Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Mainland, October 17th 2009: At the little $%@# river... holy rain!!  (Read 2562 times)

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged

Went down to the smallest river on the lower mainland today near white rock with my Brother. Have seen an unusual amount of fish jumping out in the chuck in the past couple weeks so thought I would give it a try for the first time in years. Small snaggy river thats very difficult to fish but the fish are definately there. Lots of small coho heading up with the recent rain, mostly 3-5 pounders but we did see a couple 10's swimming by.
My brother hooked into a small hatchery 5 minutes after we arrived (drifting roe) but that was it for the day. Rained like a Bastard on us, until we hiked back to the truck of course, then the sun came out. Heavy rain made the water real murky and put the fish on the move, got worse as the day went on and I think really affected the fishing. With better conditions I think we could do pretty well down there. We'll try again tommorrow I think.
  Nothing but bullheads for me :-\ I should figure out a way to eat those things :D
As soon as I can afford to go fishing everyday, it's time to retire.

scouterjames

• Old Timer

Where do you go in that river?  email me if you wouldn't mind?  I moved to Langley a couple years ago but have NO IDEA where i can fish around here that's close that I could bring my son to easily - sounds like maybe whereever you were might be worth a visit??
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Camman

pleases don't forget about small rivers cant handle a lot of pressure...... But what a fun river, water was pretty high and flowing to fast for me today.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome

Email me and I will answer your questions but please keep it off the sites as I have seen a massive increase in anglers on the river this year.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Trophy Fisher

There is a small team of people that have made it their mission to help protect and rehabilitate the trio of small salmon producing rivers in Cloverdale. These people will not stop you from fishing, in fact many are avid fishers themselves but they do need help in their fight for the protection of these rivers. This small team cleans up garbage, puts up signs at fishing boundaries and will advise you of the regs if you need some advice. I have met a few of the people that are trying to bring these small systems back to life and they believe that the salmon populations are coming back bit by bit but they are still no where near what they were 20 years ago. The last gentlemen that I talked to said that the one small tributary that he has taken under his wing had almost no coho 4-5 years ago and now with some help from his friends the creek has started to show signs of life again. If anyone decides to go down and try out this fragile fishery, please remember these small rivers can't handle a lot of pressure. So do your part and pack out what you pack in and please take out any garbage that you find that was left by others. It would be much appreciated :) :) :)

HOOK

• Old Timer

what i dont understand about these small river is why they allow a small retention at all if they are trying to bring back the run of fish.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

what i dont understand about these small river is why they allow a small retention at all if they are trying to bring back the run of fish.

Guess the numbers are strong enough to allow a retention.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

scouterjames

• Old Timer

There is a small team of people that have made it their mission to help protect and rehabilitate the trio of small salmon producing rivers in Cloverdale. These people will not stop you from fishing, in fact many are avid fishers themselves but they do need help in their fight for the protection of these rivers. This small team cleans up garbage, puts up signs at fishing boundaries and will advise you of the regs if you need some advice. I have met a few of the people that are trying to bring these small systems back to life and they believe that the salmon populations are coming back bit by bit but they are still no where near what they were 20 years ago. The last gentlemen that I talked to said that the one small tributary that he has taken under his wing had almost no coho 4-5 years ago and now with some help from his friends the creek has started to show signs of life again. If anyone decides to go down and try out this fragile fishery, please remember these small rivers can't handle a lot of pressure. So do your part and pack out what you pack in and please take out any garbage that you find that was left by others. It would be much appreciated :) :) :)

I'm going to go do a cleanup-scout trip in the next couple of days before I bring a rod (or a kid!).
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

HOOK

• Old Timer

thats a good point Bryan unless you go take a look at the numbers they actually get  :( I think the small systems could use with a retention close for a couple cycles at least and see what happens. Wouldnt it be awesome if the fish recovered in a big way  :o I doubt it would happen but ya never know.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

thats a good point Bryan unless you go take a look at the numbers they actually get  :( I think the small systems could use with a retention close for a couple cycles at least and see what happens. Wouldnt it be awesome if the fish recovered in a big way  :o I doubt it would happen but ya never know.

You must know them than so post them up. I have fished that river several times over the years and have had several good days for springs and coho. I have not researched the numbers but I assumed its big enough for the small limit you are allowed. If the river gets a thousand fish back a retention limit of 1 per day is not a big deal especially considering the lack of access to the river which prevents the masses from trying it out. It allows for a limit of 1 spring until the end of September and than 1 coho from Oct 1-Dec31st. How many people are going to go and try and catch one fish? The limit is a good one for locals as people from 50-75kms away looking to fill their freezers will avoid these places and fish the big rivers with bigger possession limits.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Re: Lower Mainland, October 17th 2009: At the little $%@# river... holy rain!!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 07:21:41 PM »

Some years there are decent returns, poor in other years.  This marks the 20th year that kids in my class will be putting coho fry into that system that we've raised in the classroom.  Without a doubt it is my favourite field trip of the year. Our principal joined us last year and said what an unbelievable educational experience it was for him and the students.  Bob Oswald does a fantastic job as a volunteer for that system and with the guided tours.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
Re: Lower Mainland, October 17th 2009: At the little $%@# river... holy rain!!
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 08:49:59 PM »

You must know them than so post them up. I have fished that river several times over the years and have had several good days for springs and coho. I have not researched the numbers but I assumed its big enough for the small limit you are allowed. If the river gets a thousand fish back a retention limit of 1 per day is not a big deal especially considering the lack of access to the river which prevents the masses from trying it out. It allows for a limit of 1 spring until the end of September and than 1 coho from Oct 1-Dec31st. How many people are going to go and try and catch one fish? The limit is a good one for locals as people from 50-75kms away looking to fill their freezers will avoid these places and fish the big rivers with bigger possession limits.
Couldn't have said it any better. The river averages 1000 to 1200 coho consistantly and 70 percent are wild. The hatchery is what keeps this stream going. Taking a fish that is hatchery out of this river is not a big deal as thats what there for. The pressure has been higher which is sad but as long as regs are practiced nothing you can do. I believe it's the number of new people moving to the area and just trying it out. I think the river should be made catch and release but at this point the numbers haven't dropped for a while so as long as they don't thats all that matters. We try to do are part for the river. Garbage clean up ect as I don't see eye to eye with a few of the guys at the hatchery but I admire them for puting the time in :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'