Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 12th 2009: Thanksgiving Day And So Many Bites  (Read 2727 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

After celebrating Thanksgiving dinner yesterday with family and friends it was a day get back out on the river to shed a few pounds that were added at yesterday's feast. We are so fortunate in this country for all we have and I know we complain about things but we live in a country of opportunity as well as plenty and yes the fishing is not bad either.

I hit the river at first light and I see fires burning, set to keep the early risers warm from the 0 or a little less temperature. Fall is now in the air, you can feel it when you breath in, I love it, as the fishing will be good and the ducks will be flying too. Also I will be doing some cutthroat fishing, fishing for brood stock. That is always fun as lots of bites ,when you can find these gorgeous trout.

I settle in at the lower part of the run and fairly quickly I am into a chum which I decide to retain for smoking. Yesterday at the party I took the other chum I had landed and it was devoured very quickly as all seeemed to like smoked fish.

I miss a couple of fish and see one hatchery coho taken. I also get a fresh male pink with the hump just starting to show. I though these guys were finished but it looks like they are not. It gets a bit crowed at the run so I decide to go after some garbage and tins. There is always lots in the river bottom that have drifted down from above but is is a bit of a pain to get out the sand.

I run into Sassyboy and his friend. Sassyboy has a chinook jack but he says it has been a bit slow but should pick up later when the tide changes. I continue down river and see lots of anglers and as many tins. On the way back to the Leaf Mobile I am please to meet Hue-nut. We have a good chin wag and he tells me fishing has been slow in the area he was fishing too. I tell him I am going to Tims and he says he is a Starbuck guy, too pricey for this old timer but I had plenty of tins collected to buy his and mine, I should have gone along to Starbucks but I have only been there twice before, maybe next time.

After reading the paper over a nice cup of java I take a look at the Fraser and I see the tide has not turned yet. A few more tins there and I slip back to the Vedder. Sassyboys friend is the only one fishing the run. He says Sassyboy is chasing a float, downriver through the gauntlet of people, a drennan I believe it was.

On my first cast in the Sassy Run I am into a fresh run chum doe, certainly cleaner than the one I took, she is sent on her way of course. Sassyboy returns sans the drennan and starts fishing at the top of the run, I am below, first in line. I then connect with chinook jack, a clipped one too. I retain it as it may give me a prize when I sends the head in.

Other anglers begin to show up and in the next couple of hours the bite is on and I cannot remember how many I missed or connected with, close to 3 dozen I guess. I land more chum, another clipped chinook jack that joins the other for science. Fresh pinks too and I like to believe I had two coho on but none to say for sure. I did see a large silver flash, either a coho or a bright adult chinook. Finally I run out of bait and call it day, certainly one with the most bites I have had in a long time too.

Maybe tomorrow will see coho # 2 hit the beach as all the bites today have got me fired up. I guess the fish smell the rain coming and are as excited as I was today, a great Thanksgiving Day.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 09:09:02 PM by chris gadsden »

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, October 12th 2009: Thanksgiving Day And So Many Bites
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 06:46:40 PM »

Fished the mid-river today and scouted out some new spots.   Its new really low and clear.  Had one bite.  Buddy hooked a boot spring and some unseen fish, third buddy didn't touch anything.   Glad the rain is coming.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 06:52:22 PM »

Had a great day at first light. Started with a chinook Jack on roe. Then a few pinks which weren't in horrible shape. They hit roe hard if given the chance. Next a hatch coho jack which takes it's place next to the spring Jack on shore. Another pink and then a wild coho jack which is gently released. Followed by 3 lost coho 2 of which are at our feet. One was a jack the others around 6 pounds. Then my Dad lands a chrome wild coho which is gently released. Next another hatchery coho jack which is a little bigger the last one and takes it's place on shore. That takes us to 10:00am which is when the bite died. I lost one more chinook around ten pounds and a Jack. Released a few more pinks and ender our day at two. Saw a few other coho taken as well and a BIG spring. That tops off uor day and the best day I have ever had on the vedder as nobody was near us. Let it rain ;D
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 07:52:04 PM »

Fished first light today and boy was it cold. Hard to get more than a few drifts in without needing to warm the hands. I shook hands with a few fish right off the bat but it took me three hookups before I landed a hatchery doe. I continued the day with that landing ratio and hooking a total of 12 coho.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 08:12:28 PM »

We fished both Saturday and Monday. Our choice location was lower canal.

Saturday: Fishing was fast and furious for the first 2 hours until the sun came out and the bite just stopped. Roe was the ticket.

Monday: Fishing was good for about 4 hours with the cloudy conditions. We hooked into many cohos and let go quite a few preferring to keep the jacks as I find them better eating than the bigger version. Roe was the ticket too for today.

This has been an excellent year for cohos.

Tee

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 08:24:46 PM »

We fished both Saturday and Monday. Our choice location was lower canal.

Saturday: Fishing was fast and furious for the first 2 hours until the sun came out and the bite just stopped. Roe was the ticket.

Monday: Fishing was good for about 4 hours with the cloudy conditions. We hooked into many cohos and let go quite a few preferring to keep the jacks as I find them better eating than the bigger version. Roe was the ticket too for today.

This has been an excellent year for cohos.

Cohoman, you must have been at the run below us as we didn't see as many coho   :-\. However, we mananged a few, two on the fly but one landed.
I only fish on days that end with "y".

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 08:41:50 PM »

chris it was fun running into, you'll have to hit bucks with me next time, and I'll buy :D. great to hear that the bite came back on, sounds like a of action!

coho killer

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 09:46:32 PM »

landed 5 hatch, 1 wild and lost 2

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 10:06:37 PM »

I went this morning and froze. Caught a whole bunch of nothing i floated some roe and a few different wool colors tried 3 different spots.Met a few nice gentlemen but other than that i still need to catch something im thinkin of trying a local river in the morning...one of these days i may get lucky enough to land my first coho or even chum.Ive only ever caught pink and spring.Sounds like you had a awesome day chris i need one like that. ;)
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

mr.p

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 11:21:15 PM »

I hit the river at first light and I see fires burning, set to keep the early risers warm from the 0 or a little less temperature. Fall is now in the air, you can feel it when you breath in, I love it, as

That was me a buddy and another guy on the other side.  The fire was definately nice.
I fished firstlight through about 2pm.  No coho love today.  I was even using fresh coho roe from the doe I took yesterday.

Stay in that stretch of river and you will have #2,3,4,5,6.... to the beach within a few days.
I've fished that area hard since beginning of September and have had a very good season so far.  That second spot you fished later in the day was actually one of my honey holes earlier in the season.  Nobody used to fish that run.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 11:24:13 PM by mr.p »
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

sassyboy

• Mining for Chrome
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 08:11:57 AM »

Chris, Glad to hear it picked up after we left. I figured it would once the tide came up.  :D
Sounds like you had lotsa action, nice one. See you on the river.
Peter

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 12:28:17 PM »

Just wanted to say I was in my neoprenes the temperature was actually quite comfortable.  didn't have my hood up until the wind started blowing after 9am.