Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 14th 2009  (Read 2311 times)

rymack

• I'm a llama!
Chilliwack River, October 14th 2009
« on: October 14, 2009, 03:02:04 PM »

Hot the vedder  at first light this morning. Bonked a chrome coho jack. nothing else to show for me. The gentleman next to me was in to fish consistently using a gold coloured spoon  bb/swung and retrieved. All the fish he had except for maybe 3 bit and were hooked in the mouth. Judging how he called coho's silvers i assumed he was from south of the border.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, October 14th 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 03:39:13 PM »

thanks for the report! my fishing buddy and I hit the river first light as well. We broke off chum after chum, landed a few nice jack springs, a couple really big springers, and a nice hatchery doe for each of us :P good day, super chill on the flow, we had to fish alone again today :'(

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 06:12:16 PM »

Nice meeting you Hue-Nut!  We did not get much after you left  but buddy (FFM) took home a hatchery ho caught earlier in the day.  He also connected with quite a few ho jacks.  Quiet for me as I only hooked and lost a ho jack plus a few chum.  Despite the rain which we desperately need, it was a good day.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 07:45:24 PM »

Nice meeting you Hue-Nut!  We did not get much after you left  but buddy (FFM) took home a hatchery ho caught earlier in the day.  He also connected with quite a few ho jacks.  Quiet for me as I only hooked and lost a ho jack plus a few chum.  Despite the rain which we desperately need, it was a good day.

great to meet you as well, I'll keep my eye out for you on the flow, and congrats to ffm

mr.p

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 08:49:40 PM »

I got out this afternoon.  Started out with chum after chum after chum.  The stretch of river I was fishing was absolutely loaded with chum.  It was interesting watching them chasing the pinks around.  Managed a nice 10lb hoe buck in the early evening. 
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 10:54:45 PM »

You forgot to mention YOUR jack spring - it was a nice chrome fish... :D

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 08:15:14 AM »

:-\I fished also. i managed to foul hook two ugly but huge pinks and a 13 inch pikeminnow.I need some better holes to fish or something. I stopped at KWB on the way back for a  look i watched a guy catch a pink then next cast a chum then next cast a 35-40 pound spring that i would not have bonked but he did.I took today off fishing im tired of catching nothing... ???
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 09:46:30 AM »

You forgot to mention YOUR jack spring - it was a nice chrome fish... :D

Hmm, selective memory I guess ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 12:43:44 AM »

So after yesterday's (or the day before yesterday, since it's already 12:3am on October 16th ::) ) outing with Chris, I was so tired that I fell asleep with my laptop on my lap and decided to skip the report/blog writing until now.

We fished a spot where Chris has been doing well lately and the first hour or so, there wasn't a single bite. The wind was howling, the rain was coming down hard and I asked Chris, "You sure there are fish here??"

After that comment, Chris wandered off and disappeared, either embarrassed or offended by my remark. ;D

Pretty much right after he left, the bites came on! ;D

I had eight drifts with eight bites, kept a jack spring and a jack coho right away. The bites kept going for the next two hours, Chris joined us again after his walk and got some bites too. Most of the bites near the second half of the session were from chums. By 10:30am we decided to stop because of too many chums and anglers. We went to Cookies for breakfast of course.

After Cookies, I decided to do a solo session to try somewhere different. After two hours of floating roe, I only had one quick take so I decided to switch to my spoon.

While tying up the spoon, a coho popped its head out in front of me and went down to the same spot, around 20 feet directly in front of me. I thought, perhaps I should cast the spoon upstream and estimate the distance so it would drift by its face. I did so, sure enough, the fish turned its head and started following the spoon as it approached me. 15ft, 10ft, 5ft, I watched its mouth opened right up, grabbed onto the spoon and turned around right away. It pretty much hooked itself. ;D It had to be the fastest coho fight I've ever had. Within a minute I had the 8lb hatchery buck on the river bank. It was slightly coloured, but for someone who hadn't land a hatchery coho this season, I sure was not complaining. ;D

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 04:46:49 AM »

While tying up the spoon, a coho popped its head out in front of me and went down to the same spot, around 20 feet directly in front of me. I thought, perhaps I should cast the spoon upstream and estimate the distance so it would drift by its face. I did so, sure enough, the fish turned its head and started following the spoon as it approached me. 15ft, 10ft, 5ft, I watched its mouth opened right up, grabbed onto the spoon and turned around right away. It pretty much hooked itself. ;D It had to be the fastest coho fight I've ever had. Within a minute I had the 8lb hatchery buck on the river bank. It was slightly coloured, but for someone who hadn't land a hatchery coho this season, I sure was not complaining. ;D

Great little tale, Rod - like bonefishing the flats!