Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: learning to fly fishing  (Read 8850 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
learning to fly fishing
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:30:06 PM »

I was hoping to take up fly fishing this spring/summer and was wondering what should a rookie do? I would probaby start flying fishing with the intention of fishing for trout in small lakes and rivers...perhaps move up to salmon one day. what kind of rod should I start out with? buying flies vs. making your own, best way to learn how to cast properly.
any info would be great
thanks in advance

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
Re: learning to fly fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 03:37:49 PM »

i would recommend a five weight. if you go to hub they have couple of good combos for a good price. the will most likley be able to help you out.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 04:20:27 PM »

This topic has been covered many times, there is a wealth of disagreeing thought out there to help you choose what setup to run with :)

Some brief thoughts ... 6 wt 9ft rod, simple reel with disc drag, scientific anglers headstart floating line.  Have the fly shop put the backing/line on for you and show you some knots for tying leader to fly line and tippet to leader.  Practice casting on days that are not windy and do it on a playing field.  Get lessons if you can afford to.  Buy flies at first and learn how they work IMO.  Tying your own from the get go can be frustrating if they are not good ties.  That said once you do tie your own the rewards are tenfold :)

know your knots and have fun

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 07:38:08 PM »

I totally disagree with Marmot, the idea that tying your own flies would increase enjoyment ten fold is just silly. Five fold maybe but ten fold no that's just too much   :D Oh but the other stuff is pretty much summed up perfectly.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 07:50:30 PM »

--hang out at your local fly shop... they aren't going to rip you off as they know once you get hooked you'll buy a ton more stuff.
--local fly club usually have fish outs with members that could help you out.

--if you can figure out where and what you're going to fish for this will help the fly shop guys point you in the right direction.

--if you're already a serious fisher it wouldn't hurt to get decent equipment up front as it isn't likely to go to waist.
--today's moderately priced outfits are quite good. don't be afraid to try out a few demo rods from the shop. get one that feels right for you as well as take in the advice of the experts. 

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 08:42:47 PM »

I started on a 6wt and it helped alot with building up casting confidence.  Plus it will cover the widest range of fish and fishing conditions, while still being alot of fun to fish.  Caught my first coho last fall with it and it was about 10lbs.  Getting to know a good fly shop is very important, most are very helpful and can guide you with the ins and outs of how to fish different places.  

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 12:38:03 AM »

where do you live Vancook ???
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 07:00:47 AM »

thanks for the information guys, really good to know.

HOOK, I live in vancouver near burnaby. You live in Surrey right? I remember you asking me this before on another thread. Im out in Surrey right by Guildford several times a week.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 11:55:13 AM »

I just think its strange that everyone says to take a casting class but noone is willing to step up to help out. I have been fly fishing long enough i could get you casting im pretty sure  ;) I have tought a couple of my ex's before and will be teaching a family member once the weather warms up  ;D

Email me once you have your rod and stuff put together and we will see what we can work out, keep in mind im not a casting instructor or anything so a class would still be a good idea because everyone forms bad habits in casting and instructors can remedy these  ;) Im actually going to be taking one for spey casting this year just to fine tune.

jimmybob_69@msn.com

talk later
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 10:35:11 AM »

I just think its strange that everyone says to take a casting class but noone is willing to step up to help out.

I've taught some friends to cast...now they have my bad habits :)  It is a lot less frustrating and relationship straining if you learn from an instructor!

jimmywits

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 06:37:08 PM »

I was hoping to take up fly fishing this spring/summer and was wondering what should a rookie do? I would probaby start flying fishing with the intention of fishing for trout in small lakes and rivers...perhaps move up to salmon one day. what kind of rod should I start out with? buying flies vs. making your own, best way to learn how to cast properly.
any info would be great
thanks in advance
I give beginner fly-fishermen the same advice every time, pick up a copy of "The Gilly" This is the bible of fly-fishing in British Columbia. It is a compilation of all the fly-fishing Guru's, writing about their specialties and covers everything you need to know about all facets of fly-fishing. I reread mine every year at the beginning of my season. The neat thing is it is exclusively about British Columbia. It is no longer in publication, but there are plenty of used book stores that have copies,just Google it. You will never regret the time and effort expended to obtain this masterpiece. Tight lines

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 12:13:34 PM »

Thanks for all the tips and info everyone

HOOK, I will email you once I pick up a rod and reel. Going to start looking to buy probably in the next couple of weeks. Most likely will go to Sea-Run for my set up as they've been good to me.

jimmywits, I'll have to look for that book. Or at least try and find a copy in the library to read

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »

I would say "The Gilly" is a bit advanced for a beginner, I know I found it that way, when it was first off the press. I would suggest "Fly Fishing the Trout Lakes" as a starter, then after you have a season under your belt, study the "Gilly."
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 05:45:22 PM »

I would say "The Gilly" is a bit advanced for a beginner, I know I found it that way, when it was first off the press. I would suggest "Fly Fishing the Trout Lakes" as a starter, then after you have a season under your belt, study the "Gilly."

Yeah I'd echo this for sure.  Pick one up though, won't do you any harm, that's for sure.

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 06:14:09 PM »

Try calling Mike at the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery (504-4716) and see if you can arrange a learn to flyfish at the ponds out back.
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown