Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First trout on the Fraser  (Read 5402 times)

eat_sleep_fish

First trout on the Fraser
« on: February 21, 2010, 07:35:52 PM »

Well, after 4 unsuccesfull trips to the inter-tidal Fraser River so far this year, I finally got one!  It happened so fast, it took a small crocodile about 15 feet from shore.  First it hit and I lost it right away, then 5 casts or so later, bam!   I was in a rush to take a quick pic and release it, that I didn't even really get a good look at it.  I think it was a dolly, and I don't recall seeing an adipose fin, and can't see one from the picture.   Are there hatchery dollies in the Fraser?  It had a pretty sizeable scar on the side as well.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:21:08 AM by eat_sleep_fish »

Blackgivesway2blue

Re: First trout on the Fraser
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 07:40:24 PM »

Well, after 4 unsuccesfull trips to the inter-tidal Fraser River, I finally got one!  It happened so fast, it took a small crocodile about 15 feet from shore.  First it hit and I lost it right away, then 5 casts or so later, bam!   I was in a rush to take a quick pic and release it, that I didn't even really get a good look at it.  I think it was a dolly, and I don't recall seeing an adipose fine, and can't see one from the picture.   Are there hatchery dollies in the Fraser?  It had a pretty sizeable scare on the side as well.

iunno, i think bulltrout because of the red dots and the brownish colour.  But you could be right Dolly Varden, Nice fish BTW  ;)

eat_sleep_fish

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 07:45:55 PM »

Thanks!  I was thinking a  dolly, as I thought the spots were whitish, not red, and, it's hard to see from the poor quick pictures, but it had the long skinny body that I always see on dollies.   I've never caught a bull trout before, so could very well be wrong on the ID, and I'd love it if someone with more experience and an eye for fish species could put down the definitive word.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 11:04:30 PM »

Congratulations eat_sleep_fish, it's good to see some success being posted in this area. Although I have wandered down to the Tidal Fraser River a couple of times per week just for a few casts this year, it has been unsuccessful.

Regarding bull trout and dolly varden, the two species look remarkably similar and even trained biologists often have difficulty distinguishing the two, so not to worry about it. The two species co-exist in similar habitat in coastal watershed around the Pacific Northwest. Bull trout is primarily an inland species that has expanded its population toward the coast, where dolly varden primarily inhabit, since the last glaciation. The two species also interbreed and there are hybrids, so identification is even harder in this case.

In the Fraser River, most of the char that you encounter are bull trout, at least the ones that we have sampled via DNA analysis in recent years.

There are no hatchery augmentation on these two char species, so it's unlikely to encounter an adipose clipped bull trout or dolly varden. On the other hand, there is an ongoing coastal cutthroat trout hatchery program in the Fraser Valley, so you are more likely to come across adipose clipped cutthroat trout.

Anyway, fishing for these species will only improve from now on and peak in april and part of May in the Tidal Fraser. Good luck.

eat_sleep_fish

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 11:50:13 PM »

Congratulations eat_sleep_fish, it's good to see some success being posted in this area. Although I have wandered down to the Tidal Fraser River a couple of times per week just for a few casts this year, it has been unsuccessful.

Regarding bull trout and dolly varden, the two species look remarkably similar and even trained biologists often have difficulty distinguishing the two, so not to worry about it. The two species co-exist in similar habitat in coastal watershed around the Pacific Northwest. Bull trout is primarily an inland species that has expanded its population toward the coast, where dolly varden primarily inhabit, since the last glaciation. The two species also interbreed and there are hybrids, so identification is even harder in this case.

In the Fraser River, most of the char that you encounter are bull trout, at least the ones that we have sampled via DNA analysis in recent years.

There are no hatchery augmentation on these two char species, so it's unlikely to encounter an adipose clipped bull trout or dolly varden. On the other hand, there is an ongoing coastal cutthroat trout hatchery program in the Fraser Valley, so you are more likely to come across adipose clipped cutthroat trout.

