Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vancouver Island, November 8th 2009  (Read 2196 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Vancouver Island, November 8th 2009
« on: November 08, 2009, 11:36:23 PM »

Yesterday I was very dissapointed to get down to the river I wanted to fish to see is around 3 feet higher than when I was there last with Rhino. It was flowing very high and fast and only had around 3 feet of visibility, I still tried fishing but to no avail. So last night I decided to come up with a backup plan for Sunday. I put a star on a bunch of places, found out distances and was ready for today.

I checked the graph this morning to see the river had dropped 8 inches. I get there and the graph reading was confirmed, and the water was ALOT nicer with about 5 feet of visibility and ALOT more places to fly fish. I start off in an unusual spot as I see a coho roll there right away, but after 30 mins of trying I decide to head down to my favourite run.

I get down there and about 5 casts in I get a solid hit, short strike. I think it was a cutty but I will never be sure. I get halfway down the run and I finally get a solid hit. Before this I had also caught 2 branches that felt the same but this time there were headshakes and a big run. About 30 seconds later I am surprised to see what the fish looks like. It still put up a great fight but I would have liked to see a chromer anyways  ;D

I keep fishing the run and try to get to the area me and Rhino fished just last Tuesday. Impossible to reach as I could barley cross the tailout. Places that were islands last Tuesday were now knee deep and fast. I am hoping that by Wednesday the river will be back to normal as the freezing level keep dropping.  It is now close to 2 and after 3 hours of fishing with only 1 result I decide to go check out some new areas.

I decide to first check out a suspension bridge that I was interested in. Once I get there I take my waders off as I think it will only be a good hike. Boy was I wrong, I get there and there are some amazing runs with no one around. All I managed to see however were a couple bear tracks and a dead chum. May go back on Tuesday and give it a try with flesh patterns for trout or maybe try for some coho.

After this I decide to take the long drive to Englishman River Falls. I get there and find out it’s pay parking, thankfully I have 2 dollars in change in my ash tray. I first stop at the upper falls, quite impressive. It dumps into a very narrow gorge, amazing to think all that water come out of a little slot in the cliff not 10 feet wide just below the waterfall (wonder how deep it is).

After this I hike down to the lower fall. Just below the lower fall (which isn’t even really a waterfall right now anyways with low water) there is a huge pool. I see a couple coho rising in there and even see some milling around down in the tailout, a few look to be in good shape as well.  I take a look around, of course its closed to fishing (sign posted on a tree).

I decide to take a small 30 min hike up above the upper falls. I start to wonder if there would be any fish above that impressive drop as there are some very nice looking runs up here. The trail is very nice and the scenery is beautiful. After this I go back to my car and stop at a Timmies for dinner to finish off a pretty cool day.

I’m thinking the coho are almost done out here.  Its amazing that less than 2 weeks ago it was chromers none stop and now all I have seen are tomatos. Tuesday I only have 1 class early morning and Wednesday off so I will probably hit this river on one of those days and maybe try out the Cowichan one day as well. After that no fishing till I’m back home late December, time to get into the books so I pass all my classes.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:11:22 AM by Every Day »

Sabre

• Bite Me
Re: Vancouver Island, November 8th 2009
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 08:00:59 AM »

Every Day. great photos and nice report ...thanks for sharing :)

wagz

• Can"t get enough!!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 08:34:52 AM »

Great pics!  ... Thank you!

one more cast

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 10:55:05 AM »

Great report and pics...no keepers but it sounds like you had a great experience and found some nice water to fish in the future.
Thanks for some nice pics of the flows in your area...very cool.

-Steve

bluenoser

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 11:32:35 AM »

I can see why you won best winter picture on another site...in the picture of the bear print I was impressed with the waders you use this late in the year...

koko

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 12:52:04 PM »

I really hated you guys that fish on the island ;D, thanks for sharing.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 04:28:27 PM »

Thanks for sharing your report. Looks like we have another journal going besides Chris' but for the Island.  ;)

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 05:34:43 PM »

I can see why you won best winter picture on another site...in the picture of the bear print I was impressed with the waders you use this late in the year...

Lol I took my waders off, although I have only been wearing shorts under my breathables so it feels the same  ;D

Glad you guys enjoyed.
Many (like my friend who asked me how many I caught as soon as I got back) would consider this trip a bust or a waste of gas but I very much enjoyed it. Exploring new areas and taking pictures is just as much fun for me as fighting a fish.

Might go out tomorrow to another new river... Might have to do some research tonight.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 10:44:50 PM »

Hey Everyday -
I get one or two chances to head over to the island and stay with my family - either in Nanaimo or Port. Any chance you could tell me if this coho bearing river is close to, or between those two places? Or is that too much info to spill?

thanks
Vince
You don't make friends with salad.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 11:40:16 PM »

I now live in Nanaimo (for the next 4 years).
Give me a shout if you are ever here and we will hit up some rivers (maybe some beaches if I expand a little), always up for meeting new fisherpeople  ;D

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 06:22:12 AM »

My jealousy runs deep ED nice report again, speaking of meeting up I am going to be on the Island for steel around the Olympic period (Feb 2010) if you are down for a fish ;)
always a student

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 05:36:22 PM »

That would be sweet Dereke  ;D
Let me know when you are coming, I think you already have my email.
I would like to get a Steel on my fly rod this year maybe, have to see what kinda Steelhead flows are around here.

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 08:50:14 AM »

Every Day those are some amazing pictures, it seems like you picked the perfect spot to go to school if you are able to hit up that river. Gook luck with your classes

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »

Nice photos and report thanks for sharing your adventure!