Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kawkawa Lake, March 9th 2010  (Read 3909 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Kawkawa Lake, March 9th 2010
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:59:58 PM »

After turning a boat into a bathtub last week, we vowed that we would not return to Kawkawa Lake if there is a slightest chance of rain in the forecast. Yesterday Fishersak left a message saying that he would be going today. I looked at the forecast, shower in Vancouver but reasonably nice for Hope. With some convincing, Nina gave it the green light and we left the house this morning at 9:00am. ;D

Along the way, I phoned Fishersak first and was told that Marco and his friends would be joining us too as the saltchuck was blowing too hard for them to take the boat out. I then phoned Nick the master to see if he was taking advantage of the only dry day of the week. He was already at the boat launch. This was turning into another group outing. :)

We arrived at the launch and was greeted by a friendly cat, sunshine and a glass calm lake. It was looking good. Occasional rises could be spotted. Fishersak and I quickly set up the boats. Nina and I departed from the launch first just before Marco arrived at the launch. We anchored nearby and fished while waiting for Fishersak. It only took a cast before a hungry cuttie grabbed the floating krill. Fishersak approached us soon after and told us some bad news. While getting ready, his backdoor shut itself with the two fly rods still sticking out from the car. Both snapped instantly. :-\ He had to use one of Marco's rod for the trip.

Once we were organized, we motored over to where Nick and his friends were anchoring because, of course, that was where the fish would be. :P We anchored, set up one rod with the float rig while having a bottom rig on the other one. There were a few fish rolling on the surface, but definitely not as frequent as last week. It appeared most of the feeding fish were on the bottom, perhaps due to the presence of sunlight. Nick and his friends were having no problem catching them at 40ft deep, but my krill at that depth didn't seem to be so enticing.

It took a good 20 minutes or so before there was a tap on the bottom rod. I hooked it on the following tap. The reflex is always at its sharpest at the beginning of the outing. Second and third fish followed soon after, then the frustration began. Perhaps it was the choppy waves, or the sun glare, we soon found ourselves missing one fish after another one. There were plenty of bites for over one hour and we came up empty handed. Nick, who was anchored nearby, could see how frustrated we were and how funny it was, started teasing us about it. Before the end of the outing, we managed to hooked a couple more, so it was not too bad after all. Despite of the absence of rain, it was still a rather chilly day. The air temperature must have been no more than 5C. By 4:00pm, our toes could not handle so we called it the day.

The most exciting part of today was the size of the fish that we retained. Three of the six kept fish were 13 inches long, while the other three were 11 inches long, same as last week's fish. The longer fish are one year older than the 11 inchers and their girth easily dwarfed the smaller ones. Here is a photo of two of the catches. The top one being the 13 incher while the bottom one being the 11 incher.

One last thing, while taking photos of these two fish back at the floating dock, I decided to wash the bigger one in the water. While doing so, the bigger one slipped out of my hands and instantly sank to the bottom! I let out a scream, Nina and Fishersak came over to see what happened. This is not the first time for this to happen, the jack coho accident popped up on my mind immediately. ::) We then tried to scoop it out with the net, without success because the water was too deep. ::) We kept scooping while Marco and his friends in their boat showed up in the background. They joined in with laughter. Knowing how good Marco is at flossing fish, I handed my fishing rod to him right away. He dropped it down and attempted to hook it. I turned around to see something, turned back, Marco already had it on the line! He gently dragged it up but it fell off the line on the surface. We screamed, Fishersak made a quick scoop with his net, back into the cooler the fish went. ;D Talk about professional flossing, ahem, snagging service. ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:07:23 PM by Rodney »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Kawkawa Lake, March 9th 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:38:02 PM »

Nice report, I believe I saw you do the same to a chinook jack a couple of years ago. ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:59:41 PM »

Damn flossers  ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 12:12:48 AM »

Nice report, I believe I saw you do the same to a chinook jack a couple of years ago. ;D ;D

Yeah you're right. Kill and release, something I need to stop practicing. :-\

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 12:39:39 AM »

hey Rod, would you like to borrow some bigger hands  ;) ha ha ha nice story  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 12:11:05 PM »

Hi Rod, since the lake requires a boat for fishing are there any boat rentals at the lake? Or would you suggest I invest in a float tube? I've wanted to buy a small lake boat but I don't think my civic is suitable for towing anything.
 thanks

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 12:59:56 PM »

There's no boat rental at that lake. I've seen float tubers in there from time to time, but personally I wouldn't invest in one for that lake because the water is COLD. One option would be to invest in an inflatable boat.

Berry's Bait and Tackle rents out float tubes (maybe not anymore, not too sure) so you may want to rent one and try it out once, to see if you can tolerate the cold water. ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:01:33 PM by Rodney »

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 02:50:54 PM »

Despite snapping 2 of my favorite rods, it was a good day. (or at least as good as it can get  after such an incident!!)

The view from my boat:

The Dudes in their party boat...

Plenty of fish...

Rod, whats up with all that bundling....you guys look like your dressed for an artic adventure.  Anyone else notice that Rod saved the life vest for himself....and his wife is not wearing one!!!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:15:00 PM by fishersak »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 03:00:34 PM »

Anyone else notice that Rod saved the life vest for himself....and his wife is not wearing one!!!!

