Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 10th 2009  (Read 2913 times)

devon42

Chilliwack River, October 10th 2009
« on: October 10, 2009, 04:39:28 PM »

started early this morning in the lower. already lots of people waiting for a little bit of light to see. once i started fishing i soon hooked into a nice hatchery coho around 7-8 pounds. also hooked into a dirty jack chinook and lost a big brute later in the day thanks to the fish getting tangled with 2 other anglers..... in the morning the water visability was a little lower then whats it been but it cleared up as the day went on. lots of people out today.. i dont think iv seen that many in the past 3 weeks there.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, October 10th 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »

started early this morning in the lower. already lots of people waiting for a little bit of light to see. once i started fishing i soon hooked into a nice hatchery coho around 7-8 pounds. also hooked into a dirty jack chinook and lost a big brute later in the day thanks to the fish getting tangled with 2 other anglers..... in the morning the water visability was a little lower then whats it been but it cleared up as the day went on. lots of people out today.. i dont think iv seen that many in the past 3 weeks there.
Or in years. ;D I tried for a bit, 1 hour this morning and missed a couple of fish of some sorts then decided to cleanup some garbage and meet up with rhino for a visit. However I got my directions mixed up where they were and missed seeing him. He was having a good time showing some friends some fishing so we cancelled our trip for lunch to Cookies. ??? He told me one of his fishing partners had taken his first chinook ever. ;D

I saw a good number of large chinooks and jacks taken with the odd coho and chum as well. One chap I know had two good sized coho jacks. I heard one member of this forum had a 8 pound hatchery coho to the beach and in his hands but it somehow swam away. ???  :'( Maybe we will hear the full story later. :-\

I saw a number of infractions while picking up the garbage, fish being pulled up onto the sand, held down by boots before being pushed back into the river, two cases of groups of people keeping their fish alive on a string ( I informed them to dispatch them and they did as well some people were not marking their adult chinooks on their licenses right after being landed and retained. These people saw me watching them while they cleaned them and I think they thought I was a CO and started marking their licenses then. ;D ;D

All these are infractions and can cause the offenders to receive a sizeable fine.

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 05:53:16 PM »

I guess it would be illegal to impersonate a CO officer. I would like to do that every time I go to the Vedder.  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 06:05:56 PM »

I heard one member of this forum had a 8 pound hatchery coho to the beach and in his hands but it somehow swam away. ???  :'( Maybe we will hear the full story later. :-\

It wasn't even his fish, that was the funny part about it. ;D

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 06:37:04 PM »

Is it Illegal to pretend to be fisheries ?? I met a guy a few years back that had a legit CO jacket and always wore it fishing. I asked if he was a CO and he said no it was his dads extra or something (cant remember exactly) but it was nice to see everyone fish legally when he was there  ;D ;D

HOOK - thinking of how he can get a CO jacket to wear fishing
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 06:37:38 PM »

Or in years. ;D I tried for a bit, 1 hour this morning and missed a couple of fish of some sorts then decided to cleanup some garbage and meet up with rhino for a visit. However I got my directions mixed up where they were and missed seeing him. He was having a good time showing some friends some fishing so we cancelled our trip for lunch to Cookies. ??? He told me one of his fishing partners had taken his first chinook ever. ;D

I saw a good number of large chinooks and jacks taken with the odd coho and chum as well. One chap I know had two good sized coho jacks. I heard one member of this forum had a 8 pound hatchery coho to the beach and in his hands but it somehow swam away. ???  :'( Maybe we will hear the full story later. :-\

I saw a number of infractions while picking up the garbage, fish being pulled up onto the sand, held down by boots before being pushed back into the river, two cases of groups of people keeping their fish alive on a string ( I informed them to dispatch them and they did as well some people were not marking their adult chinooks on their licenses right after being landed and retained. These people saw me watching them while they cleaned them and I think they thought I was a CO and started marking their licenses then. ;D ;D

All these are infractions and can cause the offenders to receive a sizeable fine.

sorry again about the directions Chris. the new guys had a blast today both got to fight a spring only one was lucky enough to land it and one lost a COHO too!! ;D The experience was pleasant for them as they are new to the vedder. for me it was a different story. I  stopped fishing after the 8th or 9 th fly caught pink and helped my friends the rest of the day while waiting for you.lol.i cant believe the poor etiquette today and we wont even talk about the infractions. I did see a few anglers fishing by the rules including kids which was nice.

we wil catch up again soon.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 06:56:31 PM »

Is it Illegal to pretend to be fisheries ?? I met a guy a few years back that had a legit CO jacket and always wore it fishing. I asked if he was a CO and he said no it was his dads extra or something (cant remember exactly) but it was nice to see everyone fish legally when he was there  ;D ;D

HOOK - thinking of how he can get a CO jacket to wear fishing

Maybe a little retrofitting might be in order?  Demand cash from snaggers and put the money towards the hatchery.  Anyone else want to join my milita? :P  I'll bet its generally frowned upon to impersonate an official. But if the end justifies the means... ::) ;)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 06:58:38 PM by Matt »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 07:22:37 PM »

I guess it would be illegal to impersonate a CO officer. I would like to do that every time I go to the Vedder.  ;)
Nothing wrong with bringing infractions to the attention of those not compling . One of the reasons is there is so many new anglers on the rivers with pink salmon mania going on. Many donot know they are doing wrong and because of the cutback in both Federal and Provincial staffing levels there is not enough officers to have more patrols out on the rivers. As well we all should be calling the report line when you see the laws being broken which we are asked to do. I know that gets frustrating as the officers can not always attend right away but they are out there in plain cloths too.

I think most think I am a dumpster diver picking up tins and garbage from the gravel bars. ;D ;D ;D

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 08:40:31 PM »

LOL the CO jacket would be hilarious. I had a friend back home who had a real butte county jail orange jumpsuit.Needless to say he wore it out on halloween  and had a few officers run his name :D
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

robj

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 09:42:01 AM »

I saw fisheries drive by yesterday when I was going to the Tamahi.  So they were out there.  There is nothing wrong with telling people the right way to do things.  For the first time ever, left the rod at home and took the quad instead.  Did not feel like dealing with the crowd.

Have a great day,

Rob. 

sassyboy

• Mining for Chrome
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 10:12:04 AM »

Fished lower river and the action was fairly steady all day total landed for day was 2 springs released (my buddy released an over 30lber on the dark side  and I one around 18), 5 Jacks, kept 3, 7 pinks , 8 chum and 1 hatchery coho. Chum were very clean as were the pinks. It was nice to met Chris on the bar doing his clean up and making a few $ from cans at the same time. He made me promise to report on my day. Fish were on the move all day it started with the springs in the am then pinks moved in then the chum and My coho was with them. Had to quit at 2.00pm as high tide basically put an end to the nice drift we had been getting all day, It was my friends first time fishing in about a year and he loved it. a great day. Here are a couple of pics.
Cheers

Spring

my spring

Hatchery Coho