Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, October 13th 2009  (Read 1081 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Tidal Fraser River, October 13th 2009
« on: October 13, 2009, 10:09:41 PM »

Not a whole lot to report today, a sharp contrast to yesterday's fishing result, but that's just the way it is when fishing down here.

I managed to catch a large northern pikeminnow not long after I started casting. It gave quite a strong brief run that had me thinking coho jack until I saw the scaly body.

I had another follower that was most likely a bull trout. It tapped the spinner on two different casts but could not connect.

gman joined me for a brief session, he had a few taps and managed to hook a fish briefly.

Scooterguy also joined us later on. He made a cast for his son and gave the rod to him so he could retrieve it. The end result on that first cast was a bright coho jack that we all wished to catch! His first one ever, good for him! Wild, so released after a quick photo.

Not much else happened. Saw a cutthroat trout caught. Heavy rain came occasionally. Water clarity is excellent. Today was the first day when I finally saw a large number of chum salmon moving through during the incoming tide. They were in very good shape but none were willing to bite as usual.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Tidal Fraser River, October 13th 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 10:46:14 PM »

Well at least you are keeping a good track record.  .... being a good guide.   ;)

Dr. Backlash

Re: Tidal Fraser River, October 13th 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 12:48:44 PM »

Nice report Rod, what a nice fish!  Good to hear that you finally saw a decent size school of chum rolling into the Fraser - were they rolling? porpoising? jumping? or all three?  I haven't targeted chum in the fraser before and was just wondering if they give themselves away?  Thanks in advance!