Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: 2009 Stave River salmon fishery  (Read 64398 times)

Trophy Fisher

Re: 2009 Stave River salmon fishery
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2009, 09:46:54 PM »

I was there today with WESTFORM, his daughter and our friend, we were up near the dam in the fast water at high tide when the schools of chum come in, I had 4 chum and one pink on today. In the afternoon we went out to the mouth and WESTFORM hooked into a 6' dino. Great day...a little windy for me, but better than hanging around the house.

smilasin

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2009, 03:32:38 PM »

I was there today with WESTFORM, his daughter and our friend, we were up near the dam in the fast water at high tide when the schools of chum come in, I had 4 chum and one pink on today. In the afternoon we went out to the mouth and WESTFORM hooked into a 6' dino. Great day...a little windy for me, but better than hanging around the house.
My plan is to go out tomorrow morning, what did you use for bait?

Mikael150

« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2009, 04:54:22 PM »

was at the stave last weekend and there were a fair few chum being pulled out, not many coho, and a few jacks.

Jace

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2009, 05:58:33 PM »

Hey, Im heading out to the Stave tomorrow morning.
Im targeting chum and coho, what set up should i use, i was thinking of spincasting spoons or jigs.
or i will use my bait caster and float fish or whatever will catch me fish.
Any and all advice will help.
Thanks

Banny

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2009, 05:59:47 PM »

Try short floating silver blades along any of the main flows

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2009, 07:32:59 PM »

floating roe for coho or jigs and blades for chum/coho
spinning with spoons or spinners, both work well in the right water but you can get foul hooked fish if there are too many around
best bet is to try and find rising fish.most areas should now have chum, maybe lots.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2009, 08:40:15 PM »

I was out there this morning and i'll be out there again tomorrow. I hooked 5 chum on the fly but couldn't land any of them. I'm not used to fly fishing for such a big fish. 5lbs and under i can handle but these big boys tore mre a new one. First fish on decided to head back to sea as soon as he was hooked and my knuckles took a beating from the screaming reel before it spat the hook. Of the other 4 i hooked, one more spat the hook and three snapped me off  >:(

Oh well, i'll try again tomorrow, maybe i'll have a bit more luck.

Jace

« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2009, 08:44:33 PM »

I will head to the tackle shop before fishing tomorrow and pick up what is needed.
how crowded is the stave right now?

Banny

« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2009, 08:48:16 PM »

I was out there this morning and i'll be out there again tomorrow. I hooked 5 chum on the fly but couldn't land any of them. I'm not used to fly fishing for such a big fish. 5lbs and under i can handle but these big boys tore mre a new one. First fish on decided to head back to sea as soon as he was hooked and my knuckles took a beating from the screaming reel before it spat the hook. Of the other 4 i hooked, one more spat the hook and three snapped me off  >:(

Oh well, i'll try again tomorrow, maybe i'll have a bit more luck.

I don't mean for you to take this the wrong way but did you consider the possibility that the chum may have been foul hooked?  If you were swinging heavy tips/flies it is a possibility (If you weren't ignore what I said).  Foul hooked chum are nasty on a fly rod (any rod really), fair hooked chum usually only have one good run then dog it until they are brought in.  Chum in the stave can be particularity bad because they seem to be a fair bit larger on average than those in the other main river systems.  

Good luck tomorrow, hope you get a few brutes to shore

Jace

« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2009, 09:05:12 PM »

Whats the limit on coho/chum in the stave

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Jace

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »

Thanks Rod

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2009, 09:52:33 PM »

Hey, Im heading out to the Stave tomorrow morning.
Im targeting chum and coho, what set up should i use, i was thinking of spincasting spoons or jigs.
or i will use my bait caster and float fish or whatever will catch me fish.
Any and all advice will help.
Thanks
Try purple jigs or a small amount of purple wool tied to your hook with an egg loop knot - worked well for me today.

mvelasco

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2009, 10:47:22 PM »

does everyone go to the mouth? or has anyone ever tried more up stream???

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2009, 04:12:10 PM »

I don't mean for you to take this the wrong way but did you consider the possibility that the chum may have been foul hooked?  If you were swinging heavy tips/flies it is a possibility (If you weren't ignore what I said).  Foul hooked chum are nasty on a fly rod (any rod really), fair hooked chum usually only have one good run then dog it until they are brought in.  Chum in the stave can be particularity bad because they seem to be a fair bit larger on average than those in the other main river systems.  

Good luck tomorrow, hope you get a few brutes to shore

See thats what I thought at first but I'm pretty sure i only snagged one in the dorsal and it snapped me off pretty quick, all the other appeared to be in the lip from what i could see . I'm not using a heavy tip and the fly is not weighted (no lead underbody and no bead head, just marabou and hook). I tried again today for a bit on the fly but i gave up pretty quick as my hand were getting too cold. I changed to short floating and landed quite a few. Kept two and let the rest go.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15