Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Francis Lake, March 6th 2010  (Read 1468 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Francis Lake, March 6th 2010
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:47:18 AM »

I hit the Lake around 1000.  I was drifting in my inflatable (note to self - bring the ANCHOR next time...dummy.)  and casting as well as trolling.  I tried a black doc spratley on sinking and floating, red doc on sinking and floating, bead headed nymph on sinking and floating as well as black leach on sinking.  4.5 hours of gorgeous fishing with not a single fish.  There were only a few small 3-4 inch risers and other than that the lake was pretty calm.  A few boats joined around 1pm - no love for them either.  They were trying Chronies.

A couple guys chucking worms from the shore hit a couple of nice 10-12 inch fish just as I was taking out at 1430-1445.  Slow day.

It was really nice being ALL alone on the lake and watching the buffleheads and mergansers and hearing the woodpeckers working on their homes.  The odd quad and dirtbike roared by but other than that.... lovely.

The road up to the lake has been deactivated - again since they have finished logging up there.  The harrison main indicated that it would be closed at km 0 on the 9th.

Tight lines!

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Francis Lake, March 6th 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:01:30 AM »

While having coffee with Bill Otway at the show last weekend, I found out that there is government money available for fishing access. I would say that road closure is a target for that kind of money. Bill told me that Brian Chan is a good contact person for details.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

mykisscrazy

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 11:42:59 AM »

How far is the walk to the lake?
Road I'd like to see reopened is the one to Chehalis Lake....

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 03:41:15 PM »

While having coffee with Bill Otway at the show last weekend, I found out that there is government money available for fishing access. I would say that road closure is a target for that kind of money. Bill told me that Brian Chan is a good contact person for details.
I don't think it's a PERMANENT closure.  They are actively logging on the Harrison main, right near wolfe(?) lake.  They are doing some serious work on the road etc... probably just a few days.
No walk.  Drive right in.... 4x4 with a bit clearance only.  A couple of the ditches are deep enough that something like a subi wouldn't be too happy :)

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 04:48:54 AM »

ouch, if remember right it has 37 cross ditches from bottom to top:)

yamadirt 426

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 07:26:04 AM »

chehalis is no problem in my stock tracker. They just have the slide blocked off.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 08:11:20 AM »

ouch, if remember right it has 37 cross ditches from bottom to top:)
Certainly felt like more...  the mottled sun hid one or two of them... WHAM!!! everything in the truck got a bit of re-arrangement on those!  :o