Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 17th 2010  (Read 3782 times)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, January 17th 2010
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 08:41:48 PM »

If my intention was to treat the fish with respect, I probably wouldn't trick it into biting something that is very sharp and pierces a hole its face, then pull it against its will on a line so that I can get it close enough to take a picture.

However, I understand your concern for the fish, but I lost myself in excitement. My next investment - camera and tripod.

correct me if I am wrong but you are saying that you don't respect steelhead? yet you want to be involved in the brood capture program! good luck ;)

jon5hill

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 09:19:22 PM »

I've devoted my life to studying the ecology and conservation of pacific salmonids. If throwing my life towards their best interests is considered disrespectful, then I've failed as a human being. I understand that their probability of survival is reduced if they are held out of water for a long time. In the interest of taking a photo, I minimized this time by preparing my camera with the fish still on the line, then holding the fish under water while I laid out my rod. The fish were taken from the water, placed beside the rod, and a photo shot in a very short time frame. I know that I did little to harm either of those fish as I was gentle, prepared, and fast. As you can see by the crappy photo, I didn't even look at resulting quality of it until the fish was back in the water.

I find it alarming how much people can claim to know about how a fish was handled when they weren't there to see it through. You're behaving as if I dragged the fish onto the rocks, then toe punted it back into the water.

J

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 09:32:01 PM »

Let's stop the blood hound mentality here and give merits to posters who made an effort to cheer up your fishing day with their posts. I trust that most folks daring to post here have good ethics and knowledge of what they do to the fish, particularly steelhead. Not many who can successfully hunt and land a steelhead are greenies or ignorant fishermen. Let's give the posters their due and trust their words for it. Who want to come here to self incriminate just to get every one pounding on yourself? There are not many Simon Cowell.  ;D ;D

Congrats to all posters with their nice catches. Cheers and fish in peace. :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 09:33:39 PM »

Let's stop the blood hound mentality here and give merits to posters who made an effort to cheer up your fishing day with their posts. I trust that most folks daring to post here have good ethics and knowledge of what they do to the fish, particularly steelhead. Not many who can successfully hunt and land a steelhead are greenies or ignorant fishermen. Let's give the posters their due and trust their words for it. Who want to come here to self incriminate just to get every one pounding on yourself? There are not many Simon Cowell.  ;D ;D

Well said.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 09:37:56 PM »

i've taken plenty of camera phone photos. they dont need to be full body shots for them to look good.

Camera phone fish on the rocks = dead

No blood hound mentallity, its people trying to educate other people. Maybe they weren't worded the way you wanted, or very nicely but they get the point across. Live fish do not belong on the shore and then back into the water!
Fish killer 101

jon5hill

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 09:55:47 PM »

Thanks Steelhawk, I couldn't agree more.

J

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 09:57:21 PM »

Iv never taken a picture of a wild steelhead or pulled it out from the water and Ill keep it this way. I would only consider taking a picture if I had someone to assist me in a quick flash. There is no reason for a fish to ever hit the rocks or come out of the water unless you plan on retaining.
The Bigger The Better!

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 10:23:27 PM »

J it was your words not mine, "if i intended to respect the fish........" I don't mean to be a blood hound by any means but you do have to admit that you incriminated yourself. Heck people get mad if you use a tailing glove!!! much less put a Steelie on the beach for a pic and then back again.

jon5hill

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 11:01:08 PM »

I just think it's a bit of a paradox to both respect and actively fish for them.

goblin59

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 11:11:56 PM »

It's getting to the point in here where you're almost better off not postings pics at all.... I bow to all you "purests"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 11:15:49 PM »

It's getting to the point in here where you're almost better off not postings pics at all.... I bow to all you "purests"

Oh? I thought that we already passed that point two years ago...