Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River, October 25th 2009  (Read 1922 times)

tumbleweed

Stave River, October 25th 2009
« on: October 25, 2009, 03:01:35 PM »

Went out early this morning and landed lots of chum. Managed to stay away from the crowds until the water started coming up. The water comes up fast and if we would have waited another half hour, we would have been trapped on a island so be careful. We were using bent rods jigs and they were very effective. Lots of people fishing when we left hard to find any free space.  Did not see any snaggers today where we were so that was nice! ;D

Preliator

Re: Stave River, October 25th 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 05:38:13 PM »

I stopped by the Stave on my way back from the Chehalis. Before getting my gear ready I stepped down to the river just to have a look.

I watched an elderly man bring in a Chum that was snagged on his back. What followed made me sick: he stepped on the Chum's head so that he could remove the hook, instead of holding it with his hands. After the hook was removed, he then kicked the fish back into the river. I noticed that his size 4 hook was baitless, and waited for him to bait it before casting - he never did, and casted a couple more times before I told him that his actions were going to warrent a report once I got back to the phone in my car. That was my first call I've had to make. First time I witnessed something like that, too. What made it worse is there was a young boy, probbly around 10 or 12 fishing a couple yards away.  :-\

yakideath12

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 06:02:59 PM »

I stopped by the Stave on my way back from the Chehalis. Before getting my gear ready I stepped down to the river just to have a look.

I watched an elderly man bring in a Chum that was snagged on his back. What followed made me sick: he stepped on the Chum's head so that he could remove the hook, instead of holding it with his hands. After the hook was removed, he then kicked the fish back into the river. I noticed that his size 4 hook was baitless, and waited for him to bait it before casting - he never did, and casted a couple more times before I told him that his actions were going to warrent a report once I got back to the phone in my car. That was my first call I've had to make. First time I witnessed something like that, too. What made it worse is there was a young boy, probbly around 10 or 12 fishing a couple yards away.  :-\

they dont care what they do. They learned it that way. Its better than cut the belly, take all the roe out alive and kick it back to water.  They did it more than 6 female fish.

Also, the day DFO ( i believe it was DFO) put the boundary sign on , after that they just looked around, left there. At least they should check licence each side of the river. At that day, I moved to the other side of the river, I was fishing with a jig, A family(Grandparets etc) came, they killed more than 10 fish within an hour, they still asked me to give them fish while i only catch and release.Even though I explained them only two fish with licence that is with salmon stamp on, they dont understand or care about what i was saying. They were just so proud of keeping zombies.

Preliator

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 06:08:50 PM »

It's terrible. Knowing that there isn't much you can do, it almost makes me want to avoid Stave from now on. I don't want to have to witness that, even though I know it's going to keep happening. Maybe I'll be a little more blunt, and push the offender in the river next time? heh

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 06:40:09 PM »

I was on the west side today and from what i saw I thought everyone in my sight were pretty well mannered !
even the bottom bouncer were releasing the snag 1's .
Buddy also landed a hatch coho !!! lots rollin coho's today ! ;D
lotsa chum landed on purple jigs !!!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 07:01:04 PM »

These are some of the reasons I choose not to fish the Stave.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 09:19:36 PM »

a visit to the stave yesterday made my decision on how i will never fish that river again for salmon. just utterly disgusting relating to the antics people choose to display there. never thought half the things I saw were even possible :-X

prairiefire

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 09:27:15 PM »

I was fishing with RJS today. I'm his buddy who landed a chrome 10lb hatchery doe. It hammered my presentation. I took it on a purple jig...meant for the chums. It's my first Coho ever. It was in the mouth BTW. ;D

"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 09:33:34 PM »

a visit to the stave yesterday made my decision on how i will never fish that river again for salmon. just utterly disgusting relating to the antics people choose to display there. never thought half the things I saw were even possible :-X

like what? people doing it with mouldy chums? :o that is so disgusting >:( haha

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 09:35:14 PM »

I was fishing with RJS today. I'm his buddy who landed a chrome 10lb hatchery doe. It hammered my presentation. I took it on a purple jig...meant for the chums. It's my first Coho ever. It was in the mouth BTW. ;D

musta been a great surprise, on a jig too, i'd love to get  a ho on a jig one of these days.

prairiefire

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 09:42:09 PM »

It sure was a surprise. I feel like Christmas came early for me. :D
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 10:23:58 PM »

Sure you didnt pick it up off the beach  ;D
It's missing an eye  :D
Nice fish!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 10:24:58 PM »

Maybe a bird pecked it out. :P

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 12:09:22 AM »

then there are the few occasional ones that lose their eye balls when they get hit over the head with a massive boulder. :D
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

hookme

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 01:30:44 AM »

Rjs and Preiriefire I think I saw you guys move in beside me around 11am in the morning with purple jigs did you guys catch the ho on that same spot west of the toilet bowl?
I fish first light  first time I saw people fly fishing around 6:30 am on the bowl catching ho jack's interesting seen. try to fish with roe and wool lot of snag switch to blade BANG!!
mouth after mouth. try to convince one bottom bouncer to try it, but most OLD DOG  doesn't change  ???