Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 4th 2009  (Read 2673 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, October 4th 2009
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:55:02 AM »

Still no coho for me but did get a chum and a pink by the tail  ::) on a brief outing this am Also got a headache from some smoke drifting down from 3 young guys. I wish they would be more consider of others when they want to smoke that stuff and do it up on the dyke before they come to the river.

Changed the garbage bag at Hoogies, glad to see so many people using it.

I found a drennan ( no name on it) which was good as I broke the Maple Leaf Drennan on the rocks when I missed a fish, my last cast before leaving. Also found a pair of pliers, anyone lose them? Also rescued 3 DNE floats and some foam ones.

Very windy today with some color still in the water but conditions still perfect

Aki

Re: Chilliwack River, October 4th 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 01:50:52 PM »

My son, his friend and I were at the river, lower end, before daylight. Hooked and landed a 10lb plus hatchery coho (just as it was getting light) and my son landed three cohos, a wild one; one that was a past its prime; and one foul hooked hatchery that approached 14 to 15 lbs (all were gently released in the water). Also saw a number of other coho's hooked and some landed. Most of the coho action was on spinners. The one I landed was caught on a number 4 hook; 8lb leader; and a tiny piece (perhaps 1/4 the size of a single pea) of peach/white wool combintation. Some spring action around us also. The river is still full of pinks so it is diffiuclt to pick out the coho and springs. Seems like the coho are coming in stronger than last week. Weather was beautiful and the bite came off very shortly after sunrise. We moved up river and didn't see any serious action. Left before noon. All in all a good outing; brought home my first coho of the year. :)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 04:24:40 PM »

Got a 10 lb hatch on roe.
A fella landed a dorsal fin hooked spring of about 35 lb.
It was amazing that such a fish can move up with the river being so low.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 05:00:16 PM »

I hope whoever snagged that Spring let it go.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 05:49:10 PM »

lots of action for me and some friends this weekend. Yesterday I took home a triple header with a hatchery coho, a spring jack and a female chum that was in amazing shape. today I released a hatchery coho that was really small and kept a spring jack and a 14lb chrome spring. Gooey released a gorgeous 10+lb wild coho and kept a red spring jack, it was a pleasant surprise when he was cleaning the jack to see that dark orange flesh. Water is perfect, no rain please.
Fish on!

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 07:51:46 PM »

lots of action for me and some friends this weekend. Yesterday I took home a triple header with a hatchery coho, a spring jack and a female chum that was in amazing shape. today I released a hatchery coho that was really small and kept a spring jack and a 14lb chrome spring. Gooey released a gorgeous 10+lb wild coho and kept a red spring jack, it was a pleasant surprise when he was cleaning the jack to see that dark orange flesh. Water is perfect, no rain please.
Good job on your chrome spring, water is perfect, fish are slightly spooked fish a run for 4 hrs and then 5 cohos on in half hours landing only 1 hatchery today.  Another beautiful day out.

Nervo69

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 08:26:53 AM »

Hooked 7-10 pound silver hatchery coho but lost him right at the beach >:( i left my roe in the water in front of me to watch the guy down stream and i lifted my rod and the fish was there feeding on my roe ;D. So 2 guys down stream hook up 1 guy loses his and the other guy plays it for anter 30-45. When he lands it its a 22-25 hatchery spring :o He landed it on a trout fly rod :o Anyways there wasnt a bite all the rest of the day :-[ 

poncho

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 01:19:46 PM »

What size Drennan float do you guys recommend for the Chilliwack River? Looking to go out there next week.

mr.p

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 02:22:53 PM »

What size Drennan float do you guys recommend for the Chilliwack River? Looking to go out there next week.

I've been using a 20grs.  But if you're fishing faster water then i'd go up to a 25 or 30grs.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 03:54:17 PM »

Pretty windy alright. Couldn't keep the jacks off my line using the roe from Fridays fish. Lost a couple bigger ones and released a nice size wild coho.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

poncho

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 04:20:57 PM »

I've been using a 20grs.  But if you're fishing faster water then i'd go up to a 25 or 30grs.

Thanks for the advice.

Nervo69

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 04:58:22 PM »

U need a about a mid size float but dont use one that's to big i found 3 or 4 on the river one of them was huge. it was huge i dont know who would use it ???. i picked up fishing line that was 15 feet long. he was snagging for sure >:(.