Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish River, November 11th 2009  (Read 4375 times)

bigsnag

• Old Timer
Squamish River, November 11th 2009
« on: November 11, 2009, 11:43:11 PM »

Decided to make the trip to Squamish to get away from the maddening crowds that have decended on the North side. It turned out to be a gorgeous day, very unexpected as the weather report was calling for mixed precipitation and temps of just 3 C. The tides were favourable for the afternoon as the high tide was at 1pm ish. The drive up was easy and scenic, the mountains were covered with a fresh coat of snow that extended down to the top third of the local mountains. Took my time to enjoy the drive with 3-4 sightings of highway patrol cars made any thoughts of driving much over the posted speed limiit a no brainer.
Got out to the river around 9:30 and water conditions were near perfect. Visibility was 98% clear to the bottom, the water had a tinge of colour and the water level was a hair on the high side but very fishable. But to my dismay as I looked up and down the shore line I could see an unusual amount of rods for the non retention status that I had last known. Later I found out that it was changed to a 1 Chum retention status below the power llines. Hence the crowded conditions, crowded for the Squamish I mean. There was a fairly even balance of flyfishers to drift fishers today. As I took a few minutes to read the water as it revealed the river's bottom structure I saw three chums show thermselves as they moved upstream. My confidence level just jumped up 10 notches as I now know that fish are there and their travel route upstream was exposed.   I saw a couple of seals bob up ther heads as they worked the river, another good sign.

I chose a spot to fish above another flyfisher and as I moved into position a couple of guys below me hooked up.  For the next couple of hours fish sightings and hook ups were sporadic. It wasn't until the tide began to go out that the action really started to heat up. When the river offered up a clear pane of view I could see one fish then groups of them swim past me. I saw more fish rise and hook ups began to increase for all. The Chums came through in small waves of chromers,slightly coloured and full spawning bars and stripes. For me the hook ups came at a steady pace, not the one hook up ever third or fourth cast , just enough to keep it interesting. By the time it came to call it a day ,4:30 ,the action had slowed conciderably. For the day I was into well over doubled digit hook ups with two thirds of them landed.
Allmost all were covered with fresh sea lice, the Squamish Chums trade mark.
It was a great day on the river.
It ain't the roe bro'

ICA

Re: Squamish River, November 11th 2009
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 08:35:07 AM »

Hi "Bigsnag"
Enjoyed your report and well written. I have never fished the Squamish river even though business takes me up to Whistler at times and often tempted to bring along my fishing gears and stop for some fishing on the way home. Can you share with me the location because I really don't want to fish at the wrong place and get fined. Where is this powerline you speak of and how do i get there? Any assistance from you would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly in advance. If you prefer to reply to my private email, that is fine too. Thanks again.

ICA

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 09:19:22 AM »

You can find what you need to know here.  http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.htm

all it says is

upstream of the boundary signs at the powerline crossing approx. 1.5 km upstream of the confluence with the Cheakamus River

which isn't exactly a street location which is how most people who do not fish in area go by.

so it's not so illuminating for non locals if you see what I mean. what is needed really is a google map link or street addresses with mileage or direction cues so you can pick up a map and figure it out.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=squamish+river&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=50.098287,48.867188&ie=UTF8&hq=Squamish+River&hnear=Squamish+River,+Squamish,+BC&ll=49.781929,-123.178368&spn=0.097319,0.095444&z=13

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:21:20 AM by dennisK »

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:10:21 PM »

Thanks for the report bigsnag.  The only thing is I am not clear why people think there is a 1 chum retention limit anywhere on the Squamish system - the only retention appears to be 1 hatchery Coho per day.  On that link fishforever posted, there is nothing in the wording to indicate a 1 chum limit and it was the same when I went out there last weekend.

Maybe I am just mis-reading something but thats the way it looks on both the Squamish and the Mamquam.  Somebody please correct me if I am wrong (I don't plan on keeping any Chums, just hate being confused  ???)

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 01:45:17 PM »

There is ZERO retention  of chum on the Cheakamus and Mamquam rivers. The opening is for only the mainstem of the Squamish.

Here it is:

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0923-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Region 2 - Squamish River Chum Retention Opportunity

Returns of chum salmon to the Squamish River in 2009 are sufficient to provide
a retention opportunity on the Squamish River.

Effective 00:01 hours November 11, 2009 until 23:59 hours November 29, 2009 in
the mainstem of the Squamish River downstream of the powerline crossing located
approximately one and a half (1.5) kilometres upstream of the Cheakamus River
you may retain:

- one (1) chum per day.

