Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin line amount and backing question.  (Read 16787 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
Centerpin line amount and backing question.
« on: November 27, 2009, 07:31:11 PM »

I'm a centerpin virgin and just recently bought a nice 4" Silex and a new Amundson CM2116M rod.

I put the reel on therod and suddenly realize I don't know which hand I crank with as it feels really awkward. Doesn't feel like a spey set-up but I'm sure one I try casting I'll figure it out.

I see pictures on the net with the clicker lever pointing forward or backward in most cases. That was a little confusing.

My questions come with line - how much should one spool onto the reel? On the Silex is line to the top of the face plate holes good or should the line go up to 1/8" from the spool?

The other question is; I see backing on some reels and yet reels in stores seem to be all mono. What is the point of the backing? Is it easier on the reel or does it just look nicer?

For the Vedder Steelhead in regular level clean water flow (I don't fish high water any more) and this rod I think I'm going to spool it with 15# Maxima Evergreen. Currently it has 20# Maxima Camillion but I never liked that dark line. Good choice - yes / no?

Any input is appreciated.

mr.pink

Re: Centerpin line amount and backing question.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 07:46:16 PM »

fill it up,there is a slight mech advantage with more line(easier to spin) and as far as backing i just use to fill up the reel,and it still takes 200+ yards of mono,and i like to change every year,and don't have to replace the backing,so save a bit of money.cheers.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 08:30:01 PM »

Thank you fisherforever, that's pretty much what I was reading.

Any idea on that rod? Will the CM2116M be adequate for the average Vedder water while targetting Steelhead?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 09:03:44 PM »

I have a Silex. great reel  ;D

i think i have 100yds of 30lb dacron on it. and then i have 250yds of mono !!  :o trust me that reel holds alot of frigging line.

if you get it spooled at a shop (not Army & Navy) they will know how much to fill it.

have you ever cast a cp before ??

I ask because the Silex is a closed caged reel which means any backlashes will have to be picked out much like a baitcaster. open face centerpins (islanders for example) you can just pull the loops of the side and then untangle and reel back in  ;)

not sure if you can tell but this is how full my Silex is
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 10:07:11 PM »

Hook, I never tried casting it yet but I'll try a little on the lawn this weekend.

Backlash, loops, picking ... awh crap, here we go again.  ::) I wonder what that first cast will look like?

I'll essentially put on the same line combo as you have - maybe with orange backing to look pretty.

Good stuff - thanks.

I'll load it up and try it - if I don't like it I'm sure I can find someone who will want it - no worries for me having to hold onto a Silex for too long I don't think.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
Take the T out of Morton.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 10:00:25 AM »

thanks for the link, I need some info on casting a centerpin as well. This will be my first season using my silex reels

Brian

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 11:07:57 AM »

have you ever cast a cp before ??

I ask because the Silex is a closed caged reel which means any backlashes will have to be picked out much like a baitcaster. open face centerpins (islanders for example) you can just pull the loops of the side and then untangle and reel back in  ;)

I spent the whole summer with backlashes on my Islander (off the side and dealing with twist).  Then I tried a heavier balsa float (35g) plus a bit more pencil lead, and got the casting I wanted without the backlashes, as long as I didn't try to get too greedy for distance.

Still can't cast very well overhand, mostly sidecasting (watch out neighbours!)

Have fun figuring it out.  Then when you get your first fish on the rod, you'll be the happiest fisherman ever.

fwiw, I have about 100yd backing + 20lb chameleon line on top.  It's thicker and easier to manage.  When you get the hang of it, go with a lighter line if you like.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 12:10:01 PM »

good point Brian.

i also recommend using 20lb Chameleon becasuse a slightly stiffer line will acst nicer on a cp reel. Remember to slightly use your fingers on the spool as your casting. this helps in many ways some of which are being able to stop the spool quickly if it backlashes and you can also slow the spool down for distance or targetting your casts...etc. trust me you have to guide the spool speed on any center pin.

