Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small Mouth Bass - A day away from the salmon crowds  (Read 12462 times)

Hook, Line and Sinker

Small Mouth Bass - A day away from the salmon crowds
« on: October 05, 2009, 08:14:33 PM »

After standing shoulder to shoulder with guys at Haney Wharf over the pink run, I thought it might be nice to get away from the crowds and switch up my target species before I get serious about Coho in the coming weeks.

Headed out to Grant Narrows Park in Pitt Meadows and walked the dykes along the Allouette river where it drains into the system of sloughs up against the mountains.

I was targeting my favourite fresh water prey: beautiful rainbow trout, of course! First cast, and BAM! a small mouth bass took my pink/white/green spinner like a fat kid on a Smarty (I've got some extra pounds around the middle, so I can make that joke, I think).

Next cast, same thing. Landed 6 in 10 minutes. Released 'em and moved on.

Tried 5 different pools around the area, 3 of which produced bass in the first 10 casts. Started driving back to the city and decided to stop at the 3 bridges along the way, each a different arm of the Allouette. Sure enough, 2 of those bridge spots produced hook-ups, and I decided to keep 2 of the bass for tonights dinner.  Not a rainbow to be seen, however. But those bass are sooo much fun - they're aggresive, bite hard and fight like lil' devils.

Fried in the pan with dill, butter and lemon = yum.

Anyway, long story short, it was a great alternative to the big salmon runs and the big salmon crowds of late. I recommend it, if only for the scenery alone - take a drive out to Dewdney Trunk Rd.

On a side note, I met 4 other fishermen while out, but all of them at the bridge points, not along the dykes or in the isolated pools - everyone else was short floating with only mild success. I say use a light weight spinner , stay mobile, and you'll have better luck. It worked for me.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Small Mouth Bass - A day away from the salmon crowds
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:17:56 PM »

Glad you had such a great day but those fish are most likely largemouth. Do you have any pics?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

noxcape

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 08:38:53 PM »

it is deffinatly a large mouth bass there are NO smallmouth bass in the lower mainland

i know where he is talkigna bout and i fish there all the time thats also how i know there large mouth

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 08:45:59 PM »

I've only ever eaten Smallmouth-is there a discernible difference in taste between Smallies and Largemouth?

Whaddaya think?

Weatherby

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 09:21:53 PM »

wicked!

noxcape

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 09:37:01 PM »

smallies dont taste as muddy as largemouth could be because of the type of water they live in

Hook, Line and Sinker

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 09:54:20 PM »

Ahhh - I stand corrected. Large mouth bass it is then.

I took my identification from an old uncle of mine who taught me how to fish. Old uncles are notoriuosly unreliable...

He's the same one who told me: "No, no, girls LIKE it when you admire their sisters."

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 10:00:45 PM »

LOL... what about if they're identical twins? ;D

Do bass keep actively feeding in colder temps or do they slow down a bit in the fall?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 10:12:04 PM »

LOL... what about if they're identical twins? ;D

Do bass keep actively feeding in colder temps or do they slow down a bit in the fall?

They slow down allot

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

minsyoo

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 10:19:16 PM »

how big/small are these guys on average? i'm very very intrigued

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 11:26:37 PM »

About a pound and a half is average.  In my experience.  I have caught 4+ pounders from fishtrap, the sloughs that you speak of, silvermere etc.  They make for great eating.  And I THINK, there is no limit on them in lower mainland waters.  GREAT EATING and ever BETTER fertilizer when taken from non "dfo" stocked area. (ie all lowermainland areas)

noxcape

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 08:12:40 AM »

there is afour fish limit in the lower mainland and i know some of you dont like this but please try to respect it eh

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 11:43:49 AM »

there is afour fish limit in the lower mainland and i know some of you dont like this but please try to respect it eh

They considered an invasive species, so why the limit?  Is it just so that people don't gather up 30 fish in a bucket and go stock their favorite waters? 

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 11:58:36 AM »

About a pound and a half is average.  In my experience.  I have caught 4+ pounders from fishtrap, the sloughs that you speak of, silvermere etc.  They make for great eating.  And I THINK, there is no limit on them in lower mainland waters.  GREAT EATING and ever BETTER fertilizer when taken from non "dfo" stocked area. (ie all lowermainland areas)

I have been catching mostly 'smallies' (small fingerling size) from shore/dyke. Perhaps guys in boats get bigger ones especially Silvermere. Mostly released but if I catch the big one, it will be cooked like a rock cod. I heard they have similar meat texture ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:00:20 PM by Steelhawk »

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 11:59:11 AM »

on a side note, where exactly were u fishing? i havent bass fished in years and would like to give it a try again. i know the general area u were fishing in fairly well...  8) that is if u dont mind giving away your secret location 8) ;)