Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centrepin Reels  (Read 2087 times)

ICA

Centrepin Reels
« on: October 22, 2009, 02:02:37 PM »

Fellas

I am new to centrepinning and wondering if the reels are non-directional. The tackle store had filled the reel for a right hand reeling but since I prefer to reel with my left hand, can I simply rewind the line to reverse the direction? My reel is an Islander. Thanks!

glx

• I'm a llama!
Re: Centrepin Reels
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 06:50:02 PM »

Just change it over, you will notice on the Islander the clicker will sing a slightly different tune but it wont make a difference. 

Brian

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 10:12:41 AM »

Yes just strip the line off and respool.  It helps if you keep the tail of the line tied to something like a doorknob so it doesn't tangle as easily.  Just lay big coils or loops on the floor.

I fish with an Islander.  And I had to swap it from left hand retrieve to right hand haha.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 10:18:34 AM »

I would go back to the place that did it. way easier to use the machine to reverse the line. you can get major tangles by just laying loops on the floor, trust me on this i have done it once and will never do it again. unless its fly line LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 04:54:07 PM »

If you want to respool, just use an old empty line holder and stick a thick pen through it so it is tight, chuck it up in your variable speed electric drill and wind the line off the reel, then rewind the direction you want.  I have done this many times and it is quite easy, just be sure if you use a fly line spool to put a bolt through it to stop it from separating as this sucks trust me.