Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, September 13th 2009  (Read 2518 times)

Obi Wan

• Fins & Skins... Ya Baby!
Tidal Fraser River, September 13th 2009
« on: September 13, 2009, 11:24:23 AM »

Got into 4 pinks & 1 Jack Spring in a 2 hour effort today. There was a 3 fish in 3 cast period. Only kept 2 Pinks. The Jack Spring got free after it was 1/2 in the net. Too bad, I wanted to see if it was red or white before I let it go.
Scooter guy kept 1 also. I think he's still into fish everyday. I have to say this week's fish were bigger & scrappier then last week's. One of the Pink Buck took a good amount of line out 4 times before given up. The Jack Spring was a runner too.
All in all, it's great to see the Pink's not over yet. But certainly not as much as last week. I have to look harder & work harder for these fish.
May the fish be with you!

yamadirt 426

Re: Tidal Fraser River, September 13th 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 11:26:58 AM »

Up and on the water for 5:30 in what was my very first hunting trip ever. I was going for goose and really had no idea where I was going so I left wellington park in ladner and just started driving the boat around the marsh. Passing one of the many sloughs fish were feeding heavy on the surface. No not the pinks but the pikeminnows. Schools of them. I was hoping for bull trout. I had one heavy tug and a small run then nothing. Put the rod away and picked up the 12ga and sat in the marsh for an hour. No geese only ducks flying so I jump back in the boat to go look around. Went past Canoe Pass heading east and there was a healthy mix of salmon and pike minnow jumping everywhere, on glass water, in the sunrise. It was beautyfull out. A few triples flew over but in the end no geese and no pinks. I wasn't throwing pink gear anyhow but 1 fatty pikeminnow to the boat with almost a hit a cast for them. Had to come home to the famliy for 10 am so a short but sweet trip out !!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 02:27:36 PM »

How to you tell it it's a white or a red spring?

Davis

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 04:39:44 PM »

You can't, untill you clean it! Unless your fishing the Vedder gong show in the fall,if you catch a spring there ,it's a White.There funny looking fish those Vedder White springs.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 04:45:25 PM »

WRONG !! i have caught large reds and a good number of red spring jacks in the fall on the Vedder. Guy next to me today hit 3 jacks (2marbles and a white) but yes for the most part the large ones are whites.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 05:41:11 PM »

You can sometimes tell by very carefully checking the colour of the flesh under the skin beneath the jaw.
If the flesh looks pink it is likely a red or marble spring.
Keep your fingers away from the gills until you are sure you are bonking, though.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 06:52:54 PM »

Got into 4 pinks & 1 Jack Spring in a 2 hour effort today.

Sneaky! I see you guys intercepted them in the morning low tide. ;D Nina and I went out and attempted to capture some action on video so I can put together the next episode of the video diary series today. We arrived at 11:30am and found a school of risers moving through in front of us right away, just like yesterday when we arrived at 11:00am.

The surface action did not last long unfortunately and soon we found ourselves doing nothing but casting and retrieving. An hour went by rather quickly as we made some casts, took a lunch break, discussed what we needed to film other than fish on the line.

Fishersak suddenly popped up behind us at 1:00pm and said, "You should have your phone on!" I had left it off until noon when I realized that it was off. "There were millions of them jumping around me downstream from here at 10:30am and I've already hooked five!"

I guess the school that we saw at 11:30am was the tail end of that school. Fishersak then took off to the airport to pick up his boss. We remained at the same spot, hoping for more fish to come through. The incoming tide was strong and no risers could be spotted. Hope was fading and we were ready to pack it in at 2:45pm, but we kept having the feeling that fish would show up any minute when the tide turned. Just when I had all the rods packed, I spotted one rise several hundred meters downstream.

"There's one!", I said and unpacked the rod immediately.

We focused on our rods while waiting for more risers. Ten minutes went by and nothing had surfaced. Just when we were ready to give up again, Nina broke silence by raising the rod quickly. The bent rod was the first good sign of all day but it lasted only a few seconds. At least there was a hook-up. A few minutes later, out of no where, one fish rose in front of us, then another, and another. For some reason they were not rising all over the place, except only in front of us. Good signs indeed, now we actually might get a fish or two.

