Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allyene Lake (Merritt), September 19th & 20th 2009  (Read 1400 times)

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
Allyene Lake (Merritt), September 19th & 20th 2009
« on: September 20, 2009, 08:29:41 PM »

Joined my parents this weekend at Allyene Lake. Haven't fished this lake b/c when i am in this area i like to hit kidd or courtney.
Saturday i fished with my dad and dragged flies around but it was really slow. Had a few hits on a micro green bead head leech pattern. Changed my dad's fly to a red doc spratley that my 6 year old son tied. Cruising over a shoal, my dad gets a hit and lands a 15 incher chrome rainbow. The rest of the day we got nothing.

Next morning, i had to hit the lake b/c i couldn't bear the fact that my dad might out fish me. Hit some shoals where  some big cruising fish were making an appearance. I have never experienced fly fishing where i could drop ten of my favourite fly patterns right in front of some big cruisers and not have one hit my line. A couple of smaller ones bumped the micro black leach with a little bit of red but the rest of the flies didn't even get a second look. I swear i even hit a few noses with some of my scud and damsel fly patterns. Although i couldn't hook into any of the cruisers, it sure is great sight fishing for these big guys. Frustrated, i decided to put on a home made #14 clear bead headed prince nymph. i started to cruise the shore line and got a little hit. went a little further and as i passed over the same shoal where my dad hooked into one earlier i decided to change flies. as i started reeling in slowly, bam, a huge hit and my line peels off my reel which had its drag set lightly. The line went out so fast i ended up gettting a birds next in my reel. realizing it was a decent fish i started to chase it down with my electric motor, trying to untangle the birds nest. i thought the line was going to snap but ended up getting it undone and started playing the fish. two more times the fish ran taking all the line right back to my backing. end result was a chrome 21 inch rainbow.
great fight and beautiful fish.

Great eagle shot.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

island boy

Re: Allyene Lake (Merritt), September 19th & 20th 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 05:35:44 PM »

nice fish. had the same troubles a feww weeks ago in that area. fish everywhere but on the end of my line.
you kill it, you clean it.

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:37:38 PM »

A nice fish,  have you tried Courtney this year?  Water levels are sure down.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 08:31:16 PM »

haven't tried courtney yet but i usually hit in early november. we usually get some big fish out of that lake but not in large numbers.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!