Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many winter steelhead did you catch in winter 2009/2010? (including both hatchery and wild fish)

o
1 - 5
6 - 10
11 - 15
16 - 20
21 - 25
26 - 30
31+

Author Topic: 2010 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 113262 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: 2010 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates
« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2010, 11:27:34 AM »

Was not planning to fish today but the water looked so nice I was glad I had taken my rod along when I went to take a look at it so I could file a water condition report for you all. Only one person was fishing the run I lost the fish the other evening. He was on the other side of the river at the top end so I decided to give it a go for a few minutes. It around 9 o'clock so I was sure someone would have worked through the run

I worked my way thought the run with no success but on the way back up the run I flipped out just at the drop off. For some reason I was looking away when I felt a few tugs but did not react as I guess I was surprised to be getting a bite. When I reeled in the fish had taken all the quarter sized bait of the hook, sneaky guy.

Well as I put on a fresh bait I felt for sure I would get another chance but after 5 minutes of trying I was not offered the opportunity. Just then two anglers I know came to the run on the other side of the river. I thought maybe they could get the fish to bite so I told them I had just missed an opportunity but they could not get the fish to bite either but further down the run one of the boys connects and lands a 11 to 12 pound hatchery fish. ;D

I guess others saw the action and a couple more arrive so I decide I would leave the run to them. Just as I got back to the truck I see another rod bend as an another fish comes to the beach and most likely was a wild fish as it was released.

I guess it proves you do not have to be the first to a run to find success but I must learn to pay more attention as one never knows when your float will be going down. At least this one will not count against my 2 for 12 average as it was not really hooked but maybe if I was watching my Maple Leaf DNE my average would be 3 for 13, maybe next time.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: 2010 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates
« Reply #226 on: February 07, 2010, 05:36:31 PM »

Conditions were fine, lots of people out.

bcguy

« Reply #227 on: February 07, 2010, 06:48:08 PM »

Was out today for a few hrs, water conditions were beautiful, heard of a few fish caught. Was up mid river area, when I passed a couple of guys fishing from the opposite bank of the river, but going the other way, later as I was heading back, they went by on the other bank sporting what must have been a 13 or 14 lb'r, caught at the start of one of the circuits I was following today, so in keeping with Chris's remark" I guess it proves you do not have to be the first to a run to find success"  ;)
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #228 on: February 10, 2010, 08:57:22 PM »

Water condition very good but by the reports I got while out this afternoon fishing seems to be spotty but things should improve after the river clears after the forcast of heavy rain on the way for the next few days. Should then make for better fishing but not good for skiing on Cypress. ::)

tnt

« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2010, 08:18:28 AM »

river down low looked great this morning.....
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

rollin

vedder river steelhead
« Reply #230 on: February 12, 2010, 07:26:07 PM »

great day on the river today 3 fish, first for me in one day a buck caught mid day wild, a juvinile caught afternoon and brought home a doe at the end of the day.
water conditions where epic, gin clear light tackel was an aset today.
shake&bake.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #231 on: February 14, 2010, 12:05:21 PM »

visibility is getting worse by the moment, time to take a few days off

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #232 on: February 14, 2010, 02:55:41 PM »

Just got back from the River, about a foot vis on the lower, just enough to bring down my confidence. The upper had around 3 feet but cloudy.
The Bigger The Better!

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #233 on: February 14, 2010, 10:05:36 PM »

crap. I'm still going to head out tomorrow. My only chance this week

yoda

« Reply #234 on: February 16, 2010, 05:32:09 PM »

was out today, lower river was excellent for visability in the morning then rose and by 1:30 pm deteriorated to less than half a ft.
did manage to get one to tail walk for about 15 seconds before letting go! Got my pull for the day so i'm happy!

Banny

« Reply #235 on: February 16, 2010, 06:30:21 PM »

Ya I packed it in at about 1:30 too as vis had been dramatically reduced as the day progressed.  Managed a 14" whitefish today on a blade...wtf?

J

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #236 on: February 16, 2010, 06:53:40 PM »

Does anyone know what the water levels are like in the canal and or else where?  I'll be heading out tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 07:00:28 PM by Eagleye »

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #237 on: February 16, 2010, 07:59:56 PM »

great at first light today but deteriorated to about a foot by 10 am, might be okay tomorrow in the lower. Very slow morning fish wise.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #238 on: February 17, 2010, 04:40:02 PM »

Water looks perfect today again.

Was out for a few hours. Fished the bottom end for a couple hours but did not see anything. I then drove further up from the Keith Wilson Bridge and was able to hook into one for about couple minutes but it got off.

When I got there, someone hooked and landed a 10lb hatchery doe.

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: 2010 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition update
« Reply #239 on: February 17, 2010, 10:02:59 PM »

waters looks better, lots of fisherman
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.