Not long after these surfacings, Nina retrieved her lure almost to shore and decided to scratch her chin while letting the lure sink a bit in front of her. When she grabbed onto the reel handle again and turned it slightly, the rod tip tapped and her reflex jerked the rod back and another fish was on the line. Again, this fish did not stay on the hook too long. Nina expressed her disgust. Two losses in a row! Well, at least she had two losses, I was still working on getting a bite.

She decided to switch the beaten up orange Gibbs Croc to our usual pink spoon that has been nicknamed "Rodney Special". The wind had died down so now she could cast the light spoon further. I tied the spoon onto the main line and found abrasion just above it, so I cut that section off and retied. It is always good to be safe, especially using 6lb test for pink salmon.

After making a few more casts, she was into yet another fish that bit the spoon just several feet in front of her. Instead of hugging to the deep like a motionless snag, this fish leaped straight out and splashed water all over the shoreline. It took a short run before heading toward her. The second powerful run outsmarted Nina's reel by instantly snapping the lure off! I guess checking for abrasion on the line is good, but sometimes the line would still snap if the fish wishes to put up a dirty fight.

Three losses but all very exciting and caught on tape! We ended the outing at 4:00pm after a lack of action in 20 minutes. The small school of aggressive fish must have moved on. I had to settle with a goose egg once again! It has become such a norm that I was no longer disappointed. :P

Once again, location is not the biggest factor on catching pink salmon in the Tidal Fraser River. Good timing, skill and a bit of luck are the combination of success.

Obi Wan

• Fins & Skins... Ya Baby!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 09:19:52 PM »

You don't have to clean the Springs to find out whether it's Red or White. Carefully lift the last gill plate to the fish. If it's white, the flesh is white. If it's Red, then it looks pinkish. Because the Red flesh under the thin skin.

I've been told this many times from others. Then confirmed it at Granville Island where they sell Red & White Springs. The flesh is apparent.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:59:52 PM by Obi Wan »
May the fish be with you!

Dr. Backlash

A Day of Firsts on the Tidal Fraser
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 10:46:50 PM »

what an awesome day today!  Yesterday we saw the most fish jumping of any day that we'd been fishing so far in 2009, but we couldn't get any to bite.  Today, we went back to the same spot during the incoming tide and there weren't nearly as many fish jumping or rolling, but we did get some to take our presentations. So last night I made a bunch more spinners in a smaller size because I was guessing that the spinners we were throwing at them on Saturday were a little on the big side.  My wife caught her first pink (actually the first salmon she ever caught), and it was one of the most silver pinks I'd ever seen.   It was a nice doe in the 6lb range.  We got a picture but I'm in the process of becoming a subscriber so I won't be able to post the pic until I'm a subscriber.  She took it on a homemade spinner (pink blade, gold body, black marabou on the hook) that I made last night.  About an hour later I was fishing about 100 yards from where all of our gear was on shore and I hooked into something a bit bigger.  I was using a small hot pink spin n' glow with white wings. At first I thought I was snagged (because that's what I always assume at first), but my line started peeling out instantly and I knew there was a fish on.  I called the wife to get the net and come down to possibly land another fish.  It wasn't fighting too hard as I was gently "finessing" it to shore and towards the old lady who had made her way down to where I was with the net, and once the fish saw her it decided to take off, then it jumped twice (I was just praying the hook wouldn't pop out) and I started to make some ground on him, but once again when I got him almost in the net, he peeled off again even further this time.  At this point I started to think it was either a big pink or something bigger; all I knew was that it was a chromer!  Finally after about 10 minutes of tiring this buck out, I was able to direct him into the net my wife was holding.  To my amazement, it turned out to be a wild coho buck in the 10 - 12 lb range.  It was the nicest fish I'd ever caught or held or seen for that matter.  Unfortunately when my wife ran down towards me with the net once I told her that I had a fish on, she forgot to bring the camera.  Because our gear (and camera) was about 100 yards away and the fact that it was a wild coho and had to be released, we decided that it would take too long to run back to get the camera and run back while the fish would stay in the net in the water, and I was unable to get a picture.  But the picture will forever remain in my brain.  What a beauty, and I now what its like to do battle with a chrome wild coho fresh from the ocean.

Good times on the tidal Fraser!

jon5hill

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 12:24:36 AM »

use photobucket and IMG links. its super easy and good quality photos