Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Trout Fishing Spots  (Read 17720 times)

doja

Re: River Trout Fishing Spots
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 03:09:06 PM »

You always have a chance with whitefish, dollys, and trout especially right now.

Some times when steelheading I would change up to a small nymph fly under a float and hook the above mentioned fish just so I wouldn't go home with out connecting... on med-light gear which I have for steelheading they can still be fun although a light fly rod/spinning rod would be great for the smaller fish.

I agree with what rodney says about the large hook killing small fish... I find small flys work best for c&r and they work good too.

Good luck

Just saw you post after I typed this, and just about every river has the above mentioned fish in it even the vedder and the best part is no one is targeting them, and with the added bonus you can get a steelie too

pnKroK

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 03:39:06 PM »

yeah..cool!

After reading articles and blogs from Rodney, it gets me pumped to try for other fish.

Sure, salmon are great fun to try and catch, but in my mind...with a light rod and line, its just as much fun trying for the other fish.

I could be wrong, but trout in a river are probably highly under-rated.  Maybe i don't get out there enough and see people fishing, but i'd rather fish for trout and other fish at this time of year, rather than deal with the crowds during a huge (not anymore) salmon run.

thanks for the patience and replies!

-rob C

Kristopher

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 04:54:36 PM »

Make sure to pack a copy of the freshwater fishing regulations synopsis which is available for free at any tackle shop.

Good luck out there.

doja

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »

The "other fish" can also be located in different parts of the river than typical salmon holding water. I remember when I first came here from the okanagon with my light spinning rod and fly rod fishing the vedder. I had good sized fish(about 12"+) chasing and following my lures and fly's often...although not always connecting. I'd sometimes fish the water that people would be wading in and sometimes I'd be fishing behind them... and getting results.

And dolly's can get pretty big too.

I also found it funny when people though I was "wasting my time" by not fishing for the species that most other people were targeting... I was having lots of fun hunting trout that they probably didn't even know were there, and that's all that matters!

steve B

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 07:20:13 PM »

Always remember that if theres no food for the fish to feed on,  then the pool your fiishing will have no fish right scout out the locations that you want to fish.  See if theres surface activity and if there's small baitfish swimming around or insects landing on the surface of the water,  then you might have a chance with the right presentation. If you know what the fish are feeding on then you will know which lure to use. thats my two cents Good luck.

Robert_G

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 09:43:01 PM »

I was thinking of heading up to hope and trying the river along the silver skagit road (skagit river?).

Trout streams may seem very inviting, but many are closed and have strict regulations.
The stream you are talking about is the Silverhope creek and it is closed right now above the Lake. Below has a bait ban and is catch and release.
Whenever you see a stream that you want to try....check the regs first.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 05:38:44 PM »

I like fishing for salmon, but actually, I find trout fishing way more interesting that salmon.  There are some OK trout streams in the lower mainland, you probably have driven over a bunch of them if you own a car, others are a bit more off the beaten path.  Check them out, and you may be surprised.  

Also the best fishing for resident trout can be had when it starts warming up.  There are some beautiful costal cutties around the LML.

Sure, salmon are great fun to try and catch, but in my mind...with a light rod and line, its just as much fun trying for the other fish.

I could be wrong, but trout in a river are probably highly under-rated.  Maybe i don't get out there enough and see people fishing, but i'd rather fish for trout and other fish at this time of year, rather than deal with the crowds during a huge (not anymore) salmon run.

thanks for the patience and replies!

-rob C
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:41:08 PM by Jonny 5 »

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 05:44:03 PM »

at stave river their is a lot of salmon fry all the river needs is some rain and it will be loaded with trout. I was their yesterday on my kayak and say tons of salmon fry.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

doja

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 07:22:06 PM »

at stave river their is a lot of salmon fry all the river needs is some rain and it will be loaded with trout. I was their yesterday on my kayak and say tons of salmon fry.

You take your kayak in the stave.... how is it? and I assume you launch on the east side, which I have never been to. I also have a kayak (14' sot) and was thinking about paddling it but the last time I was there I was on the west side and the current seemed to be moving a fair bit, and made me a little nervous. But being that I live some what close to it I'd like to give it a go.

colin6101

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 11:42:53 PM »

I've taken my kayak out in the stave a few times during chum/coho season and haven't had too many problems. It's a bit shorter (around 9'), and I always launch on the west side. Another good place to try the kayak out is the Nicomen Slough, it can have good cuttie fishing as well.

fly fisher

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 11:52:49 PM »

I've taken my kayak out in the stave a few times during chum/coho season and haven't had too many problems. It's a bit shorter (around 9'), and I always launch on the west side. Another good place to try the kayak out is the Nicomen Slough, it can have good cuttie fishing as well.
you fish for chum from a kayak. if so what do you use.

colin6101

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 12:36:33 AM »

Haha I sure do, it can be quite interesting at times to say the least. I usually just troll spoons along some of the slower sections of water in the stave (side channels in the upper and the lower stave). I've had some success throwing out jigs as well, just make sure that you are well anchored, or really comfortable controlling your boat because I have definitely been dragged around by some of the larger ones I've hooked in to. A good way to practice is to take your kayak out on the water during pink season to get used to fighting larger fish, just watch out because you might end up hooking into a spring (which I haven't done yet but hopefully will soon!). I trolled along the fraser around Poplar bar during this year's pink run and had a blast.

fly fisher

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 11:19:46 AM »

Haha I sure do, it can be quite interesting at times to say the least. I usually just troll spoons along some of the slower sections of water in the stave (side channels in the upper and the lower stave). I've had some success throwing out jigs as well, just make sure that you are well anchored, or really comfortable controlling your boat because I have definitely been dragged around by some of the larger ones I've hooked in to. A good way to practice is to take your kayak out on the water during pink season to get used to fighting larger fish, just watch out because you might end up hooking into a spring (which I haven't done yet but hopefully will soon!). I trolled along the fraser around Poplar bar during this year's pink run and had a blast.
what type of rod do you use.

colin6101

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 03:32:17 PM »

I just troll with a spin cast rod (shimano convergence 10'), I'm hoping to end up getting a large enough fly rod that i can try that soon as well, but right now I only have a rod suitable for trout fishing. I've seen a few other kayaks around as well, a lot of the guys like to anchor instead of trolling and they seem to have good success as well.

fly fisher

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 03:35:11 PM »

I just troll with a spin cast rod (shimano convergence 10'), I'm hoping to end up getting a large enough fly rod that i can try that soon as well, but right now I only have a rod suitable for trout fishing. I've seen a few other kayaks around as well, a lot of the guys like to anchor instead of trolling and they seem to have good success as well.
i am probably getting a spey rod so i will try that. hub has a couple of 9 weights for a great price. Also how do you land the fish.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 05:05:14 PM by fly fisher »