Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cusheon Lake, saltspring island  (Read 11667 times)

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
Cusheon Lake, saltspring island
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:27:43 AM »

Was planning a trip to saltspring island and found cusheon lake.  Went to st.marys lake last june any got skunked for bass.  I was wondering since cusheon lake is smaller than st. marys would it be easier to fish?  If so then I will book a cabin there.  Any info/tips are appreciated. ;)

jimmywits

Re: Cusheon Lake, saltspring island
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 10:15:48 AM »

Was planning a trip to saltspring island and found cusheon lake.  Went to st.marys lake last june any got skunked for bass.  I was wondering since cusheon lake is smaller than st. marys would it be easier to fish?  If so then I will book a cabin there.  Any info/tips are appreciated. ;)

Don't give up on St Mary's it can be awesome. The odd skunking is to be expected that's why it's called fishing and not catching. Tight lines.  :D

noxcape

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:18:33 AM »

saint marys is ten million times better then cushoen in july you want to try top water baits because the small mouth in there are more active at that time of yeah try poppers and smaller buzzbaits

gman

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 01:02:38 PM »

I fished Cusheon Lake once in May. I thought I might cacth a bass, but instead caught numerous trout. If you have your own boat you can easily fish both lakes as they're not far apart.

Fisherama

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 01:10:14 PM »

Agreed! Don't give up on St. Mary's!  If you need advice on technique, there's a wealth of knowledge already in this forum and some videos made by Rod in the subscribers section.  In my experience, St. Mary's can be an interesting lake... On certain days I've had pretty much have non-stop action, hooking up every few casts, and on other days, it's slowed right down where I'm only catching a few fish.  For very productive days, a boat is pretty much a necessity.  Either way, St. Mary's is the way to go.  The unfortunate thing is it seems that most resorts around the lake require a minimum stay of a week during peak season now.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 01:24:53 PM »

Thats why i normally go in May and stay at Green acres.The boat comes with the cabin and the best fishing is right across the lake.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 01:27:22 PM »

saint marys is ten million times better then cushoen in july you want to try top water baits because the small mouth in there are more active at that time of yeah try poppers and smaller buzzbaits

I disagree, not whether St Mary produces better than Cusheon (as I have never fished Cusheon before), but the timing for St Mary. Topwater fishing, in my opinion, peaks in mid June (the timing varies slightly between years of course) and most of the good fishing is on the bottom by July. In July, we've done much better by tubebaiting while topwater lures only produce very small fish.

I thought I might cacth a bass, but instead caught numerous trout.

I think you're just cursed on that island for bass. ;) We plan to return in early June this year, the bass fishing should be better unlike last time. Interested?

In my experience, St. Mary's can be an interesting lake... On certain days I've had pretty much have non-stop action, hooking up every few casts, and on other days, it's slowed right down where I'm only catching a few fish.

I think it's just like any other fisheries. Fishing can be hot and cold, strategies need to change to adapt to the change in fish behaviours and sustain your success rate.

The unfortunate thing is it seems that most resorts around the lake require a minimum stay of a week during peak season now.

Lakeside Gardens Resort on our website still doesn't require minimum stay, not that I am aware of anyway (and mark the owner gives a discount to those who mention Fishing with Rod when booking). Especially May and June (which are what I consider as peak months for fishing). These resorts' peak months are usually July and August as they accommodate families during summer holidays. As I mentioned to Gman earlier in this post, we'll probably go back to Lakeside Gardens in early June. Maybe I should post up a firm date to see if anyone else would like to join us, turn it into a group trip.

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 07:11:53 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys!  Last time I went I think was end of june the bass were in spawn mode so I was told.  I will definately try some new strategys this time around.

gman

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 10:00:40 PM »

I think you're just cursed on that island for bass. ;) We plan to return in early June this year, the bass fishing should be better unlike last time. Interested?

I woujld definitelty ineterested as the big rainbows more than made up for our bass jinx. Unfortunately other commitmeents will keep us from going this year. Have fun. I really like that spot and we will be back one day soon.   :)

Robert_G

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 08:09:28 AM »

How do you get skunked Bass fishing?
There is more challenge in getting a yard dog to eat a steak then enticing a Bass to bite a lure. ;D

bklem

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 10:16:12 AM »

ive got a cabin on saltspring and i cant wait for the warmer weather to be sitting on a boat alllllllllllllllllll day haha

roseph

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 10:12:41 PM »

wondering if anyone can shed any light about fishing either of these lakes in March?   

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 10:19:32 PM »

wondering if anyone can shed any light about fishing either of these lakes in March?   

Bass fishing in the cold is very tough. When I lived on the Island I fished smallmouth allot. I would start right after ice off and would get skunked very often. It wasnt until the water temps went above 50 degrees that I would start getting some regular action.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

roseph

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 10:28:53 PM »

thanks for the info.  are the trout more active at these temps or is too cold for them as well?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »

thanks for the info.  are the trout more active at these temps or is too cold for them as well?

You would have more chance at the trout than the bass IMO. Still not easy with these current water temps. Any day fishing is a good day though

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family