Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 26th 2009  (Read 5630 times)

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
Re: Chilliwack River, September 26th 2009
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 09:48:21 AM »

Fish the canal first light no ho's biting lots of pink and clean one to, Then Bump into one guys he claim he's a newbie in the vedder his second weekend, obvious cause of the way he cast. For 2 hours most people limit out but this newbie guys haven't caught a single pink and saying he'll be going home before 11:am ....it's 10:30 AM I decided to gave him some of my fresh pink. by  10:50 AM he was saying this is he's "Last Cast!"   ..Then..Boom!!..a 38 lbs Spring jump in front of us with his hook on the mouth and manage to land it.... We all chock :-[

Are you seeing fresh chrome pinks still in the Vedder?

Fisherama

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 10:33:34 AM »

I saw on the other Vedder mouth thread from today made the comment that most pinks caught today were male and very few females.  I noticed the same thing throughout the river.  Hooked males outnmbered hooked females about 5 to 1.  Is it just that the males are more agressive biters, or are we overfishing the females?

Purely based on observation, I think that the males are much more aggressive than the females, especially when it comes to blades.  I've drifted blades through pods of pinks (mostly female) in plain view and noticed that the males will sometimes attack the blade repeatedly, although not fully committing to the bite.

mr.p

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 11:01:05 AM »

I saw a few fresh fish caught yesterday.  But for the most part they are past their prime. 
I landed approx 10 throughout the day, none of which were fresh.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

doja

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 11:02:29 AM »

Probably still a few in there but the ones I found were on the move and not holding in 1 spot, those ones staying in 1 spot are well past prime and most likely spawning.

Find moving fish!

Banny

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 11:04:18 AM »

I was fly fishing for springs on the upper and actually had a few remarkably bright pinks hammer my flies in the tailout of the run I was fishing.  Total surprise as I was fishing black muddlers and mickey finns.  For the most part all of the visible pinks were well past the fresh stage.

funpig

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 11:19:12 AM »

Oww. Woke up this morning and my right hand (can't make a fist) and forearm were sore and stiff.  Casting flies and fighting pinks for 12 hours really did a number on me.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 02:51:11 PM »

Took two newbies and boy was it frustrating!Two guys across from were getting fish every cast and my buddies could not figure out why they were not hooking any.So I took them up top and showed them the guys were just snagging them.They would drift into a school and rip,fish on.It was funny to boot I kept hearing this one is ligit it's in the mouth.Just shows you ,you can dress up like a fisherman but it does not make you one!Then I took them down to the canal where I watch two asain guys snag and bonk pink after pink ::) geesh now i have to worry if my buds are going to end up that way?Any ways the weather was nice and I hooked and landed a few pinks and saw a nice spring pulled out just below me.Bring on the rain!

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 03:28:52 PM »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2009, 07:44:40 PM »

We did ok yesterday.  Got out early to our spot.  Managed to avoid the big whites and for the most part the pinks.  After hooking a few spring jacks, we started to get these:

and then this:

Between my friend and I, we managed about 10 coho hookups all on cured roe.  The Ho's are big this year as most of the ones we caught were over 9 pounds.  I took home two (8 and 11 pound hatchery does). 

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2009, 07:59:48 PM »

8 and 11 lbs?  Hmm.  I weighed mine at 8 lbs (gutted) so I'm going to go with 9 - 10 lbs.  The jack was 5-6 lbs.  Can't wait to do it again Stratocaster!

;)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 08:03:25 PM »

8 and 11 lbs?  Hmm.  I weighed mine at 8 lbs (gutted) so I'm going to go with 9 - 10 lbs.  The jack was 5-6 lbs.  Can't wait to do it again Stratocaster!

;)

Really?  Ok 9 and 12 then  ;D

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2009, 08:03:50 PM »

NEED RAIN ASAP! i was out yesterday for pinks on the fly, lots around, very agressive. river is still super low!
Fish killer 101

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2009, 08:40:12 PM »

LOL - I'm using a spring loaded scale - so there may be a +/- 25% error.  Actually, I have no idea how accurate that scale is!  :D

Careful about wishing for rain!  We don't want the river to blow out!!!  It's done that so many times when we wish for rain...

mr.p

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »

Beautiful hos guys!  Absolutely gorgeous.  And from what I've seen, they are quite large this year.  Unfortunately, my biggest has been a 5# wild.

As for the rain, I'm praying too.  Not just for the vedder.  But other flows are super low as well.  There are rivers/creeks/streams that are literally dry.  I know of 3 rivers right now with fish just waiting at the mouth and being picked off by seals and snaggers.  Fishing should be unbelievable everywhere after the first solid rain we get.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

hookme

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 05:42:03 PM »

Going to the vedder before dawn really paid off I think around 10 to 12 lbs.  My first this year on Rodney's roe recipe. Thanks! rodney,  I just don't see many bite noon and early afternoon i don't know why?