Anyway, fishing for these species will only improve from now on and peak in april and part of May in the Tidal Fraser. Good luck.

Hey Rod!  Thanks for the info.  It was your article on the inter-tidal Fraser that motivated me to go after these fish.  My strategy has been to pretty much ignore tides and weather, but rather just get a trip out there when I have room in my schedule and hope for the best.   I keep an eye out for you though, as I know this area is one of your haunts.   After reading your descriptions of this fishery, I was mentally prepared for many trips with no success, so catching a fish today was thrilling.

Where/when do these dollies or bull trout spawn?  I have read that coastal cutthroats travel in schools, is it the same with these?  Are they as mobile and willing to go into the open ocean as a cutthroat?   I have heard that cuts can travel quite far.  Lot's of questions, I know!  I will be out chasing them for the next few months I think,

Tight lines,

Rob (eat_sleep_fish)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 11:55:57 PM by eat_sleep_fish »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:55:32 AM »

Good job and nice fish.  I have been out a lot this year and have no dollies or cutties to show for it.   I did run into a guy that said he got 5 dollies on Saturday fishing the North Arm with bait so I think it is definitely heating up around here.

May I ask if your were fishing on an incoming or outgoing tide?

eat_sleep_fish

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 10:12:40 AM »

Good job and nice fish.  I have been out a lot this year and have no dollies or cutties to show for it.   I did run into a guy that said he got 5 dollies on Saturday fishing the North Arm with bait so I think it is definitely heating up around here.

May I ask if your were fishing on an incoming or outgoing tide?

I think it was an outgoing tide, but I am not sure.  It was Sunday Feb. 21 at between 2 and 3 pm, probably right around 2:30

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 10:18:11 AM »

You can see the adipose fin in the "net" shot.  Those bulls/dollies will be getting really fat soon!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 04:31:45 PM »

The schooling behaviour of trout and char in the Fraser River is not really the same as what is observed in pelagic species in the ocean such as tuna, salmon, herring, etc. Pelagic species school in the ocean primarily for avoid being eaten by larger predators. Salmon travel in masses due to their specific spawning time. Trout and char in the Fraser River travel upstream during salmon spawning months and stage in tributaries throughout the winter to feed on all the food items that are available (salmon eggs, carcass flesh, invertebrates, salmon fry). They spawn in around this time of the year, but not all are spawners.

Most of the feeders also travel upstream with the spawners, but some are also found along the Fraser River down to the mouth where it enters the ocean. I've caught bull trout (but hardly many cutthroat trout) between December and February, but success rate is low. March and April are typically very hot, when fish start moving downstream from the tributaries. These fish are well fed and continue to feed on salmon fry that are migrating downstream. I find the ones I catch during spring are much more powerful than the ones in the fall.

In the Tidal Fraser River, although they don't school like what salmon would do, I find fish tend to bundle up together in the same area. That's usually where the food items are. If I catch one, I usually would spend more time in the same area. Most of the time it would result in more hook-ups. Occasionally it wouldn't, but that's fishing. I also find that if I come back to the same area on the following days, I would catch more fish, even though fish probably had moved out with the outgoing tide, They usually come back with the tide, knowing that there's probably more food to eat. I've also caught the same fish in the same area within a couple of days.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 11:23:59 PM »

Looks like I will need to take tomorrow afternoon off! :)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 11:25:54 AM »

I think it was an outgoing tide, but I am not sure

I have been unlucky in the fact I've been stuck fishing low tides this year.  Thanx for the info and good luck on future outings.

eat_sleep_fish

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 05:48:33 PM »

I have been unlucky in the fact I've been stuck fishing low tides this year.  Thanx for the info and good luck on future outings.

The water was very low, but I think that it was still out going when the fish was caught.  I don't know though, you're best bet of course would be to use your tide table and look up what the tides were at 2:30 ish on Sunday :)  I don't have one, I just head out there when I have the time!