another thing is you will want to start out with the easiest way of casting a cp with is the side swing cast. you start letting the spol slightly start spinning on the back part of the swing(going behind you) and as you go forward into the cast it will speed up allowing it to carry distance. this takes time to perfect especially if your trying to cast far.

best advice would be to start out with short casts and gradually get farther and farther this will minimize your backlashes and tangles. If you use a bit more lead this will also help to start the spool inertia at start up making casting easier also.

once you get casting down there is all sorts of casts to prefect for different situations. right now im still trying to perfect the sling shot cast  :o i can do it but cant get big distance which aggrevates me  :(

If any of you guys feeling like getting together i can help with the learning curve of casting one of these things. It really helps to see how its done properly instead of just doing it and learning the harder way. I know when i was learning i was trying to remember what i saw others doing because i was the first in my group to go to a cp, thankfully my learning curve was only 1days fishing for the most part  ;D

Rieber - if your going to lawn cast it then make sure you set it up with a float also and just give yourself a couple feet of "depth" cp's cast alot better with a pendulum action. you cant just put on lead and learn like a baitcaster because they just dont cast properly that way, it can be done but its trickier (i found) then with a float on.
Check out our new blog

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 04:57:45 PM »

Great input guys.

Hook I appreciate your offer - might have to take you up on it.

Okay Camillan it is - the dark 30# test goes back on.

I did pick up an older brown blank Sage 3113MB today so that will make a nice old timer combo.

On a lighter note, today my kid's hockey team had a golf tournament fund raiser event at Cultas Lake Golf Course - I end up getting a hole in one on #10 hole, 243 yards dogleg left.

I bought a lottery ticket as well - just in case.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 07:01:59 PM »

Definately a nice combo you have assembled there. Congrats on the hole in one, I'd definately of bought a lottery ticket too, sometimes people say good things come in threes   :D

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 09:50:31 PM »

I hope u like the reel, i already miss it. but i'll find another to replace it.

It came with backing and fresh 20lb chameleon when u got it, i wouldn't change it.
Fish killer 101

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 10:18:56 PM »

Rieber you and i now have the EXACT same combo. i do however have different mono on mine which is going to be replaced with Chameleon ASAP !! or at least before i use it again LOL

If it already was spooled up with backing and line i wouldnt have removed it at all, I mean YG does know a little about fishing  ;)
Check out our new blog

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 04:28:37 PM »

Save yourself a possible warped or cracked spool by putting on some dacron or gelspun backing first and then the mono of your choice. Putting on straight mono on a silex will keep tightening on the spool over time and can cause it to crack. Mr.P, you must use a steelheader ;D those reels will hold a lot of mono without backing :o

I've been putting straight mono on my Silex superba since 1964 and never have had any problems with the spool cracking, etc.  One thing I do as well..... once the line has had a good amount of use (one or more seasons) I flip it since the line underneath hardly sees the light of day.

I've been using ultra green on my reel forever and have no qualms about pushing that line.

You should have contact with your last three finger on the spool at all times when you are casting.  You should learn to cast side arm both forehand and backhand as well as over your shoulder depending on how close people are fishing beside you or if you have to avoid obstacles like trees/bushes.  Personally, I would not let the spool start spinning until you start the forward swing.  The beauty of fishing a pin is that if your hook does grab a tree at the start of the swing you should feel it and since you haven't lifted your fingers yet you shouldn't get a backlash. ....unlike a baitcaster where if you grab on to a tree or bush your backlash could be so severe it could end your day.   
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 04:41:02 PM by mastercaster »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 10:50:03 PM »

Younggun, I found the backing when I took the Chameleon off. I was careful to spool the line onto an old spool just in case.

I put on a 17# Stren line but that feels pretty limp and stretchy so I'm going to put the Chameleon back on.

Short lawn casting seemed pretty basic so the next step is the river without natural bait. Otherwise I'll be spraying that stuff all over the place. :D

Can't wait to try .... soon.