Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, February 20th 2010  (Read 1984 times)

drh

Chilliwack River, February 20th 2010
« on: February 20, 2010, 10:11:29 PM »

I started in the canal first light and only seen one fish retained a11ish lber.I went up river and fished my favorite haunts and came up blanked till about 3pm when I hooked into and lost 2 big fish in the teens [they were both jumpers] at a run I haven't fished this year yet.I bit off the bad hook and tied on a new one but couldn't coax another fish to bite the offerings I threw at them.3:30 now and determined to go home with a fish today I decided to drive down and fish the zone from the other side convinced it  would be easier  to land a fish from there. I parked my truck  walked briskly and was back in the zone shortly after 4p.m .I pounded bugs and roe through the zone that produced an hour earlier and came up empty. Undeterred I moved up and stated to cast in close to shore with a fresh bait on and the float went down,a heavy fish that wouldn't;t show its self headed down river rolling and twisting in the line and I followed stumbling over the log jams behind.It took about 10 Min's to see it was a hatch buck ,I managed to pull him to the shallows scoop him out of the  river and bonk bleed him and weighed in at the on way 11.5lbs.All in all not a bad day on the Vedder.Oh ya Thanks TNT Thomas for the hints last week ;) ;D

Fisherama

Re: Chilliwack River, February 20th 2010
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 11:03:24 PM »

Congrats on the hatch!  3 fish hooked sounds like a GREAT day on the Vedder.  Keep up the good work.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 07:15:14 PM »

Beauty day to be out ,thought i would post a pic of one of the areas i was on sat,i started first light in the lower river ,the water was in good shape ,after flogging several great looking runs with no success i moved up the mid river area after throwing everything at em it still resulted in no hookups,next stop i decided to hike into an upper river area of which i had all to myself ,starting at the top of the run and working my way down through the pocket water i finally hit a small wild,it was the only fish i saw hooked on the river all day and after talking to several other fisherman it seems for the most part it was a pretty slow day with rumours of the odd fish taken here and there,but regardless of success or not being able to walk the river on such a great day is reward enough.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

yoda

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 09:09:30 PM »

Was an awesome day to be out on saturday, usually don't go out on weekends but what the heck? fished late morning and all afternoon. was quite slow, helped a person i know to realease about a 16lb wild. we both agreed no pictures to stress this fish out seeing as it had given such a good fight! ran into penn and him not hooking one yet for the season we fished the late afternoon. as we were working through a run penn said i guess it is going to be one of those BANG!!  my float goes down and steel churns and burns!! not even being able to keep up with the antics of this fish, it rockets and after a few spirited runs jumps out and spits the hook and says back at you buddy! now the adrenaline is pumping a little more from penn so he grabs some of my yarn and heads back up to the head of the run and within about 2 casts has a nice size one on. this fish put on a very excitable fight, about 10 min long, and after seeing that it was a hatch doe of about 13lbs penn brought it in and disposed it with a wood shampoo! nice to see the excitement of that first steelhead of the year on his face.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:13:38 PM »

Congrats Penn and Yoda!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:47:40 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 10:32:26 PM »

Congrats Penn and Yoda!

Unfortunately without pictures though the stories are just words!  ;D

I trust them. ;D ;D

yoda

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 11:11:28 PM »

thanks chris, not my right to post others pics without permission, as well would'nt be right to draw a gong show to where the fish were.

penn

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 06:00:43 PM »

Managed to get the wild sister of the saturday fish on Sunday . About the same size , nice fight . So that's two for two on the week end for me .