Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, November 5th 2009  (Read 3343 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, November 5th 2009
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 06:41:26 PM »

Then try the roe.  ;)  ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 07:02:53 PM »

I found roe to not do that great this year for coho.
In fact I only got 3 this year on gear (granted I only fished gear for a total of 4 days this year in september/october).
All 3 were on the Vedder River when I came home from the Island, one was on roe other 2 were on Colorados.
A guy across from me one morning hooked 6 on spoons in a backwash so I would say hardware was working the best.
Also saw a number taken on small egg sized wool ties short floated, and hits were very light.
I sight fished 2 of my coho and neither one of them moved the float on the hit.

On the Island I fished gear for 3 days and didnt hit a single one.
Switched to the fly and in 2 days (6 hours fishing) I hooked 14. Once you find what is working on the particular river you are set to go.
My personal fav is still the fly, then colorados/spoons, and then roe. May be a confidence thing but I only get like 2 coho a year on roe and alot more on other methods.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 08:24:49 PM »

My personal fav is still the fly, then colorados/spoons, and then roe. May be a confidence thing but I only get like 2 coho a year on roe and alot more on other methods.

Agreed 100%!
Much more chance to reach the coho using flies and metal.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 08:31:33 PM »

My personal best for coho was 8 fish in 3hrs... on a rolled muddler.  Probably would have kept hatching them, but my muddler broke off.  I had no more muddlers as I was targeting bull trout and just happened to have a muddler in the box.  Never had a day anything like it on gear.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 08:47:29 PM »

My personal best for coho was 8 fish in 3hrs... on a rolled muddler.  Probably would have kept hatching them, but my muddler broke off.  I had no more muddlers as I was targeting bull trout and just happened to have a muddler in the box.  Never had a day anything like it on gear.

Wondering if that muddler happened to be blue... ;)

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 08:48:22 PM »

time of day usually makes a big difference. first bite just before sunrise ....its cold and a bit dark but the fish are greedy for roe.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 09:32:41 PM »

time of day usually makes a big difference. first bite just before sunrise ....its cold and a bit dark but the fish are greedy for roe.

Every fish I caught either back at home or out here were mostly between 12 pm and 4 pm.
6 of those coho out of the 14 were on my Christmas tree variation (sweet looking fly in the water) and all others were on mickey finn variations and green/yellow muddlers.