Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maria Slough, February 13th 2010  (Read 4848 times)

Piranha

Maria Slough, February 13th 2010
« on: February 13, 2010, 08:31:23 PM »

Fished there today underneath the bridge and not much going on. Caught only 1 cutthroat about 10".  I was told to fish upstream but looking at the mapbook the slough is surrounded by an Indian reserve so I was not sure where to fish. Anyone been there and can tell me where it's okay to fish? On the west side of the slough I did not get very far because of the mud and not sure if that was the same on the other side. I stepped in the wrong place and was in mud up to my knees and was stuck there for about 10 minutes. >:(  lol
 it's tough fishing the slough when you don't know the place.  ???

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Maria Slough, February 13th 2010
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:42:07 AM »

you are damn lucky you didnt get stuck there in the mud alot longer. I got stuck up to my kness as a preteen (both legs) and had to get pulled out by 4 grown adults  :o perhaps you will take a stick to check the ground in areas you dont know  ;) I know i do and its saved me from sinking really deep so far.

Im not sure where to fish around Maria Slough as i have not been there but keep meaning to head out there in summer  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

mykisscrazy

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 12:26:03 PM »

There is a book called - Fishing spots in the Fraser Valley.
Unfortunately I don't remember who I lent my copy out to, but it describes in detail areas to fish and access points of Maria Slough

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 02:42:59 PM »

http://www.hancockhouse.com/products/fishot.htm
 by Richard Probert - a fellow I fished by up there (told him the slough used to be empty till the book came out) told me all the locals hate him!
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 10:31:53 PM »

Let RalphH know if you see any sockeye at Maria! ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 12:13:43 PM »

haven't seen any last year or two but often spot R.G. sulking in the high grass at the river edge peering at the water muttering no frrickin' sockeye here, not now not ever!
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

rymack

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 01:24:51 PM »

I actually saw a sockeye there one September/October many years ago...maybe 2000 ish? anyway i was trying for coho and saw the sockeye swim by my feet...pretty much a zombie all red with a green head  but it was definitely a sockeye!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 09:31:57 PM »

haven't seen any last year or two but often spot R.G. sulking in the high grass at the river edge peering at the water muttering no frrickin' sockeye here, not now not ever!
LOL. Forgot that R.G. was your antagonist in that exchange. You're a good sport Ralphie.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 07:24:40 AM »

for the record Maria is one of many streams that have "small but persistent" populations of "River Sockeye", where the young do not rear in a lake but in side channels and backwaters:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consultation/wsp-pss/2008/docs-eng/CUsites.pdf

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119094536/abstract