What can I say, husband of the year nominee. :D

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 03:12:25 PM »

Well you are not alone buddy, I broke a date with my wife to go fishing with you guys.  My wife mentioned something about my 2 broken rods and how karma always comes out even.... >:(    I guess I'll be cooking my own kokanee for dinner tonight.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:13:59 PM by fishersak »

rides bike to work

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 07:48:45 PM »

Just wondering about the kokanee in that particular lake ,are they naturallly reoccuring if so when and were do they spawn .Also how did the coho get in that lake?will they spawn?If so are they cohokanee?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 09:31:09 PM »

I have a question regarding these fish this year. I love this fishery as its one of my favorites. Is it just me or are the fish smaller this year. Last year I was on the Island so I never got to fish it. The year before I was getting lots of fish in the 14-16 inch range ( must have been 4 year fish? ) from the reports I have been getting most are in the 10-12 inch range ( mostly 2-3 year fish? ) Is it just the cycle that they are in right now?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

doja

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 10:21:41 PM »

Hi Rod, since the lake requires a boat for fishing are there any boat rentals at the lake? Or would you suggest I invest in a float tube? I've wanted to buy a small lake boat but I don't think my civic is suitable for towing anything.
 thanks

Another option is a SOT kayak. Don't know what your living condition is but if you have the room they are great to have as there is no having to deflate/inflate, much more durable, and you can take it in rivers, lakes and the ocean with much better launching options! I take mine out to  ambleside, belcarra, english bay for a variety of fishing and crabbing. And also the lakes when there is no ice, which is coming soon ;D I'm even taking it onto a local river for some steelhead and cutthroat fishing soon. Just have to put on a roof rack on, well you don't have too but I put a nice dent in the roof of my old car by tighten down too much. Your would have no problem with it on your car.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 02:09:48 PM »

I've asked Nick to answer the above questions as he is more qualified to do so. Here are his answers.

Just wondering about the kokanee in that particular lake ,are they naturallly reoccuring if so when and were do they spawn .Also how did the coho get in that lake?will they spawn?If so are they cohokanee?

As far as I know the main stock of kokanee in this lake evolved from a small run of sockeye that used to migrate up the outlet(Sucker creek) from the Coquihalla many years ago and spawn in the small spring fed creeks at the east end of the lake.As in the typical coastal anadromous river/lake scenario where small or large runs of sockeye do or used to exist a small % of the sockeye smolts residualize in the lake and become kokanee. This situation is present or was in Chilliwack lake, Cultus lake , Stave lake ,Alouette lake, Jones Lake, and Weaver lake. Some of these fisheries no longer exist but did many years ago. The 3 main stocks in the Upper Valley are Chilliwack lake, Jones(wahleach) lk and Kawkawa. The earliest to spawn is Chilliwack(Aug)  then Jones(Sept),and finally Kawkawa(Oct). The most significant and largest kokanee are in Kawkawa.The coho came into the lake the same as the sockeye and the same scenario took place. These residualized smolts have now formed their own population in the lake even though the adult run of coho has virtually disappeared . It appears that they also spawn in the east end creeks but later than the kokanee (Nov/Dec) so there is little chance of cross breeding even if it was possible. I have not witnessed any kokanee characteristics in the coho I have caught in the lake.Having said this I have caught kokanee with some spotting but I believe that a small % in any stock of kokanee have this characteristic and it is not related to the fact that coho are present in the lake.

I have a question regarding these fish this year. I love this fishery as its one of my favorites. Is it just me or are the fish smaller this year. Last year I was on the Island so I never got to fish it. The year before I was getting lots of fish in the 14-16 inch range ( must have been 4 year fish? ) from the reports I have been getting most are in the 10-12 inch range ( mostly 2-3 year fish? ) Is it just the cycle that they are in right now?

Kokanee have been in Kawkawa lk for at least 50 years. There is a spawning age group each year therefore there are all age groups of these fish  present in the lake all the time. These age groups are from 0+ years to 4+ years. The bulk of the kokanee spawn at 3+, however as in some sockeye stocks a small % will hold over for an extra year before spawning at 4+. For the past 35 years that I have been fishing this lake in the spring of the year the 3+ fish that will spawn that fall have averaged about 22-25cm. These same fish will average 32-34cm by July /Aug as they will  increase their size quite significantly from May to August of their spawning year (similar to coho in the ocean). The few fish that held over from the previous year(4+)  average 30-34cm at this time of  year. By July /Aug these fish will be in the 35-40cm range but will be much rarer to find as their numbers are few compared to the 3+ fish.Just a note that my observations are on actual measured fish not guesses. It is very easy to over estimate the lengths of these fish in the 33cm+ range as their bodies get much thicker and deeper by mid summer. Kokanee in Kawkawa lake at any time 38cm or larger are a rarity. Having said that, the fish (kokanee) at 3+this spring are the largest on average I have seen in the past 20years-averaging 28-30 cm for this year class. There are also some fish which I presume could be 4+ that are 32-34 cm which seems a bit smaller than I would have expected for this age class considering how big the 3+ fish are. Only time will tell but lets hope for some 40cm+ fish by July.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 05:10:08 PM »

Very good info as usual Rod. Now here is a picture of a fish from 2 years ago that was an average fish for me

Now keep in mind my hands are twice the size of yours LOL this fish is easily 14 inches. Maybe I was just 'lucky' in that I was just getting a bunch of 4 year fish?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family