Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River, October 18th 2009  (Read 1914 times)

mr.p

Capilano River, October 18th 2009
« on: October 19, 2009, 12:18:27 AM »

Fished the cap from firstlight till about noon.  Water was raging, anywhere between a 6-8 on the marker.   Visibility was good.  It was busy...very busy for the cap.

Flashlighted my way into one of my usual spots.  There were a couple gentlemen already there when I arrived.  IMO, Water was too high and fast to safely fish.  Tried a couple other spots, same story.  Decided to head down river.  Found a decent run that was off to the side of some rapids.  Managed to hook a very nice coho which I battled for about a minute before loosing.  Also had a chum on for about 3 minutes before the hook on my colorado straightened out.  As soon as the fish would make it into the rapids it was game over.  Even the coho, which was at best 6 or 7lbs took me for a ride.  Saw around 15 fish hooked by other anglers, 4 coho to the beach.  Checked the hatchery and almost no fish there.  Saw a few springs and a few coho.  But I definately was expecting to see the tanks filled with fish.

The river is high and fast.  Crazy high and fast!  Borderline scray in certain spots.  I was shocked at the risks some anglers were willing to take at a chance to catch fish.  I saw at least 10 fisherman standing on steep inclines within inches of their lives.  After seeing the river in person today, I can positively say that chances of survival if you fall in are about 1-2%.

Here are some pics of the upper:

cable bridge, up

cable bridge, down

cable pool, down

cable pool, up

dog leg

dog leg

dog leg
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Capilano River, October 18th 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 12:20:39 AM »

Good grief... Darwin's theory at work.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 12:28:40 AM »

crazy yahoos! :o

jon5hill

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:43:27 AM »

Probably not such a good idea to fish a blown river. The water is insane right now.. there must be a lot of fish in the system.

Obi Wan

• Fins & Skins... Ya Baby!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 01:57:39 AM »

I was there Sat morning. The river was high, but not like the pics. I was fishing with a life jacket overcoat. I know even that is not a guarentee if I fall in. Wise to know your limits there.
I did see a couple of kayakers to, so you know it was high, not Nuts.
Caught a couple of Stinky Springs & 6 oversized cut plugs. All let go to swm another day.
I'm surprised there wasn't Cohos in the tanks. I was there 3 weeks ago & it was filled. I guess they're being processed.
May the fish be with you!

hotrod

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 06:46:45 AM »

By the end of the day the river had dropped three feet, Should make things a lot easier!

Hotrod
all rights reserved

fishfinder

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 07:14:37 AM »

Several years back in similar river levels at the Cable Pool we saw a guy fall in trying to land a fish. Luckily for him he was in a back eddy and was just inches from being swept away when his buddy pulled him in. I couldn't believe what some people would do for a 3 lb coho, and a it was a dark one at that. Chance of survival would have been nil.

Preliator

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 08:23:43 PM »

It's amazing to see how much a river can change. I've never seen it like that before, it's crazy. I'd like to see it in person - but from afar, heh.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 09:43:46 PM »

it just carves the pools deeper, and makes the lower shallower so the fish cant make it up it at all in low water. even in super low water the canyon tailouts are still 1.5-4ft deep
Fish killer 101

drh

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 08:18:21 PM »

Those are some good pictures of a beautiful flow mr.p.I used to love fishin dog-leg and 3 rock quite a bit in the 90's, I remember bringing home a limit of smallish cohos one eve and seeing OJ on the news being chased by a mass of cops doing 10 mile an hour. ::)
It's funny the things you remember that remind you of a particuler time or place or fishing spot for that matter