Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many winter steelhead did you catch in winter 2009/2010? (including both hatchery and wild fish)

o
1 - 5
6 - 10
11 - 15
16 - 20
21 - 25
26 - 30
31+

Author Topic: 2010 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 106041 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Called Freds Tackle in the morning. They said lower about 6 inches visibility, and only fishable section is Borden Creek and up. Not much room for all the fishermen to spread out. I guess if Alison and up is fishable then it will be much better. Guess there are more slides between Alison and Ranger on the back side. Can any body verify that?

Coho Cody

• Old Timer

Called Freds Tackle in the morning. They said lower about 6 inches visibility, and only fishable section is Borden Creek and up. Not much room for all the fishermen to spread out. I guess if Alison and up is fishable then it will be much better. Guess there are more slides between Alison and Ranger on the back side. Can any body verify that?
Borden on the far side itself puts out a lot of colour with rain like this.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I believe there is just the Ranger Slide but I seldom fish in that area so not certain. I took a drive up that way for you today and conditions were very good, that is above the slide, that is in the Allison Pool area. Drove up to the Limits Hole and counted 20 vehicles from the Allison up and I got a report of one hatchery taken. Another angler said he lost one.

I stopped for lunch at the Point for a delicious bowl of soup before giving the Lower a try. Conditions were about 12 inches, tried some small slots but nothing to show for it. With the color and high water it makes for tough fishing as you have to be lucky to find a fish, so many places they can be.
I however did find 6 DNE floats including a wooden one, 1 Cleardrift, 1 Drennan and 3 foam floats. ;D

It rained the whole time and with more rain in the forcast tonight I cannot see the Lower being very good tomorrow. I might have to slip to the Upper as we start the 2010 brood capture program tomorrow on the Chilliwack Vedder River. I must try to do better than last year when I only contributed 4, two that I caught and 2 from other anglers.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

The slides start at the top of borden, waterfall, prison, back tolmie/allison, tolmie/salesse and theres a tiny one just above tamahi.
Tolmie and borden are the two big ones that make the most mess. The otheres I mentioned are clay bank/ slides that also contribute.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:16:36 PM by BigFisher »
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

The heavy rain of last night took its toll on the Lower as visibility about 6 inches, at 4 PM, snow level down a bit. Upper?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Visibility around 18 inches or so in the Lower this AM. Had an enjoyable walk along the Rotary Trail with FlyRob where we exchanges fishing tales and other topics. We did not see that many people out for a weekend, I guess they are all in the Upper. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Visibility around 2 feet this evening, further report under fishing reports later.

the carp

checked the river at 08:30 a.m. at the vedder bridge, 18inches vis. with a greenish tint, very high.

the carp

two feet vis. below the anderson run unlimited above the anderson run, should drop tonight if no rain.

the carp

The river dropped about a foot overnight same vis. as yesterday, i saw more anglers out today so maybe there will be some fish to report

chromer

Water was 3+' of vis. between Peach and Brown Rd. Saw one nice wild buck end up in a tube. No love for me today. Dropping out nicely, even a little gravel starting to show in the canal.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer

Water conditions were great today :), but I didn't hook into anything  >:(

costas

water conditions were very good for my first outting of the year!
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

tnt

the river is in great shape top to bottom....
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

As TNT stated condition are favorable with fish taken each day in different parts of the river. I heard 7 fish were tubed in the upper yesterday. I did not get a bite after fishing all day yesterday but lost two today. ::) Saw the Kinger walk out with one this afternoon. ;D