You may also retain one (1) hatchery marked coho per day on the mainstem
Squamish River downstream of the powerline crossing until December 31, 2009.

The Cheakamus River and Mamquam River as well as all tributaries to the
Squamish River downstream of the powerline crossing remain closed to the
retention of chum. The opportunities on the Cheakamus and Mamquam Rivers remain
at:

- one (1) hatchery marked coho per day.

V.O.# 2009-430

Anglers are reminded that a hatchery marked coho means a coho salmon that has a
healed scar in place of the adipose fin.

Anglers are reminded that the use of bait is not permitted on the Squamish
River and tributaries and that single, barbless hooks are required when fishing
for salmon and when angling in all streams of Region 2.

For more information regarding salmon fisheries please contact the Squamish DFO
office at 604-892-3230, or call our salmon information line at 604-666-2828.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada is very concerned about illegal fishing activity
and asks for assistance from the general public in reporting activities of this
nature or any contravention of the Fisheries Act and Regulations. Anyone with
information can call the 24-hour toll-free Observe, Record, Report line at 1-
800-465-4336.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 03:25:23 PM by dereke »
always a student

fishyfish

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 04:19:22 PM »

I totally agree with you Dennis and ICA. Street names that are usually made visible via signs makes a lot more sense. I would assume most people (probably 99% ) drive to the river and can relate and understand to  street names better than  "powerline crossing approx. 1.5 km upstream of the confluence with the Cheakamus River"  I guess some could argue in the case of say the vedder long stretches don't have street names. But even then most closures apply to above or below "the vedder crossing". If these rules are applying to the average sport fisherman it would be helpful to communicate with them in ways the average fisherman can understand. If possible street names are ideal as most people have access to a google map etc. I don't like those co ordinates either because I don't and would assume most people don't have GPS's . I could be wrong there though. Maybe the same information communicated in several different ways would be best.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 04:24:17 PM by fishyfish »

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 05:12:45 PM »

Accessing near the boundary is tougher compared to most other spots as its walk-in (keeps 90% of guys away), so the boundary isn't generally a big issue.  If you're fishing off of Judd Road that puts you fairly close IIRC.  Otherwise, look at a map. :)  When fishing the Squamish recall a there are indian reserves and please don't trespass- it might limit future access.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 05:28:39 PM by Matt »

purplehelmet

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 05:17:32 PM »

The Squamish says that, I'm assuming, because that confluence area is a hike-in area nowhere near roadways...
It's NOT good for the smoker!

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 05:20:57 PM »

nice report ,  i got a question . if i fish around the mouth of mamquam  does the tide matter? since its a considerable amount of  river away from the mouth .

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 05:29:34 PM »

Its only a couple kilometers.  Tide matters.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 06:35:24 PM »

Its only a couple kilometers.  Tide matters.
When you fish most coastal rivers ( generalizing here ) they are definately effected by tidal swings. Some fish well on the flood / incoming tide others on the slack to ebbing tides. A good rule of thumb to stand by for fishing tides is to be on a river 2 hours before and after the high / low tide predictions. On Wed. as I reported the fishing was spotty / sporadic as the tide rose. There were times when it was without any fish activity , then you would see a couple of fish rise and a couple of guys would get hook ups. The solid bite and arrival of the masses didn't come until after the high slack  1 pm that day and when the tide began to go out. I 've heard often from many guides that the high tide brings the fish to the outside of the river where a few do enter but its the low tiide that makes a mass move into the river dependent on the characteristics of aparticular river.
It ain't the roe bro'

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 07:12:38 PM »

Other rivers aside. What Matt said applies to the Squamish. Day in day out tide Matters. Couple of hours before and after high tide more often than not you will have a good time. :) :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:23:09 PM by dereke »
always a student

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 09:56:53 PM »

Thanks much for clearing up my confusion Dereke.  Personally, I wish they would keep the retention of Chums at zero.

Anybody know what is the nearest tide station to the Squamish or the time difference with the Vancouver tide station?  (The nearest station I know is at Vancouver but I have no idea what the time lag is between Squamish and the Vancouver tide station).

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 06:12:50 AM »

Thanks much for clearing up my confusion Dereke.  Personally, I wish they would keep the retention of Chums at zero.

Anybody know what is the nearest tide station to the Squamish or the time difference with the Vancouver tide station?  (The nearest station I know is at Vancouver but I have no idea what the time lag is between Squamish and the Vancouver tide station).
http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/6041.html

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 07:20:41 AM »

I also like this site as it shows where you are in the tide swing.
http://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/Squamish-BritishColumbia/tides/latest

Cheers
Derek
always a student