Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mamette Lake Ice Fishing Derby  (Read 9297 times)

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
Mamette Lake Ice Fishing Derby
« on: December 09, 2009, 10:47:39 PM »

A few members from this and other forums contacted me to ask when this years NVFGC Ice Fishing Derby is held.

Here it is. It's our 10th annual charity ice fishing and as the committee chairman I am proud to say we have grown to become one of the biggest and most anticipated ice fishing event in BC.

The Ice Fishing Derby will be held on January 17th at Mamette Lake. The derby starts at 8:00 am and ends at 2:00 pm.

For more information and prize categories look here, or contact me.

I hope to personally welcome you all to this great event.
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

Kristopher

Re: Mamette Lake Ice Fishing Derby
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 11:03:28 PM »

Was in the area last year and checked it out.  Was a pretty good day.  A friend of mine got a couple real nice rainbows.

huntwriter

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 09:31:03 PM »

Was in the area last year and checked it out.  Was a pretty good day.  A friend of mine got a couple real nice rainbows.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. This year is our 10th ice fishing derby anniversary so we have few extra treats up our sleeves. :)

Kristopher

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 12:45:03 AM »

Right on.
I didn't catch anything worth entering into the derby so I didn't win anything, but I got a sweet keychain from one of the COs. :D
My buddy has already mentioned how he wants to get up there and do some ice fishing pretty soon so I'm sure I'll end up getting dragged along.  Maybe I'll suggest Mamette again this year.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:47:20 AM by Kristopher »

shi man oh man

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 04:29:36 PM »

So how far out of Merritt is Mamette, and how good is the road acess to get to the lake

jimmywits

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 04:44:06 PM »

So how far out of Merritt is Mamette, and how good is the road acess to get to the lake
About forty minutes and the road access is paved. From Merritt head west towards Spences bridge and turn right( North) onto the secondary highway to Logan Lake. This Hwy will take you right to the lake. Good Luck ;D

huntwriter

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 04:09:11 PM »

Right on.
I didn't catch anything worth entering into the derby so I didn't win anything, but I got a sweet keychain from one of the COs. :D
My buddy has already mentioned how he wants to get up there and do some ice fishing pretty soon so I'm sure I'll end up getting dragged along.  Maybe I'll suggest Mamette again this year.

You're on the good side of the CO then. :) Some got key chains and others got fines for fishing without a license.

On that note: Fresh Water Fishing Regulations apply. That means people need to purchase a fresh water fishing license BEFORE registering for the derby. Last year we had about ten people attending without a license, and these are the ones that got fined.

huntwriter

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 04:11:55 PM »

jimmywits gave an excellent route description. As you leave Merritt toward the Lower Nicola there will be also signs posted all the way to the lake. Unless somebody takes them down again like last year. :( 

Kristopher

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 12:50:56 AM »

You're on the good side of the CO then. :) Some got key chains and others got fines for fishing without a license.

On that note: Fresh Water Fishing Regulations apply. That means people need to purchase a fresh water fishing license BEFORE registering for the derby. Last year we had about ten people attending without a license, and these are the ones that got fined.
Yeah we definitely saw a couple people get busted.

sreeb

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 04:24:58 PM »

I caught a really nice 3lbs rainbow there a couple weeks ago.

huntwriter

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »

The ice fishing derby was huge success this year with more people attending than last year. The fishing started a bit slow but at the end of the derby 21 rainbows and 30 coarse fish went through the scale plus a few more than where released due to size.

The only downside was that the CO's had to hand out two tickets for fishing without a license, and that despite the fact that it clearly said on all our advertising "Fresh Water Fishing Regulations Apply."

During the derby I had time on my hands to visit with almost everyone and it seems everybody was happy and enjoying the event. Once again I was pleasantly surprised to see that many children and families in attendance, making this a true family event as intended.

My heartfelt appreciation goes to all the many volunteers that tirelessly helped where help was needed and made this event a success.

I also wish to thank everybody that came out, it was nice to see so many familiar faces and meet some new ones. Here is looking forward to next years ice fishing derby. As I write this my mind is already on the Family Fishing Day and the Angling Ambassador Program coming up in the spring and late summer respectively.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 06:43:58 PM »

A fellow I know here in Chilliwack was up for the derby and enjoyed the event. Well done on putting on a successful derby, I heard the weather cooperated too.

the carp

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 07:42:43 PM »

is it possible to post winners and prizes and sizes.

huntwriter

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 08:57:47 PM »

A fellow I know here in Chilliwack was up for the derby and enjoyed the event. Well done on putting on a successful derby, I heard the weather cooperated too.

It was a beautiful day, mild, sunny and no wind. For those that know the lake the wind can be quite strong and frequent.

is it possible to post winners and prizes and sizes.

Just got the list in today:

Adult Trout Class:
1st. $ 300 weight 3lb. 2oz
2nd. $200 weight 2lb. 13oz
3rd. $100 weight 2lb. 11oz

Coarse Fish: (Heaviest only)
$50 weight 5lb 8oz

Hidden weight prize:
Road and Reel Combo from the BC Angling Ambassador Program.

Since this in a public accessible Internet forum I am bound by the right of privacy law and can not post the names with out the permission of the concerned.

Unfortunately there where no Children entries. However, no child went home empty handed. We had plenty of give away prizes for every child. 

Kristopher

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 02:15:05 AM »

We went up last week and did pretty well for trout. 
What type of coarse fish won the prize?