleep before the season started, because all I could produce was a light tug just before our departure. :P

Water clarity definitely has degraded since a week ago, but still reasonable especially if it is sunny. Location is not a factor as many have proved fish are hooked everywhere, just not as consistently as a week ago. Good luck for the rest of this weekend!