Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, December 28th 2009  (Read 4805 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, December 28th 2009
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 04:45:57 AM »

5wt is way too light for steelhead.  I'd venture to say a 7wt is too light...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 10:22:24 AM »

the rod weight is less important in playing a fish than in its ability (or lack) to toss the lines and flies that might give you a chance at a steelhead. Someone who thinks a #5 rod is really an #7 likely isn't too skilled a caster as the designer knows what sort of line works best with the rod (or at least as they intended) and people who load them up a couple of weights need to feel it bend. As for a #7 for steelhead? I woulld certainly use one for summer runs where the fish are 15lbs and less. I have known some excellent anglers who used #7s for winter fish with something like a Teeny 300 or 400 grain trimmed down to match the rod.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

nosey

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 12:55:44 PM »

I see a lot of people drift fishing with 6 & 8 lb. test leader which in my opinion is way too light for landing a steelhead, if he wants to put heavy tippet on his 5 wt and bend it right down to the corks why don't you people get off his case, it's not so much how big it is but how you use it I've been told before. And yes my 6 wt TFO deffinately feels heavy enough throw a 7 or 8 wt. line,  its a 4 pc. and the extra joints in it stiffen the crap out of it, so unless I fondled his rod exactly I wouldn't pass judgement.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 03:08:41 PM »

If anyone fondles his rod I'M PASSING JUDGEMENT!  :-X

(Sorry rod, couldn't help myself)  ;)

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 03:37:45 PM »

LMFAO.  ;D ;D ;D ;D, just in time to inject some badly  needed humor into the discussion.

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 08:07:58 PM »

ROTFLMAO ;D ;D ;D ;D
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 02:42:34 AM »

Just how many rods have you been passing judgement on? :o

I see a lot of people drift fishing with 6 & 8 lb. test leader which in my opinion is way too light for landing a steelhead, if he wants to put heavy tippet on his 5 wt and bend it right down to the corks why don't you people get off his case, it's not so much how big it is but how you use it I've been told before. And yes my 6 wt TFO deffinately feels heavy enough throw a 7 or 8 wt. line,  its a 4 pc. and the extra joints in it stiffen the crap out of it, so unless I fondled his rod exactly I wouldn't pass judgement.
I use a 10 pound leader, and yes I believe you are correct. 4 pieces are very stiff on a extra fast rod. My rod won't bend past 3/4 of the way. When you own one, you will find out. Rockets 5wt dry lines across the canal, beast of a rod.  :D
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

Tee

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 06:33:41 AM »

Thanks and good luck fishing everyone.

Cheers,
I only fish on days that end with "y".

shortfloat

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 06:35:26 PM »

Fish for steelhead with that rod in July. When they are on there way out for the first time ! Come on use some common sense. Just because a rod has a fast action does not mean that it has the muscle to be used for what it isnt intended to.