Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River, October 18th 2009  (Read 3788 times)

Preliator

Stave River, October 18th 2009
« on: October 18, 2009, 01:52:45 PM »

This was my first attempt at BC salmon fishing. Got there early, and manage to bring in 4 Chum, while losing another 6 or so, all in 3 hours. All released. I was warned that I may lose a lot of gear being as it was my first time, and there was so many fish that I was told I'd likely foul hook a number of them - I lost nothing, and none of the 4 were foul hooked. Two were caught about 3/4 up the river, and another 2 down lower when I had to sacrafise my spot to meet a friend who showed up late  >:(

When me and buddy were leaving to get some breakfast, I walked up the bank past a couple of guys with Spey Rods. They were scouting the area, and I said to them "There's some room now!" He then said to me, "good, get you baitcasters out of here!" I'm not sure what he meant, but I know it was a dig.  :-\

All in all, very good outing for myself, and I look forward to conquoring more of BCs beautiful rivers.

Trophy Fisher

Re: Stave River, October 18th 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 01:59:03 PM »

Some people think that how they fish is the only proper way to fish and can be a jack a$$ but that guy may have just been trying to make a joke.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 05:31:15 PM »

Is Stave busy?
Judging by your "sacrifice" it must be?

Preliator

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 05:37:57 PM »

I suppose he was, but I was just caught off-guard by it so I wasn't sure how to react.

Very busy, adriaticum. Shoulder to shoulder in the main drags. (I love having people cast over my line time and time again.) Obviously the further down the more the spots open up, so it's not impossible to find a spot if you were willing to work for it. I'm not sure how busy it was down around the mouth though, I was only around the damn.

Nitroholic

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 09:03:06 PM »

I killed it today on purple and pink jigs  ;D

bluenoser

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 10:17:17 AM »

Caught a few floating a purple jig but didn't keep any....all males.

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 12:40:51 PM »

Caught a few floating a purple jig but didn't keep any....all males.

That's the way it's been for me this year too. Last year, it was probably a 10 to 1 ratio of females to males, this year it seems to be the other way around (on the jigs anyway)

CohoOn!

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 09:09:09 PM »

Just want make sure I'm understanding this correctly...your drifting a wieghted jig head under a float into stacked up fish and you "killed it". And they're just swallowing that jig?
Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

Nitroholic

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 09:24:59 PM »

Just want make sure I'm understanding this correctly...your drifting a wieghted jig head under a float into stacked up fish and you "killed it". And they're just swallowing that jig?

yes, short floated a bent rod jig and everyone I caught was in the mouth, unlike 95% of the fishermen there bringing in fish sideways  ::)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 09:37:27 PM »

CohoOn you short float the jig ABOVE the fishes heads so they must move upwards to attack it. this is why the majority will be in the mouth. If you fish at the same level or below the fish you will just snag fins most of the time especially with Chum because they are big and not hook shy at all
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 08:17:15 AM »

There was a fishing show with some guide ( can't remember his name) using that technique with a float, pencil lead and pink jig. He was on the Fraser somewhere and they were hauling them in, and not by snagging. Going to give that a try sometime.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 01:20:02 PM »

Jigs have just been dynamite for me this year.   I started using those with pinks on the Campbell river this year and I haven't been able to give up on them since.

After losing some good jigs on chum and snags, I have found the cheap 1/8 ounce jig heads from Army and Navy work great - the ones they sell in packs of about 8 with no feathers, just the jig head and hook.  Tying on a bit of pink or purple wool to those with a bit of spider threat works  just as well as the expensive steelhead jigs that come in at about $2.50 each.  They have been hammering them short floated no more than 3 feet down in some of the deeper sections.

...just a head up for those of you who have been losing lots of fancy jigs on those big chums that are not particularly picky :).

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 12:05:51 AM »

I had my first encounter with chums there today. ;D in california ive only really caught springs and steelhead before it was a pleasant suprise to feel how strong those chum were.i kept one that to the best of my knowledge was rather clean.Now im actually curious what you guys would call a "clean" chum.From what i understand they lose the silver quickly so what is the point when they are best left alone? For what its worth im smoking it LOL .Thanks
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 12:19:23 AM »

I wouldnt keep darker than the second one down. Their meat is not the best to start with. Great scrappers though.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/chum/graphics/chum_colors.jpg

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 07:07:02 AM »

I had my first encounter with chums there today. ;D in california ive only really caught springs and steelhead before it was a pleasant suprise to feel how strong those chum were.i kept one that to the best of my knowledge was rather clean.Now im actually curious what you guys would call a "clean" chum.From what i understand they lose the silver quickly so what is the point when they are best left alone? For what its worth im smoking it LOL .Thanks

This discussion in the fish kitchen section might be helpful too.  [Milo has some good thoughts on this I think]

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22377.0
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 07:09:05 AM by fishseeker »