Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 17th 2010  (Read 3784 times)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, January 17th 2010
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:11:30 PM »

Got to the river at Lickman parking lot by 8:30am. It was a bit high but the colour was fishable.

As I stepped down the river bank, I saw someone playing a fish and his buddy using a net to scoop it in. It was indeed a small hatchery of about 7lbs.

I tried fishing the strech down below for about 3 hours but to no avail.

The 2 that caught the fish came down and the guy that caught the fish continued to fish. I was surprised and someone actually spoke to them about that. The guy pulled out this "regulation" that says that he can keep 2 hatchery steelhead. Not sure where he got that information but the last time I checked, it is still 1 hatchery steelhead.

Well, that will be my report.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:00:15 PM by CohoMan »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, January 17th 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:12:01 PM »

Thanks for the visuals.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 04:45:10 PM »

Cohoman: you are right you are allowed to keep only one  hatchery steelhead/day on the Chilliwack/Vedder River. You also have to log the catch on your license. The regs clearly state that so that guy is blowing smoke. Would have served him right to get a warning or a ticket for continuing to fish. There have been other posts about the decline of Steelhead stocks, so as sportsfishermen whenever we go fishing we have to know how to read and interpret the regulations. If that person was in doubt, he could have called one of the local Fish and Wildlife offices, or even stop in at the Fish and Tackle shops in Chilliwack and they would have informed him of the legal limit for the Vedder River system.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 04:48:08 PM by dennyman »

JustinG

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 05:18:06 PM »

Caught somewhere in that neighbourhood. Put up a respectable fight. She was 10.1lbs, caught on fresh steely roe from last weekend's Stamp trip. Lots of water to out there to fish this weekend. And no... I was not the guy who continued to fish post catch.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 06:04:14 PM »

its one hatch fish, and your done after you decide to bonk one. Nice fish Justin.
Fish killer 101

jon5hill

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 06:07:56 PM »

My perseverance paid off for me today

In a river:
27 inches around 7 lb

20 inches around 3 lb

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 06:26:28 PM »

Are those hatchery fish jon5hill?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Kristopher

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 07:07:21 PM »

I hope so. 
Nice reports, guys.  I can't wait to get out this week. ;D

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 07:17:21 PM »

I can't wait to get out this week. ;D 

Same  ;D

jon5hill

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 07:37:08 PM »

The fish were both hatchery, and both fish were released. Might be worth mentioning that they weren't caught on the Chilliwack River as the initial title of this post was "Fishing Report, January 17th 2010" and didn't specify a location. I took the fish out of the water, placed them gently down next to my rod and snapped a photo with my cell camera. It's hard to prepare your cell phone to take a picture with a steelhead on the rod in the other hand! They were out of water for less than 20 seconds, and both shot off into the water no worse for wear.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 07:49:49 PM »

The fish were both hatchery, and both fish were released. Might be worth mentioning that they weren't caught on the Chilliwack River as the initial title of this post was "Fishing Report, January 17th 2010" and didn't specify a location. I took the fish out of the water, placed them gently down next to my rod and snapped a photo with my cell camera. It's hard to prepare your cell phone to take a picture with a steelhead on the rod in the other hand! They were out of water for less than 20 seconds, and both shot off into the water no worse for wear.

you are gonna get Sh#t for that! nice fish to all!

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 07:51:02 PM »

The fish were both hatchery, and both fish were released.
And thats where you shot yourself in the foot. If you plan on releasing any fish ALWAYS keep them in the water, I don't care if your using a cell phone camera or whatever your excuse is. Then don't take a pic of the fish if your going to treat them with disrespect like that. Besides your cell phone camera isnt good anyways, pictures don't even look good.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:01:12 PM by Trout Slayer »

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 07:59:20 PM »

Nobody wants to see fish treated like that for a picture especially Steelhead.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 08:15:18 PM »

Jon5hill, glad you got some fish, but as others have pointed out, PLEASE don't lay live fish on the ground to take photos if you're planning to release them.  If you want a picture, do so in the water and have the fish out of the water for as short a time as possible.

Tex

jon5hill

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 08:32:22 PM »

If my intention was to treat the fish with respect, I probably wouldn't trick it into biting something that is very sharp and pierces a hole its face, then pull it against its will on a line so that I can get it close enough to take a picture.

However, I understand your concern for the fish, but I lost myself in excitement. My next investment - camera and tripod.