Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stave river cutthroat  (Read 15060 times)

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
stave river cutthroat
« on: February 05, 2010, 06:59:35 PM »

wonder what will work for the cutties and were the hotspots are thanks i fly fish and spincast
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

wizard

Re: stave river cutthroat
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:56:54 AM »

I went for a walk at the stave yesterday and all I saw was a big cow sea lion up at the dam ::)  I've see seals and sea lions there before, but never in the middle of winter. 

Can't help you much with the hotspots...but they're easy enough to find. Stave is an easy river to cover ground, just start high and work your way down.  as others have mentioned in other posts...egg patterns or flesh flies or small fry patterns.  I was getting action few years ago on spratley patterns.  right now is not the best time but its good to get out there any time of year.

SD49

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 02:16:36 PM »

I've been seeing more and more Sea Lions in the past few years in the Stave. Last year, there were two bulls working the last remnants of Chum...those things are huge. Hopefully, they don't eat every steelhead returning this year. They can do serious damage to this small run of fish salmon...probably less than 50 fish per year return. I've had a bull Sea Lion come full speed  at myself and a fishing partner. We were wading about waist deep, in a shallow bay and this sea lion bull was chasing a coho, who decided to use us as cover in an attempt to escape. The bull nearly knocked my buddy over when it zoomed past...scary. (not sure if he caught that one)

SD49

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:18:13 PM »

ooops, meant 'small run of steelhead'...not salmon....

spey

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 05:41:58 PM »

seals or sea-lions?

Ive seen lots of seals in the stave, but i thinks its a little 2 shallow for sea-lions

SD49

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 08:09:45 PM »

No...sea lions..I know the difference....

spey

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 11:26:30 PM »

No...sea lions..I know the difference....

lol ok I'll take your word for it

steve B

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 04:46:22 PM »

im new fishing at the stave river whats the toilet bowl or bowl where is it from the boat launch went up there today tide was going out around 2 pm no action on spoons no signs of life there those cutties hard to find i heard some steelies are early this year

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 07:42:15 PM »

The large area in front of the boat launch is the toilet bowl.  Try working deep on both sides of the out flow from the spawning channel.  There and the seam up by the dam.  Walk the west side casting to "fishy" looking water as you go.  Don't expect to much but you will get rewarded from time to time.  As for steelies, to me that would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack.  To much water to cover for so few fish.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:20:12 PM by hookmeup »

steve B

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 05:12:40 PM »

well then i was fishing those excat locations today not much that seam upstream of the foot bridge couple bites on a silver 1/4 oz spoon ya ypu need a boat for sure to find those steelhead i see alot of people flyfishin there has anyone had any luck fishin the east side bank on the left side of boat launch i walk up and down that bank but ive had nothin arethose cutties feeding on eggs or salmon fry

steve B

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 12:58:21 PM »

is the stave river a Tidal freshwater river like the fraser or non tidal ? Go Fish BC was there 2 days ago whats that black sleeve thing for fish count ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 01:16:07 PM »

Although the the entire Stave River below the dam is influenced by the tide, the tidal boundary of this system is the CPR Bridge near where it enters the Fraser River. Downstream from the bridge is designated as tidal, upstream from the bridge is designated as freshwater.

Stave River's general regulations can be found at:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/0911/fish-synopsis_2009-11_region2.pdf

Stave River's salmon regulations can be found at:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.htm

fly fisher

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 01:16:26 PM »

is the stave river a Tidal freshwater river like the fraser or non tidal ? Go Fish BC was there 2 days ago whats that black sleeve thing for fish count ?
no it is fresh water all the way to the mouth or bridge i believe.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:26:33 PM by fly fisher »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 01:19:05 PM »

no it is fresh water all the way to the mouth i believe.

Read above. Don't post what you believe, rather what you know. You do not want to be responsible for giving out incorrect information that may lead to violations by those who are misinformed.

fly fisher

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 01:27:59 PM »

Read above. Don't post what you believe, rather what you know. You do not want to be responsible for giving out incorrect information that may lead to violations by those who are misinformed.
we posted basically at the same time rod so don't hassle me but that bull trout you caught was a beaut.