Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 15th 2009  (Read 4297 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, October 15th 2009
« on: October 15, 2009, 10:05:29 AM »

After fishing the flood tide for 45 minutes last night where I had 6 takes that resulted in 4 coho jacks hooked and 2 landed I decided to hit the out going tide at first light. There was 5 of us there for the early bite and the changes were non stop for the first bit. Most must have been coho jacks as I landed 2 clipped ones that I released. I must have had a couple of dozen chances but the hook up ratio was poor although a few were on for a few seconds. Chad also was having good success with the jacks and all the bites we were having kept us interested thinking the adults should be there too.Time for a visit to Cookies with Chad and may stop later and see if the bite comes on again.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
Re: Chilliwack River, October 15th 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 10:30:24 AM »

Right on, Chris - thanks for the report!

I'll be on the Fraser most of the day tomorrow.
Thinking about swinging by the Vedder tomorrow afternoon if the rain that is forecast doesn't turn it into chocolate milk.
:D
Tex

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 01:34:06 PM »

sounds like fun chris. i wish lived closer!  :'( :'( :'(  I will try and make it out again sometime this weekend.
No journal for the other day? ;)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »

No journal for the other day? ;)

He said you were going to make the report, rhino... inside joke?? 

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 02:12:48 PM »

Right on, Chris - thanks for the report!

I'll be on the Fraser most of the day tomorrow.
Thinking about swinging by the Vedder tomorrow afternoon if the rain that is forecast doesn't turn it into chocolate milk.
Tex

do it, water is in great shape ;D

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 03:53:41 PM »

After fishing the flood tide for 45 minutes last night where I had 6 takes that resulted in 4 coho jacks hooked and 2 landed I decided to hit the out going tide at first light. There was 5 of us there for the early bite and the changes were non stop for the first bit. Most must have been coho jacks as I landed 2 clipped ones that I released. I must have had a couple of dozen chances but the hook up ratio was poor although a few were on for a few seconds. Chad also was having good success with the jacks and all the bites we were having kept us interested thinking the adults should be there too.Time for a visit to Cookies with Chad and may stop later and see if the bite comes on again.

Where is Cookies? It sounds like the place to be when the fishing is not what we hoped it would be.
It ain't the roe bro'

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 03:55:27 PM »

do it, water is in great shape ;D
Thanks for the heads up, hue-nut.  A client wants to show me some canal flyfishing techniques he likes, but I wouldn't mind checking out the mid river as well...  gonna be taking a New Zealander buddy fishing on the Vedder next week and wouldn't mind doing some scouting.  Might not have a chance though if I'm fishing the canal.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 04:17:49 PM »

He said you were going to make the report, rhino... inside joke?? 
Quote from: chris gadsden on October 13, 2009, 11:51:33 PM
Was out with rhino today and he is supposed to write The Journal..  I kept a bright chinook jack that was red as the ones we take on the Thompson, a pleasant surprise.

nice fishing with you Chris! Got to learn a few thing too which was great! You are a very athletic young man Chris. The river almost took me a few times and you seemed to have no issues.As far as the journal goes i don't believe that i can do the fine people on this forum justice with my skills( i have a grade 10 education  ) your journals are far more exciting and of better quality then anyhing I can produce. Also, i landed and released only one pink that day and you took home the prize which you kindly offered to me but my stubbornness wouldn't allow me to take it. After you left the bite stopped.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 08:16:52 PM »

Where is Cookies? It sounds like the place to be when the fishing is not what we hoped it would be.
On Yale Road West just East of Lickman Road next to MY Storage. You can find a map of the location through Telus phone book on your computer.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »

Back to the Sassy Run this evening and a number of members from the forum were there as well. The bite was not on like this morning or last night, I missed a couple and lost what I believe was a chinook jack. Rodney has  a story to tell though. ;D

Good to meet gman earlier today as well as Norm who had some success.

Tomorrow will once again see plenty of action but will one of the many pull downs result in a coho? We will keep you posted.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:28:42 PM by chris gadsden »

gman

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 08:39:59 PM »

Nice to meet you too Chris. I landed a number of chums and sent them back on their way, and retained a nice Chinook jack that turned out to be a red.   

I missed quite a few today, and also had a lot that were on for a few seconds before popping off. Maybe this was because they were coho jacks or maybe my technique needs improvement.  ::)

Looking forward to Rodneys storey.  :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 01:02:58 AM »

I had a sportfishing advisory committee meeting tonight in Chilliwack so I thought that it maybe a good idea to fish for a couple of hours before it to catch that last light bite.

I got there, bumped into Chris who was off to his nap at home (must be so nice to live by the river :P ). Chatted with Lew who was out for the first time this season. Chatted with Sassyboy too who was fishing where we were fishing yesterday. Chatted with lucky who couldn't believe that he didn't get anything today. ;D Chatted with gman who was trying to get some fishing in before rushing back to Richmond to do his father duties. ;D After all that chatting, I managed to do some casts. ;D I decided to leave the roe gear at home because I didn't want to smell at the meeting. I brought the Fenwick spinning rod (not the one that gman is always interested in ;) ). It's rated 8 to 15lb test. I had a spinning reel with 8lb test on it. I wanted to cast spoons and spinners to see if some of those coho or jacks would follow after seeing roe all day.

Not a whole lot happening except lots of chums rolling around. At 6pm, I had a tap right after I casted out this tiny green spinner that I always use for pikeminnow and bull trout in the Tidal Fraser. I set the hook and I could feel the heavy head shake at the other end. It actually came toward me pretty fast so I thought it was a fish at a fairly manageable size. When it showed itself, I was slightly shocked by its size. It went straight back out to where it was hooked and stayed there for a long time, then it went downstream and held its ground. I did not have much expectation on landing this fish. The line already had a nick on it before I casted out, so I thought perhaps it would snap anytime. After awhile it actually started cooperating and came upstream again. I decided to play it safely and with Lew watching on I managed to guide it into the shallow. The whole time I thought that I was the one being towed, not the one towing, because this fish could have taken off madly if it wanted to.

At first I said to Lew, 20lb? When it got closer, I said, 25lb? By the time I landed it, I thought perhaps it was close to 30lb, if not over. :-\ Lew took a few photos before we sent it back. I doubt that I would ever keep something this big, I wouldn't know what to do with it in the kitchen. :o

Now I gotta wash my jacket to get rid of that awful smell... :D

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 04:39:10 AM »

Hard to say for sure, Rodney - cause like me, you're not a big guy - but that's a pig of a Chinook.  The size of the head and wrist of the tail would tell me it's over 30... maybe pushing 35!  Beauty fish!

Tex - loves to see that tiny spinner hanging out of the corner of the spring's mouth

Lew Chater

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 07:50:22 AM »

You were sure the King Fish yesterday Rodney. That fish could have left for Mission at any time and you kept him in there with that small rod and 8 lb line. I'm amazed that the line held as you showed me the "nick" in the line after letting that huge fish go.

Well done and a fishing adventure to remember.  Many of us have caught those big whites but not on a light rod and 8lb test like that. Glad I was there to see it.
 Only had one chum lost and a jack coho lost myself, but enjoyed getting out again.
Thanks to Chris who gave me the phone call to get me going.
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

Frankey

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 07:59:05 AM »

Good job! Glad to hear it was let go!