Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mill lake  (Read 6885 times)

daver

mill lake
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:42:37 PM »

i have seen a thread on a different site with guys bragging about catching and retaining broodstock out of mill lake. i am just curious if anyone here would do the same. i always c and r at mill, i figure if they dont want you to swim in there, ya probably wouldnt wanna eat anything out of there... and beat old brooders ta boot??

Blackgivesway2blue

Re: mill lake
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 07:54:24 PM »

Daver, im on the same site (sharphooks) in the comments Mr.Grey says he releases them.

daver

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 08:09:01 PM »

first, my post never said anything about mr grey, although if you have been around the other site for long, you will know that he does sometime keep fish from mill, and his handling ethics have been brought into question more than once. i was asking if anyone else keeps fish out of mill lake let alone broodstock. thanks though

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 08:10:59 PM »

oh sorry i read that wrong then :-[

ssd0904

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 01:13:09 PM »

Why DONT YOU keep it? ??? I mean im just starting freshawater fishing and i havent caught anything but if i do, i'll bring them home..

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 03:22:31 PM »

Why DONT YOU keep it? ??? I mean im just starting freshawater fishing and i havent caught anything but if i do, i'll bring them home..

those broodstock trout are really gross looking, they are okay to eat but the look very unappealing, i just release them so they can get bigger and catch em again ;D P.S thats not me in the pic
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:25:25 PM by Blackgivesway2blue »

ssd0904

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »

So then.. Where is a place that you can ACTAULLY eat the fish?

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 04:55:51 PM »

So then.. Where is a place that you can ACTAULLY eat the fish?

im not saying you cant eat fish from there, im just saying that the broodstock are not very good looking.  but the smaller ones you catch that look like this i asume are pretty good eating, i dont keep the fish out of lakes like that so i wouldnt know.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:58:59 PM by Blackgivesway2blue »

wizard

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 05:06:10 PM »

In all honesty I would not consider keeping a fish from Milll lake no matter what size. 

This is just me, but the bigger the fish, the easier it is to let it go...from any lake! I do not fish to keep fish, and if I was going to, I wouldn't out of Mill.  To each their own, but this is just me.  Generally speaking in interior lakes I won't keep anything bigger then 17 inches or so.  I know LOTS of people keep ANYTHING they catch...but everyone's different.  I hope there;s alot of people who are also like me and I like to think if I let a fish go, someone else will have the chance to have the same enjoyment out of it that I did.  plus c'mon, how good do those brooders actually taste? Not good enough to justify keeping them imho.  Catch and release fishing is something that should be promoted, for everyone's (including the fishes) benefit.  plus it just feels good to let 'em swim away to live another day, come back and catch'em again!!!

ssd0904

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 07:54:24 PM »

I dono.. I mean, i have a family who doesnt fish at all, and hates fishing, and the only reason they give me a ride is in a hope of eating a fish that i catch. I dono, maybe i'll try it out and tell you guys if it's good or bad. But where do you catch and eat fish from? Rivers?

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 08:21:34 PM »

I dono.. I mean, i have a family who doesnt fish at all, and hates fishing, and the only reason they give me a ride is in a hope of eating a fish that i catch. I dono, maybe i'll try it out and tell you guys if it's good or bad. But where do you catch and eat fish from? Rivers?

me, i dont keep alot of fish from the lower mainland, i only keep fish from lakes up in the Caribou and places like that.

ssd0904

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 08:38:24 PM »

Oh.. OK.. Im still keepin it and askin how to cook it so it doesnt taste like mud like other people tell me.

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 08:43:28 PM »

Oh.. OK.. Im still keepin it and askin how to cook it so it doesnt taste like mud like other people tell me.

yea yea good idea, im sure there are some guys on here that can help you on how to cook it and taste good.  Check out the Fish Kitchen probobly some people have already asked the same question

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 09:46:39 PM »

Here's some Mill Lake fish:

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 12:33:54 AM »

Prior to stockings of catchable rainbow trout at lakes such as Mill Lake, their water quality is sampled by staff at the Ministry of Environment. This is to ensure that the water is good enough for stocking. We certainly do not want to put in a bunch of fish and only to have them die off days later. These catchable rainbow trout are not cheap to raise. They are certainly good enough for eating.

That being said, most anglers who have experienced fisheries other than the catchable rainbow trout fishery will not keep these fish because there are more favourable fish to retain in other lakes and rivers of BC. There's nothing wrong for entry level anglers to keep some of these catchable rainbow trout for eating. I kept some many years ago too. This is the fun aspect of fishing in BC. As one's angling experiences progress, he or she will discover something better each time.

With the large broodstock fish, if you wish to keep them, go ahead, but they most likely do not taste very good considering what they have been used for at the hatchery. Releasing these large fish also allow other anglers (particularly young ones) to have an opportunity to catch one.

Good luck.