Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, December 28th 2009  (Read 4812 times)

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
Chilliwack River, December 28th 2009
« on: December 28, 2009, 05:54:31 PM »

Today, decided to take the 5wt out for a spin hoping I would hook into one on the first outting. Well, wrong. Day started out at the old KWB, fished the way down. Nothing, so we decided to try #3 road. Fished down the run, once again nothing to be hooked. Went up higher, fished down the run and again, nothing was to be caught. With the wind coming in and eyes freezing, we headed home cold. Did not see a single bent rod all day, the boxing day derby must have taken all the fish   ::)
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Chilliwack River, December 28th 2009
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 06:15:19 PM »

What were you targeting with your 5wt on the Vedder? Bit under gunned for steelhead if thats what you were targeting.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 06:41:59 PM »

Exactly what I'm going for  ;) My guns are loaded
Quite........
Carry on......

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:14:32 PM »

My 5wt rod is too stiff to be a 5wt even if it says 5wt on the side, could throw a 7 wt line without any problems  :D
Even if I did hook one, I'd bring it as fast as I possibly could without exhausting the fish too much. Do not worry  ;)
Quite........
Carry on......

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 08:51:42 PM »

what rod is your 5 wt ?

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 09:14:53 PM »

TFO TiCr-x
Quite........
Carry on......

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 11:44:44 PM »

How many times has it been posted about using the proper weight of rod, reel and line when targeting steelhead (or other species)  ??? You would have to nearly play a steelhead to complete exhaustion to land it. You must be trolling like randolph20 or an ignorant fool !!! >:(

Sorry, wasn't really ment to target you guys, but to the flamers out there in general. Just got really irritated, do witness him going around just being bitter.
Not everyone fishes the same way, I could land a steelhead with a 5wt. Hooking one and fighting on a drift rod also tires it out, am I right? They do recover am I right?
Without knowing what gear im really using, do you have the rights to say anything? Jetboatjim asked, I admire his maturity.

Yes I agree some people must be flamed but also should be simply educated. But here I do not find that I have done anything wrong.

If you own a TFO TiCr-X I'd say most would agree that it is a stiff heavy fast rod.
Quite........
Carry on......

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 11:13:22 PM »

Sorry, wasn't really ment to target you guys, but to the flamers out there in general. Just got really irritated, do witness him going around just being bitter.
Not everyone fishes the same way, I could land a steelhead with a 5wt. Hooking one and fighting on a drift rod also tires it out, am I right? They do recover am I right?
Without knowing what gear im really using, do you have the rights to say anything? Jetboatjim asked, I admire his maturity.

Yes I agree some people must be flamed but also should be simply educated. But here I do not find that I have done anything wrong.

If you own a TFO TiCr-X I'd say most would agree that it is a stiff heavy fast rod.

I have owned a few TFO's and yes for the rod they are a bit of a broomstick but its still not intended for steelhead. IMO you should be using an 8wt or above. Also remember the fish is fighting the current making it a stronger fight.

A drift rod is not a flyrod. It has a line rating. If you were using a drift rod or noodle rod rated for 2-5lb line than yes that would be the same as using a 5wt for steelhead.

Let me give you an example of something. Lets say you use an 8 or 9wt flyrod and play and land a 15lb steelhead. It takes you 10 minutes max. Now you have that same fish on a 5wt. If you played it to exhaustion it takes you 30 minutes. Do you think that fish has a better chance of survival from the 10 minute fight or the 30 minute fight? What I am saying is why even do it? Think of this as a learning session not a flaming session. How many guys do you see on the Vedder using 5wt flyrods? Do you think that its pure coincidence that people are all using 8wt or higher weighted fly rods?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Tee

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 01:26:03 AM »

Spent just over half a day flogging the water. Lucky enough to be able to get my first one of the season. It was wild. I knew it was quite big as soon as it took a long run down, but my jaws dropped when it cleared the water. After successfully landing the fish, I took quick pics and the length measurement. It was approx. 35 inch. in length, the biggest to date for me on the Vedder.

Hope more to come.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 09:21:38 AM by Tee »
I only fish on days that end with "y".

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 01:35:19 AM »

Stop suggesting someone is a troll when their opinion does not agree with yours.

Nice to get out Fishin_Squirrel, keep the reports coming. At least you were able to get out, unlike some of us.

Can't say much about the rod personally. Fishing is a trial and error game after all. If the rod is not adequate enough, then you'll find out when that 15lber grabs the fly. ;) However, when that happens and if you find yourself undergunned, it'd be time to break the fish off instead of expending its energy to bring it in after a long period of time.

Nice fish Tee. :)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 09:50:11 AM »

Today, decided to take the 5wt out for a spin hoping I would hook into one on the first outting.

How long have you been flyfishing for?

I don't care what brand it is, a 5wt is not enough rod for flyfishing steelhead.  It's disrespectful to the fish - plain and simple.

Tex

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 10:35:39 AM »

Spent just over half a day flogging the water. Lucky enough to be able to get my first one of the season. It was wild. I knew it was quite big as soon as it took a long run down, but my jaws dropped when it cleared the water. After successfully landing the fish, I took quick pics and the length measurement. It was approx. 35 inch. in length, the biggest to date for me on the Vedder.

Hope more to come.

Beautiful fish man!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 10:48:13 AM »

Yes , very nice early run winter steeelhead, going to get one just like it, right now!!! ;D

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 12:09:01 PM »

I think I'll take Rodney's advice, pull the plug when time comes. If I can't land the fish under 10 min, I'm breaking her off.
How long have you been flyfishing for?

Been on and off, for about 6 years, got really into it this year for some reason.

Nice fish Tee  :D
Quite........
Carry on......

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 10:05:13 PM »

Good looking fish Tee. Congrats. Looks like it is going to be a good year with 10 fish in the Derby. Time to head out to have a date with the silver bullets.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 02:59:41 PM by Steelhawk »