Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer fishing with roe bags or chunks when water is like it is now, low?

Roe bags
- 58 (29.6%)
Chunks
- 138 (70.4%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Author Topic: The official roe thread: Roe chunk, sac, mesh selection, borax, cure....  (Read 105316 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: The official roe thread: Roe chunk, sac, mesh selection, borax, cure....
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2009, 07:31:49 PM »

Im usually always fishing with someone so feel free to come interrupt  ;) I think when you saw me i must have been talking to former members of this site LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2009, 09:58:59 AM »

Fishseeker - you dont put a roe bag in the bait loop. all you do is stick the hook through the mesh and hopefully between the eggs without puncturing any and out the other side. It will stay on pretty good because of the mesh material of the spawn netting.

I'll let you in on the sturgeon secret of the year.

Use the rubber bumpers from Buzzbombs to hold your baitbag on the hook.

You can buy the bumpers separately in a package of 10.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »

^I like it.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2009, 08:53:31 PM »

ya those were the guys LOL they are both former members from here and another site i used to be on. He was showing off his roe to me but i wasnt that impressed  ::) it didnt look much different then mine except mine was a little drier but thats how i like it  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2009, 10:28:26 AM »

Anyone mix in a little orange in their red Fire Cure roe?  My roe looks somewhere between raspberry and grape jelly (just the colour).  Doesn't look like any roe that exists in nature.

mr.p

« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2009, 12:57:59 PM »

Anyone mix in a little orange in their red Fire Cure roe?  My roe looks somewhere between raspberry and grape jelly (just the colour).  Doesn't look like any roe that exists in nature.

I had the same problem with the Pautzke's.  I used the borax'o'fire in red.  I did a wet brine. 
Used the same procedure and the exact same amount of cure and other ingredients as I have done hundreds of times in the past with procure....
The end result was a purple coloured roe.  It also took 3 days to dry as opposed the the usual 12-18 hours.  And the colour bled like crazy when it got wet.  After my first drift, when the roe was soaked, it would spray red/purple colouring on my buddy as I cast.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

Banny

« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2009, 01:03:05 PM »

better go back to the pro cure for the rest of our roe Matt  ;)  Maybe I should snag the rest of the leftover pink roe for tomorrow as well just incase.

J

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2009, 08:37:02 PM »

I'm a little more confident in Pautzke's today.  My roe is drying at the same speed as the Pro-Cure, but its a lot more egg-like and less desiccated.  As it dries out, it looks alot more red than before.  I think I may mix in a little orange-coloured Pautzke's next time I get some roe to get a red-orange colour instead of red-pink.  I'd say that it started off at "RAL 4006" (think phenolphthalein) and once it soaks in and starts drying its becomes like 3031.

devon42

roe
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2009, 08:06:30 AM »

well the last few Weeks if been using roe on the vedder. i like using it but it seems every time i see my float go down or do a little dance i yank on it hoping for a coho. and sometimes theres no fish there so i end up losing my roe. all I'm doing to keep my roe on it putting it in a bait loop. does this happen to everyone that uses roe or is there a better way to keep your roe on your hook longer?

Nitroholic

Re: roe
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2009, 08:34:30 AM »

try roe sacks

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2009, 08:38:52 AM »

Last time I was out, I noticed a little hump in the middle of a drift.  Lots of guys that fished too deep would set the hook on this sandy hump every time their gear went over it.  maybe try shortening up your float...that way if you know you are well off bottom then any movement should be a fish. 

mr.p

« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2009, 12:38:21 PM »

The best way to keep the roe on the hook is using a bait loop.  Try wrapping the line around the hook shank 20-30 times.  This will increase the surface area which the line touches the roe.  Therefore it shouldn't cut through the skein membrane as easily. 

I find coho have very soft mouths.  You can set the hook with a gentle tug.  You don't have to yank on it so hard that your float comes flying back at you.  Plus the gentle tug hookset helps keep the pool unspooked.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2009, 05:19:19 PM »

First of all, make sure the roe is quality roe with some skein attached.  Make sure the bait loop goes around the skein.  Should last several casts. 

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2009, 07:20:14 PM »

Well, it will take some time for you to be able to tell a bite from bottom.
So just keep doing what you are doing.
For springs, roe sacks work well. They just don't care.
For other fish appropriate roe cure would be better.

devon42

« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2009, 07:45:37 PM »

would it be ok if i was to buy some roe already cured and ad some borax to it for a little more cure.... so to speak. or would that be something i shouldnt do.