Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does anyone Ice fish?  (Read 10687 times)

bowriva76

Does anyone Ice fish?
« on: December 07, 2009, 08:43:49 PM »

Hi to all, just wondering if there any any hard water guys on here. Has anyone fished Tunkwa lake in the winter?

thanks and great site.

Nucks

Re: Does anyone Ice fish?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 07:53:15 AM »

Yes and no.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 10:21:59 AM »

--mostly on interior lakes that are stocked with eastern brookies
--ensure to check regs as many lakes are closed Dec 1 or closed to ice fishing.

Kristopher

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »

I don't really enjoy ice fishing all that much but have a couple friends who like it so I'll go once or twice a year just to relax and hang out.  Never ice fished Tunkwa before so I can't help you there.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 04:26:31 PM »

Have never iced fish before but it didn't stop me from colouring up this Christmas card (an art project our school did):

Inside caption to read:   So you may as well have a "Cool Yule"   Merry Fishmas!

I guess the reason I don't ice fish is because I hate it when my flyline sticks to the ice!  :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 05:42:17 PM »

Mamit Lake by Merritt is a popular ice fishing lake.

SnaggedADuck

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 07:49:59 PM »

Uncle in law went ice fishing and drove his truck on the ice where a bunch of other guys out there parked.  He got out and heard some cracked and yelled everyone out and his truck went in the lake.  This was in Alberta and i suppose it happens every now and then

Kristopher

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 08:03:17 PM »

Mamit Lake by Merritt is a popular ice fishing lake.
Got some decent rainbows outta that lake last winter.

NFM

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 09:34:28 AM »

Ok so this may sound a little out there but I'm sure we have all watched the t.v show home improvement and have watched the episode were Tim and AL go ice fishing in that little shack . Is there anywere that offerers this sort of accommodation (in BC ) a few friends and I were talking about doing something like this if it was offered in b.c i just can't find anything like this. Anyone know of anything like this ?

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 08:00:31 AM »

Ok so this may sound a little out there but I'm sure we have all watched the t.v show home improvement and have watched the episode were Tim and AL go ice fishing in that little shack . Is there anywere that offerers this sort of accommodation (in BC ) a few friends and I were talking about doing something like this if it was offered in b.c i just can't find anything like this. Anyone know of anything like this ?

You might consider trying rice lake in north van, but don't forget to wear a life jacket and keep a bag of dry clothes just incase its not frozen enough.  I was there over christmas one year thinking I would get to fish, but it was completely frozen over.

As for shack rentals, non that I know of in BC, but you can do that in banff, or lesser slave lake in alberta.  Or you can convert a travel trailer (my buddy has one) an put holes in the floor and pull it with a quad or sled... Pretty nice set up to fish in when its -30.  Or you can buy your own tent for a few hundred and put up a shelter anywhere you can carry it. 

But my personal favorite is to dress warm and wait for a nice day, and just sit in the open.  Over here I am just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit and I will be drilling my first holes this season (This morning it is -18 according to the thermometer outside my window).  I figure we must be at 50cm of ice on the local lakes by now (enough to drive on). 

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 02:01:58 PM »

Hi to all, just wondering if there any any hard water guys on here. Has anyone fished Tunkwa lake in the winter?

thanks and great site.

January 17 ice fishing derby at Mamette Lake near Merritt. That lake has some very big trout in it and the fishing is always better than average. Tunkwa lake is not bad but Mamette is better and has bigger fish.
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

shi man oh man

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »

Hi im glad someone brought this subject up, I was wondering the same thing. Does Mamett Lake offer cabin rental etc. And if not does anyone know of lakes that offer ice fishing and accomadation. Lakes that are not more than 4 hours from lower mainland, Also one other question at Mammett Lake do you guys use shrimp on a jig head as lure of choice or just night crawlers. Thanks guys

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 04:49:19 PM »

Hi im glad someone brought this subject up, I was wondering the same thing. Does Mamett Lake offer cabin rental etc. And if not does anyone know of lakes that offer ice fishing and accomadation. Lakes that are not more than 4 hours from lower mainland, Also one other question at Mammett Lake do you guys use shrimp on a jig head as lure of choice or just night crawlers. Thanks guys

Mamette Lake does not have cabins, but there is good accommodation (Motels) available all over in Merritt.
Our derby fishers do very well on shrimp, colored in pink, red, chartreuse and natural, and worms. Also jig spoons do well. Best is to bring an assortment of bait and lure as you never can tell 100% what the fish like on a specific day.
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

mattyo

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 04:59:46 PM »

January 17 ice fishing derby at Mamette Lake near Merritt. That lake has some very big trout in it and the fishing is always better than average. Tunkwa lake is not bad but Mamette is better and has bigger fish.

And an added bonus, the fish won't taste like poo ;D

labmik

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 07:52:38 PM »

And an added bonus, the fish won't taste like poo ;D
Boneless brown trout taste terrible!! ;D